Motorguide xi5/pinpoint problems

Brand new out of the box. This is my second one, so I'm familiar with how it operates. It works fine except for 2 things:
    1) The battery light is red all the time.
    2) When in spot lock, it constantly twists back and forth. Constantly. You can see in the video.

May have a old stock xi5 that requires a software update cable free from mg.

Check battiers with multi meter for volts?

Double check reseat all connections.
    All fishermen are liars except for you and me, and to tell you the truth, I'm not sure about you!

3. Member
    That thing needs a priest

4. Xpress Boats Moderator

I agree with Radeon, you either need the update or go thru the setup properly. This video is how mine works.

So over the last couple of days I've been trouble shooting using advice Motorguide tech support, forums and the manual. After nothing fixing the problem, I resorted to swapping out parts with my old unit to see which particular part is causing the problem. Turns out the control board is bad. Talked to MG tech support this morning again and got a good dude on the phone. After listening to my story and asking a few questions, he agreed it was the control board. He said it's not customary for them to deal with customers directly, but because the xi5 is a fairly new product and has some recent changes, they are handling them differently. Long story short, MG is sending me a new control board. I'm pleased that I own Motorguide TMs.

Quote Originally Posted by clint_1w View Post
    So over the last couple of days I've been trouble shooting using advice Motorguide tech support, forums and the manual. After nothing fixing the problem, I resorted to swapping out parts with my old unit to see which particular part is causing the problem. Turns out the control board is bad. Talked to MG tech support this morning again and got a good dude on the phone. After listening to my story and asking a few questions, he agreed it was the control board. He said it's not customary for them to deal with customers directly, but because the xi5 is a fairly new product and has some recent changes, they are handling them differently. Long story short, MG is sending me a new control board. I'm pleased that I own Motorguide TMs.
    Great news.
    I also called customer service and had a great experience.
    I had a small issue with my remote. No questions asked I had a new one in 2 days.
    Very happy so far.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

7. Member
    My xi5 is telling me my motor is stowed when it is in the down position? Anyone know what the problem could be? I have the HDS 10 Gen 2 but no touch. thanks
    Last edited by Crappiebait7; 02-22-2017 at 02:12 PM. Reason: added more info

8. Member
    Took motorguide 3 months and a dozen phone calls to get a control board for mine. They even lied and told me it shipped, when i never got it, i had to call back and they said they didnt ship it. I absolutely hate them from my experience
    Andy

2004 Pro Craft 192 SuperPro

Quote Originally Posted by Crappiebait7 View Post
    My xi5 is telling me my motor is stowed when it is in the down position? Anyone know what the problem could be? I have the HDS 10 Gen 2 but no touch. thanks

Welcome aboard . Is it locking in the down position ?
    Is this a new install ?
    Anthrax

Quote Originally Posted by aarchdale View Post
    Took motorguide 3 months and a dozen phone calls to get a control board for mine. They even lied and told me it shipped, when i never got it, i had to call back and they said they didnt ship it. I absolutely hate them from my experience
    Sorry for the bad experience
    I had the total opposite experience. One call about a simple question on my remote and the just sent me a new one and let me keep the old one. No questions asked , I now have 2 remotes
    Thanks Motorguide
    Anthrax

I have experience this when I deploy the TM before I power it up. Make sure the TM breaker is on and the Lowrance systems before the TM is deployed.

12. Member
    New install TMG and it is locking in the down position. Not to good at using the HDS side yet it's not touch.

New install TMG and it is locking in the down position. Not to good at using the HDS side yet it's not touch.

Not sure what that could be it shouldn't have anything to do with your hds.
    So it doesn't work.at all ?
    Anthrax

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TMG View Post
    Not sure what that could be it shouldn't have anything to do with your hds.
    So it doesn't work.at all ?

Sorry for pulling up the old thread? was this issue ever resolved? mine started giving me the same problem saying its stowed when its clearly deployed. The only way I can get it to work is by unplugging then plugging it back in while its deployed. It then stays turned on and loses its GPS signal while its stowed and then when I deploy it again I have to go through unplugging and plugging it back in.

15. Member
    tayzak15

Glad you pulled up this old thread! My Xi5 is not very reliable for the anchor feature, about 1 out of 4 trips it decides to go bonkers on me. It will keep spinning around until the cord is wrapped tight around the shaft. The GPS signal is flashing almost all of the time and I have repeatedly gone through all of the calibration steps. Last year I called the 800# and was told there was no patch or update for my motor which I bought in 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by bobkr3nn View Post
    tayzak15

Glad you pulled up this old thread! My Xi5 is not very reliable for the anchor feature, about 1 out of 4 trips it decides to go bonkers on me. It will keep spinning around until the cord is wrapped tight around the shaft. The GPS signal is flashing almost all of the time and I have repeatedly gone through all of the calibration steps. Last year I called the 800# and was told there was no patch or update for my motor which I bought in 2015.

Is it still under warranty ? I'd send it back. Mine holds awesome.
    One thing I did have a problem with is they are very low voltage sensitive. 6 gauge wire with a 60 amp breaker is what it needs. I had 8 gauge with a 40 amp and it kept shutting down.
    Anthrax

17. Member
    I can't get mine to work with the pedal, the spot lock feature that is. Morningside said it must be my pedal and take it in for service. Bought a new pedal,synced it and it still won't work. Any ideas?

Everything works but the spot lock button ?
    No idea what would cause that.
    Anthrax