Question 98 Mercury 200 efi bogging down on hole shot

98 Mercury 200 efi Serial # 0g740530 This motor uses premix fuel 16 oz oil to 6 gallon gas.This winter a new fuel pump in the vst tank was installed. new reeds installed. new plugs installed. it is getting fire to all the plugs at idle but i haven't checked it while trying to plane out. I have always had to rev the engine up in neutral to clear the plugs of excess oil before i could begin a holeshot. Yesterday i finally got it to get out of the hole and i ran it hard for 30 minutes. At one point at wot the engine seemed to completely turn off then turned back on after 1 second. during the 30 minute run i stopped and tried to do another holeshot. Had a tough time getting out of the hole again. After the next run, I took the plugs out to check for fouling and they were black and very wet with fuel. The only thing i can think of that has changed since the motor ran well is the oil i used when i fueled up. I normally use pennzoil premium plus. i ran out and bought mercury premium. So i had about 1/2 tank with pennzoil used and 1/2 with mercury oil used. I dont know if the two different oils mix well. I also am getting about 14 volts charge when WOT and 13 volts charge at idle. I was wondering if i have a trigger, stator, coil problem?? I dont know how to check for these problems. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JDBarber

2. Member
    need to check comp first and spark when under load, you should not to have clear engine when trying to plane, if you mixed it its mixed dout thats prob

3. Member
    Never mix different brands of oil and in my opinion penzoil is the worst oil a person can run in a boat lots of mechanics will tell you this.

4. Member
    ^^^^^ i agree but its already done unless you wana drain tank and start over more than likely not prob unless mixed wrong and plugs are fouled

5. Member
    I would love to know whatever came of this. Im having the same problem with mine after new trigger, stator and voltage regulators.

6. Member
    Try posting a new thread for your engine and be sure to included serial number along with a detailed description of your problem/s. Also note this forum is for 115hp and smaller engines, there are two other Mercury 2-stroke forums that may be more appropriate depending on your engine's displacement.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax