Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dobyns 736cb Glass

Anybody used it yet?
    Last edited by jerrysfishing; 09-05-2016 at 03:09 PM.

2. Member
    June/July timeframe.

Looking forward to this rod!

4. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Just got an email today from dobyns saying end of June

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Puma Jim View Post
    Just got an email today from dobyns saying end of June

6. Member
    Looks like stores are showing this rod in stock now. Does anyone own one yet?

7. Member
    Any feed back yet

8. Member
    I have one and man that thing is a beast. I thought it was a little to heavy of action untill i started catch fish with it . Its action and power is quite amazing

9. Member
    what are you throwing on it? does it feel heavy or balanced in your hand? thanks,

10. Member
    3/8 Oz chatterbait and the rod is balanced and light for a glass rod.

For the guys who want that heavier powered, parabolic flex for chatter bait fishing, even down to 3/8 oz, without spending $600+ on a heavy JDM rod with zero warranty, this is an excellent option. All the feedback I've heard from guys who've picked them up from The Tackle Trap has been outstanding. Brian (waketowake33) has fished the rod a good bit and has been very impressed with it too. Tackle Trap has them in stock and ready to ship guys...

http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main...oducts_id=9289

12. Member
    I'm still waiting to find one at my local store to see if I like it before buying one. Any more feed back ?

13. Member
    I'll let you know soon as mine gets here. Ordered it yesterday!!!
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

14. Member
    Posted this on another forum. (Unfortunately, still don't have any real time on the 735CB Glass. Work & family stuff getting in the way of fishing. haha.)

Hey guys, in case anybody else is interested, I just saw that TW is now selling the Dobyns 735CB Glass.

I only have a little time with 736CB Glass but I've been pretty impressed with it. Gary Dobyns has posted on various forums that it took him some time (longer than he wanted I'm guessing) to get this how he wanted. i.e. get the action right. Seems like he has got it right to me. Tip is nice & soft with power coming in pretty quickly. That tip makes it easy to cast the chatterbaits, etc. as it loads real nice. The power ramps up much more quickly than the other 'cranking' rods. Makes sense to me - tip is soft to let fish eat & load up when the bait hits cover leading to it 'springing' off the cover. The power ramping up more quickly makes it get those big single hooks buried in the fishes mouth. Loads up nicely with the fish. Truth be told, I haven't been catching a lot of chatterbait fish....... They seem to be much easier to catch using other techniques. (BTW, I did throw a 3/8oz swimjig with a kicker fish trailer. Felt like a good combo. Again, not the hot technique the last few days for me.)

For grins I tied on a med depth crank (1/2oz) on the 736CB. Much easier to crank vs my regular stick (705CB graphite). Less wrist strain. I do need to say that the rod does feel 'heavier' and less agile vs the 705CB. Yes, I know, it isn't a apple to apple comparison. There is a difference not only in rod length & material but power too. I did wonder if I'd be getting good hookups with cranks for fish that slashed at the bait given the faster action. No worries as that tip is like butter. I had no problems hooking up, playing & landing the fish - cranking seems to be the deal for me lately on my water. It easily handled the bigger fish as it is a more 'powerful' rod vs the 705CB. Not saying that I have problems with the 705CB. It is more like I can man-handle the bigger fish with the 736CB Glass. Tip is soft & absorbed the surges, etc. I didn't have any fish coming off boat side, etc. Tied on a 3/8oz squarebill. Just felt like the 736CB Glass was too much rod for the bait. It actually cast it fine. It just didn't feel like it loaded great when casting so I sort of missed that feedback.

Been looking for the 735CB Glass that Gary has mentioned in a few posts. I really wanted to try it for squarebills & mid depth cranks. Also wanted to try it for chatterbaits & swmjigs. Read somewhere that the 736CB & 735CB are very similar with just a slight power difference. I also read that Rich Dobyns really prefers the 735CB for chatterbaits....

Anyway, I'll be ordering one up. Not sure who else has them now but like I said, TW does. Hopefully get out on the water with it next week.
    2003 520VX 225 Optimax

15. Member
    Mine finally arrived yesterday and I was able to compare it to the 765cb glass and 705cb glass. While the 736 is a power heavier than both rods, the big difference is where the tip ends and the backbone begins. The tip section is definitely shorter on the 736 than the other two rods which gives it a little different casting action. Weight seemed to be similar to the 765 and heavier than the 705.

I took it to the little neighborhood pond with a 3/8oz. chatterbait and a 3.8 kietech trailer. I was a little worried it would be too heavy of an action to launch the bait, but the tip is perfectly suited to that weight. I ditched the trailer and still had no problems, so this rod will be pretty versatile. Turns out the pond has some grass in it so I was able to do what this rod is built for...it didn't disappoint. The backbone comes on quickly enough that ripping the bait out of the grass isn't a chore. Sensitivity is good, plenty enough to feel the vibration of the jig, ticking the grass, and most importantly, when all of that stops and gives way to a muted pull. I didn't know there were bass in that pond, but I set the hook anyways and the found a nice 2.5 LM on the other end. Next cast, a 3! Both hit it in classic chatterbait style, engulfing the whole thing without much of a tick at all and the tip allowed them to get a good mouthfull before the rest of the rod loaded into the hookset. Despite the heavier backbone, this rod still had a nice parabolic bend and fought them well.

After that, I tied on a big walking bait (just under 1oz. I think) and flung that around a few times. I really liked the way this rod was able to handle it, and the tip was great for walking. I'll have to try it on a boat to be sure, but I think the 736 might be perfect. The bait is too much for the 705, and while the 765 is great at casting it, the rod is just a touch too long for walking sometimes.

My overall impression is that this rod is a purpose built chatterbait monster, exactly as advertised. While that is kind of a niche, it is still versatile enough for other techniques such as spinnerbaits, stick baits, smallish swimbaits, and traps in grass. For pure cranking, the other CBglass rods in the Dobyns lineup are probably better at handling treble hooks in open water or wood cover. In grass, this is going to be hard to beat. I am extremely pleased with my purchase. I need to fish with it more to try different weights and maybe some deeper crankbaits.

16. Allan Collins
    If the tip shuts of faster what make this rod any better that a graphite stick? I rarely loose a fish on a chatterbait and I just use my spinnerbaits rod.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by amc024 View Post
    If the tip shuts of faster what make this rod any better that a graphite stick? I rarely loose a fish on a chatterbait and I just use my spinnerbaits rod.
    DhOckey11 typed this, "Despite the heavier backbone, this rod still had a nice parabolic bend and fought them well.".

I tried to convey something similar in my post.

Honestly, this rod is something special. Words don't really describe it....you just gotta try it.
    2003 520VX 225 Optimax

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by civicrr View Post
    DhOckey11 typed this, "Despite the heavier backbone, this rod still had a nice parabolic bend and fought them well.".

I tried to convey something similar in my post.

Honestly, this rod is something special. Words don't really describe it....you just gotta try it.
    I think it is a good question, and it certainly is a personal choice. The thing that really sells me on this rod for chatterbaits isn't it's ability to fight fish, but the ability to hook fish better. The tip is soft and allows for that inhale type bite where the fish just loads on it. In my experience, that is like 50% of all chatterbait bites. It is the combination of tip and backbone that is difficult to attain in full graphite rods. What you sacrifice with the soft glass tip is sensitivity, and while that is important for chatterbaits, you really only need to be able to tell what your chatterbait is doing. This rod is more than sensitive enough for that on 15# copolymer (so far in my testing), and most use braid anyways for this technique. This rod has all of the qualities one needs for a chatterbait, and its weaknesses aren't a problem with that technique. It is a huge bonus that this rod fights fish so well for such a heavy power, and that makes it more versatile as well. The final thing that sold me on this rod was listening to Brett Hite, jedi master of chatterbaits. He uses a glass rod, and while this isn't the same exact rod, it has all of the qualities he is looking for. That said, any rod that is good for spinnerbaits is going to be good for chatterbaits. This rod, in my opinion, just takes it to the next level.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dh0ckey11 View Post
    I think it is a good question, and it certainly is a personal choice. The thing that really sells me on this rod for chatterbaits isn't it's ability to fight fish, but the ability to hook fish better. The tip is soft and allows for that inhale type bite where the fish just loads on it. In my experience, that is like 50% of all chatterbait bites. It is the combination of tip and backbone that is difficult to attain in full graphite rods. What you sacrifice with the soft glass tip is sensitivity, and while that is important for chatterbaits, you really only need to be able to tell what your chatterbait is doing. This rod is more than sensitive enough for that on 15# copolymer (so far in my testing), and most use braid anyways for this technique. This rod has all of the qualities one needs for a chatterbait, and its weaknesses aren't a problem with that technique. It is a huge bonus that this rod fights fish so well for such a heavy power, and that makes it more versatile as well. The final thing that sold me on this rod was listening to Brett Hite, jedi master of chatterbaits. He uses a glass rod, and while this isn't the same exact rod, it has all of the qualities he is looking for. That said, any rod that is good for spinnerbaits is going to be good for chatterbaits. This rod, in my opinion, just takes it to the next level.
    Well said.
    2003 520VX 225 Optimax

Ordered my Dobyns 736 CB Glass yesterday.....looking forward to getting this one out on the water

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast