Thread: AGFC decisions

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nwaangler View Post
    Which lakes are good?
    I'm going to assume based on your question that you feel like no lake in Arkansas is good. If so, what do you consider a good lake?

Quote Originally Posted by dixieman18 View Post
    I'm going to assume based on your question that you feel like no lake in Arkansas is good. If so, what do you consider a good lake?
    I fished a tournament on Table Rock once. Zero'ed. And that was one of the most fun tournaments I've ever fished. Didn't catch a single keeper. Mostly because I didn't pre-fish. However, At the end of the tournament, my thumb was bleeding. Probably caught 100 fish.
    After the tournament ended, wife went to get the trailer, and I decided to make one last cast on an underwater point out from the marina. She ended up taking the truck back to the parking spot, getting back in the boat, and we caught 50 "KEEPERS!", in two hours.
    Drove up last June and she wanted to leave at 2:00....said she just "Flat out didn't think she could fight another fish to the boat".
    And we really know nothing about that lake.
    It has quality if you do your homework.
    It has quantity if you don't.
    I think the new secret color is "A-Rig"..........

3. Member
    Lots of people hate Greers, I like it, I don't love it, but I like it. The fish are there lots of fish there will never move shallow their whole life everything they need is 10-12 ft deep. To me one of the most fun lakes in the state is Bull Shoals, full of smallmouth, largemouth and spots. Also just a TON of fish in general

4. Member
    If you like to beat the banks and fish shallow waters on some of the deep, gin clear lakes in the Ozarks like Greers , Table Rock and Bull, your best bet would be to fish in the spring and fall. Other times, you need to learn to fish deeper waters as that's where the fish are going to be. Vertical spooning, drop-shotting, dragging jigs and C-Rigged lizards and brushhogs. A couple years ago, my friend and I caught somewhere around 40 fish in one spot on Bull. This included 7 different specie (LMB, SMB, Spots, Walleye, Crappie, Hybrid bass and even one Catfish. We were vertical spooning just off a main lake point in 50 to 90 feet of water. Our best bass were caught around 40 feet just above the standing timber in 90' of water. Spent maybe two hours in that one spot and had a ball.

Other times I fish around the rocky bluffs with a spoon but it's always relatively deep. I'd like to post some pics but since I "upgraded" to Windows 10, I haven't been able to post pics here

Come down south and fish Chicot, Cane Creek, Wallace, Felsenthal, Pendleton, Milwood, Morgans Point, (insert any south east ar oxbow.)

I'd take South Ar fishing over North Ar fishing any day of the week.

6. Member
    I've fished Ouachita, Chicot and the AR River at Dumas. That's as far south in AR I've fished. They are all OK, always done reasonably well fishing there. But never found them that much better in terms of larger fish than Bull or Norfork. Fished Bull up around Lead Hill one day a few years ago and caught over 70 bass with over twenty keepers. Biggest around 5#. Just saying . . . .

11 lbs Monticello

Montcello9 LBS Wallace
    Not trying to say fishing is better down here, but I am saying fishing is good down south with plenty of "big uns" to be found.
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. AR Bass Club/AR Fishing Moderator GhostComanche's Avatar
    Very nice. Wow!!

"Never argue with an idiot; He will beat you to death with stupidity"

9. Member
    Hmmmmm. I think there may be a road trip in my near future!

10. Member
    Have heard for years to go fish Monticello, guess I am going to have to make that trip!

11. Member
    Columbia has a lot of those as well. I've only crappie fished Monticello but have always heard of its giants.

12. Member
    Monticello has or had some giants. The problem with it is, it gets so crowded in the spring, that you can walk from boat to boat.

13. Member
    Just FYI,
    I have heard that there will be a meeting to discuss fishing management on lake ouachita on 6/28. it's a tuesday. I believe the meeting is supposed to be at Mt Harbor.
    2019 Bass Cat Cougar. 250 Mercury pro XS

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dixieman18 View Post
    No I was just Wondering which ones are good? I live by beaver never fish it. I drive more toward Texas. But fish table rock and grand some. Just not enough to catch the big ones

15. Member
    That meeting is for members of an advisory council,that's my understanding !

16. Member
    No I was just Wondering which ones are good? I live by beaver never fish it. I drive more toward Texas. But fish table rock and grand some. Just not enough to catch the big ones
    Sorry about that, I took your statement the other way.

Either way, my question is still relevant. It depends on what you call a good lake. There are some with more quantity and some with better quality. And then there's the lakes I fish...that have neither. Although, I'm starting to think the fisherman may be at fault for that.

17. Member
    Few years back Hank Parker was in NWA as the headline speaker at an event and joked about Beaver being called The Dead Sea and how tough it was to fish!

Anyways, bout 8 or 9 years ago I fished in a club up here and there was a lot of talk about trying to get grass to grow in the mountain lakes, seems like they said they were having success with it at Greers or Bull, can't remember but they were wanting to try some of the techniques on Beaver. Are they still doing these projects and are they working or did they work on the other lakes?

18. Banned
    They tried to kill the grass on Ouachita because tourists didn't like how icky it is. Glad to see it coming back.

19. Member
    Beaver has plenty of fish in it, but if I lived in NWA I would be driving westbound and down no doubt about it and fishing Grand every chance I got

20. Member
    Any follow up from the agfc meeting on ouachita ?
    2019 Bass Cat Cougar. 250 Mercury pro XS

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123