Advise...PP or talon

Being reading some of the threads and watching video's....have a 19 1/2 modified V with 90 hp etec (aluminum). Seriously thinking about getting one of the above. Would appreciate some honest feedback.

What do you own and why did you decide to purchase it? If you had to buy again would you stay with the same model? What depth is your PP or talon? What do you see as an advantage and/or disadvantage of your anchor? Will continue to research my options but will rely heavily on what you guys tell me. YOU ARE NOT A SALESPERSON and I take what you say very seriously and factual. What kind of wind would cause you not to deploy? I am assuming the power is connected to cranking battery...what kind of draw do they take....3 df on my boat and can go all day and no problem with cranking battery. Just wondering how the poles would affect cranking battery....

Are two anchors necessary? Have an xi5 on front..would utilize it if I extend anchor to keep it parallel with where were fishing. This system opens up many opportunities the more I think about it. Getting older and getting rid of anchors for our type of fishing is a BIG +.

thanks for sharing your thoughts on this matter...

john
    Sacred Heart of Mary, pray for us now, and at the hour of our death. AMEN
    O blood and water which gush forth from the heart of Jesus, have mercy on us
    For the sake of his sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and the whole world

2. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    A 19.5 w a 90HP, thats a easy decision IMO.. but ill let some other non sales people respond.

3. Banned
    The weight advantage of the PP would be a big plus on a boat your size. I'd go PP.

Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    A 19.5 w a 90HP, thats a easy decision IMO.. but ill let some other non sales people respond.
    On the contrary, do tell and why...please

5. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by drifter106 View Post
    On the contrary, do tell and why...please
    ill respond to your whole question if you like but you specifically said " not a salesperson" so i figured id let the regular members tell you.. One already hit the nail on the head.
    let me know if you want me to repond and i will. Feel like im responding to Jesus.. lol
    Last edited by KandKKustomz; 02-22-2020 at 04:35 PM.

I have 10' Talons on my boat. I believe both systems are great. I went with the Talons because the motor for them are mounted on them. (I didn't lose any compartment space) The power pole has hydraulic pumps that have to be mounted on your boat somewhere. I don't have room in my rear storage/battery area, and I didn't want to give up another compartment for the pumps.

I was not concerned about weight as others have mentioned. I couldn't tell you how much either product weighs.

Gets down to personal preference between the two.

7. Member
    As an old guy with an old mans boat, my two power poles make my fishing a lot easier especially in the wind or current. I had Talons on my last glass boat and didn't like them because of the extra weight.
    Alweld 1856 Stick Steer with 70 Yamaha
    Dual Power Pole Blades/ Helix 10 MSI
    80# Ulterra Link/2 Ionic Lithium 50s/ShuttleSlide Mount

USAF Ret

thanks people...

Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    ill respond to your whole question if you like but you specifically said " not a salesperson" so i figured id let the regular members tell you.. One already hit the nail on the head.
    let me know if you want me to repond and i will. Feel like im responding to Jesus.. lol
    well...I am a far cry from that....people have already told me things that I was not aware of....

good to see that your thinking of him...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by axis View Post
    I have 10' Talons on my boat. I believe both systems are great. I went with the Talons because the motor for them are mounted on them. (I didn't lose any compartment space) The power pole has hydraulic pumps that have to be mounted on your boat somewhere. I don't have room in my rear storage/battery area, and I didn't want to give up another compartment for the pumps.

I was not concerned about weight as others have mentioned. I couldn't tell you how much either product weighs.

Gets down to personal preference between the two.

So one has hydraulic pumps????? That means hydraulic oil...been around that and to be honest, haven't seen to many things that don't leak oil.

11. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by drifter106 View Post
    So one has hydraulic pumps????? That means hydraulic oil...been around that and to be honest, haven't seen to many things that don't leak oil.
    they use green marine envirommental friendly fluid and with the new 2.0 improvents there are no leaks. Check out the post about weight. On a rig your size w a 90hp engine on transom weight is going to be a huge factor. When you get up to the 200 hp plus rigs weight is still a factor However it will certinly negativly affect the smaller hp rigs much more. At 19.5' w a 90 your going to want all the weight savings that can be had

12. Member
    this is only MY opinion, to me the weight is the only advantage that pp has going for them and ive read they have good customer service. I went back and forth and which ones to get and the only people know that have either all have poles and they was wanting to swap to talons. after all the underwater footage ive seen talons are quieter, the motor is up on the talons and most folks can hear it and assume its louder but underwater footage clearly shows the pole pumps are louder UNDERWATER and that's where it counts and unless some different footage comes out that I haven't seen I don't see any reason to believe different. a 12 foot talon is close to the same height as a 8 foot pole and I have a couple spots that are in the 9-10ft depth I can drop the talons on and make repeated casts. the work lights on that talons are quite handy when getting the boat ready for launch in the dark. I can go anywhere my motor fits because I got the tilt brackets. ive read that pp cs is pretty good and so far ive had good service for my talons. I had one that wouldn't retract the last stage, I tilted it in to the boat and drove to the ramp and took it to a service center and they fixed it under warranty and no problems since. the truth is you cant go wrong with either, just for me the talons were the better choice and if I had to do it again I would buy the same thing again.

13. Member
    IMO Opinion (zero affiliation to Minn Kota for other products - run all Garmins) Talons have a ton of advantages. Similar in thoughts to DuckHunter57.

Both are better than none - and both will work. I won't write a big response - just did a few weeks ago on here on why I went with Talons after a ton of research and talking with buddies who have used both for years.

The weight thing, I will just add, is the one thing the PP guys will harp on of course. Sure you might need to re-prop your boat, but that can be advantageous regardless. My hole shot is better post-reprop on my aluminum than it was before adding 2-10' Talons and I lost about 1.5 MPH top end (some of that is a heavy TM on the front and huge batteries in the back - not remotely all Talon related). Guess what, your boat isn't a speed demon regardless (nor is mine) so does a slight drop in top-end really matter? That's what I'd be asking to push back on the weight only debut.