Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ClaytonHaske View Post
    Could you install a engine shut down module, so, you will get a warning sound, and the engine will automatically shut down.
    Pressure switxh to oil injection, wired through the ignition I would think would be easiest way. But I do t know if it would start like that as pressure would not be built up before it fired?

2. Member
    [QUOTE=EuropeanAM;7323855]

In my 39 seasons... I've seen 9 times more failures on Pre-mix engines than I have on oil injected models.

/QUOTE]

This begs the question, what caused the failures on the motors that were premixed? The only failure i can think of oil related if mixing, would be mixing at the wrong ratio.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rgsauger View Post
    Yank it! Mix 50:1 under 6,000 rpm. 40:1 if turning over 6k. Hard to beat Pennzoil xlf.
    Nm. I missread
    Last edited by FastBird; 06-03-2016 at 10:41 PM.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    [QUOTE=FastBird;7397062]
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post

In my 39 seasons... I've seen 9 times more failures on Pre-mix engines than I have on oil injected models.

/QUOTE]

This begs the question, what caused the failures on the motors that were premixed? The only failure i can think of oil related if mixing, would be mixing at the wrong ratio.
    That has been one of the most common failures I've seen. Essentially, the "human" factor.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    [QUOTE=EuropeanAM;7401933]
    Quote Originally Posted by FastBird View Post

That has been one of the most common failures I've seen. Essentially, the "human" factor.
    I would think it could be the only failure, no?

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Not necessarily... as on a premix engine, anytime there is a FUEL delivery problem, there is ALSO an OIL DELIVERY problem.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Not necessarily... as on a premix engine, anytime there is a FUEL delivery problem, there is ALSO an OIL DELIVERY problem.

Of course...

A fuel delivery problem is independent of a whether the motor is premix or not.

Im saying...the only direct problem that can arrise from premixing is error in mixing. Where w an oiling system...there are many variables which can contribute to lack of oil...You are trusting parts, sensors, hoses, seals etc ..that are who knows how old. So you replace all the system...Great. U still have mechanical parts which can and will fail. Premix? No parts to fail...only the mixer..

8. Member
    Of course...

Im saying...the only direct problem that can arrise from premixing is error in mixing. Where w an oiling system...there are many variables which can contribute to lack of oil...You are trusting parts, sensors, hoses, seals etc ..that are who knows how old. So you replace all the system...Great. U still have mechanical parts which can and will fail. Premix? No parts to fail...only the mixer..
    Right, but I trust these mechanical parts more than I trust my ability to never make a mistake adding oil to the tank. Parts fail, yes. People fail, yes also.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leonreno View Post
    Right, but I trust these mechanical parts more than I trust my ability to never make a mistake adding oil to the tank. Parts fail, yes. People fail, yes also.
    To each his own....one possible failure vs multiple possible failures. Ill take my chances on the one possible failure.
    Last edited by FastBird; 06-10-2016 at 09:09 AM.

10. Member
    Of course...

What Don is trying to point out is that if you lose fuel delivery with premix then you also lose oil deliver, mixing error is not the only direct problem you could have.

1994 Ranger 354XT
    Mercury XR6 150HP

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazed66 View Post
    What Don is trying to point out is that if you lose fuel delivery with premix then you also lose oil deliver, mixing error is not the only direct problem you could have.
    Dang it.....im not debating fuel delivery....u do realize that the scenario you describe exists in both a mix and non mix setup....You lose fuel to an injector/carb you lose oil., premix or not...the oil is injected into the fuel before the injector/carb....
    Last edited by FastBird; 06-10-2016 at 08:43 PM.

12. Member
    Dang it.....im not debating fuel delivery....u do realize that the scenario you describe exists in both a mix and non mix setup....You lose fuel to an injector/carb you lose oil., premix or not...the oil is injected into the fuel before the injector/carb....
    Exactly!

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The short answer here is:

"A Premix System is PRECISELY as dependable as the person that utilizes the mixing cup".

No debate to that.

SO far so good for premixing for me, but I have been known to launch the boat without the plug once or twice, figure it is a matter of time.......

Quote Originally Posted by Tx 201 View Post
    ... I have been known to launch the boat without the plug once or twice, figure it is a matter of time.......
    I think EVERY boat owner forgets about the dreaded hull plug at least once!! I know I did a few months ago, and didn't realize it until I was out in the channel and realized the stern was pretty close to the water line. LoL.
    1989 Bass Cat Pantera II
    1995 Mercury Black Max 200 XRi - 0G201874

16. Member
    If you take away the oiler, the a fuel delivery problem is also an oil starvation problem.
    If you have a fuel delivery problem with the oiler in place, you actually have more oil in the gas, and the oiler injects based on RPM and throttle, it doesn't know the gas supply is short. So the mixture now becomes 40:1, or 30:1, or 20:1, etc.

17. Member
    I've also been hearing that the gear that drives the oil pump is doomed to fail on older motors, so I've also been considering removing the oil injection system. Since I wasn't sure, I contacted Mercury and was told that Mercury's official position was to keep the oil injection system in original configuration. The Mercury tech rep stated that there were places on line that explained how to do it, but it was not recommended by Mercury. Would you please post information on how to find the kit. The tech rep I talked to did not have any information about it.
    Thanks,
    Basser Jack

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Basser Jack View Post
    I've also been hearing that the gear that drives the oil pump is doomed to fail on older motors, so I've also been considering removing the oil injection system. Since I wasn't sure, I contacted Mercury and was told that Mercury's official position was to keep the oil injection system in original configuration. The Mercury tech rep stated that there were places on line that explained how to do it, but it was not recommended by Mercury. Would you please post information on how to find the kit. The tech rep I talked to did not have any information about it.
    Thanks,
    Basser Jack
    See the below link- Rhonda (in our Parts Department) can set you up with everything you need, if you drop her an Email.

If you want to order or price Mercury Engine Parts or Accessories...

Quote Originally Posted by John Jackson
    If you take away the oiler, the a fuel delivery problem is also an oil starvation problem.
    If you have a fuel delivery problem with the oiler in place, you actually have more oil in the gas, and the oiler injects based on RPM and throttle, it doesn't know the gas supply is short. So the mixture now becomes 40:1, or 30:1, or 20:1, etc.
    John... Since the fuel and oil MIX in BOTH applications (Oil Injection OR Premix), on a Carb or EFI engine, a Fuel Delivery Problem is always a potential oil delivery problem, whether or not the engine is still oil injected.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12