Question Talon mounting possibilities

Iooking for feed back on mounting an 8' 3 stage Talon. The boat is a 273 Stratos with a 150 Johnson (hydraulic steering and CMC 5.5" jackplate).

I would like to mount this Talon as close to the transom and motor as possible. What is the minimum distances that I'm looking at? What bracket

would I use to accomplish this?
    Just can't leave well enough alone!!

98 Stratos 273 w/ 150 Faststrike

2. Member
    With that JP your gonna have to use the sandwich style bracket.

3. BBC SPONSOR
    You will most likely want to use the minn Kota port or starboard side brackets and mount it to your slide plate on your jack plate. It's a clean look.
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by jentrick View Post
    With that JP your gonna have to use the sandwich style bracket.
    Why can't I have the holes on the Talon jp bracket opened up to accommodate the 3/4" bolts of the CMC?

Quote Originally Posted by Bassman25 View Post
    You will most likely want to use the minn Kota port or starboard side brackets and mount it to your slide plate on your jack plate. It's a clean look.
    Tyson....Are these side brackets the same as the jp brackets?

6. Member
    If you get a talon bracket you dang sure won't be close to your motor. They stick way out there. Your best bet is get a power pole bracket. I'm not familiar with that boat so I don't know which one.

7. BBC SPONSOR
    IThe brackets I am taking about are these. http://www.ftomarinesupplies.com/pro...ts_id=87837085

they will keep the Talon away from the boat to the side. They make it sit completely out of the way.
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Bassman25 View Post
    IThe brackets I am taking about are these. http://www.ftomarinesupplies.com/pro...ts_id=87837085

they will keep the Talon away from the boat to the side. They make it sit completely out of the way.
    Are there any options to get it closer to the motor? Would braced power pole brackets work with the 8' Talon?

I understand wanting to get it as close to the transom as possible but I do not understand why you want it close to the motor. I know you only mentioned mounting one Talon but in the event you mount a second unit you want them far apart. Think of it like this. If you stand with your feet a few inches apart and you stand with them 24" apart which has a more stable stance...the same applies to talons and power poles. You want both of them to be in a wide stance for more stability. If their both close to the motor the stability is less. I know you are only mounting one so what I said has no relevance but in the event you do decided to mount a second one then both need to be spaced properly.

Some people do use the power pole mount on a talon and it will work. However if mounting two talons it's not a good option... here is why...look at the angle of the power pole mount. It is designed so the poles are close to the motor but the angle of the mount directs the poles in a angle that increases the distance between the two poles as they are deployed. A talon deploys straight down so if the mounts are close together your footprint is close together. Power Poles deploy like a hinge. As the spike is moving away from the boat the angel of the bracket makes distance between the spikes increase as they deploy...remember a wider foot print is better with two shallow water anchors. So if you have one talon on a power pole bracket the angle is irrelevant. If you have two talons on power pole brackets then stability is reduced because the footprint is to close. Again this is irrelevant if only mounting one talon but if you decide to mount another one latter on why not go ahead and do the first one the way you will need it if you decide to add the second one.

I know I threw a lot of unnecessary info out there but it was necessary to explain why I do not understand why you want them close to the motor. No matter what you do I will guarantee your biggest regret will be not getting one sooner . Your next plan will be when can I add another