Thread: bracket failure

bracket failure

Have a brand new boat, power pole mounted to jack plate on side where the motor mounts in the bracket. The bracket slid down and damaged my fiberglass sponson. On closer inspection the motor on that side dropped in the jack plate. I had to loosen the bolts and jack the motor back into place and re tighten the bolts. This seems like a bad design to me there is only a slot for mounting no round hole to hold bolt and motor in place. I am disappointed as it came rigged from the dealer that way seems to me the bolts were not tightened properly or worse this will continue to happen. I have purchased a 3/4 socket and 18 inch 1/2 inch drive arm and tighten the bolts now after each trip and check them again after arriving home.

any one else have this problem??
    FX20 skeeter slidemaster jack plate

2. Banned
    You follow the torque specs for the bolts? They should be periodically checked for loosening.

To answer your question; no.

3. AR Bass Club/AR Fishing Moderator GhostComanche's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by r82ranger View Post
    Have a brand new boat, power pole mounted to jack plate on side where the motor mounts in the bracket. The bracket slid down and damaged my fiberglass sponson. On closer inspection the motor on that side dropped in the jack plate. I had to loosen the bolts and jack the motor back into place and re tighten the bolts. This seems like a bad design to me there is only a slot for mounting no round hole to hold bolt and motor in place. I am disappointed as it came rigged from the dealer that way seems to me the bolts were not tightened properly or worse this will continue to happen. I have purchased a 3/4 socket and 18 inch 1/2 inch drive arm and tighten the bolts now after each trip and check them again after arriving home.

any one else have this problem??
    FX20 skeeter slidemaster jack plate
    I would get the boat back to the dealer and have them re-lick the problems your having. I am on my fourth boat with the brackets and never had a pole or bracket move................Like Carlos said, I do check them from time to time for proper torque........................checking and preventative maintenance goes a long way to avoid on water trouble.......................Get it back to dealer and I am sure they will make it right Sir..........................RR

"Never argue with an idiot; He will beat you to death with stupidity"

Check the bolts but not every time I go out. It was only the third trip. I spoke with the dealer they are not taking any responsibility for the mishap. They say I should check the bolts. They did tell me to keep wrenches onboard for the power pole and bracket but not the engine mounts.
    I have contacted Skeeter to see what they could do

5. Member
    Sorrty A$$ dealer