Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bassnpro1 View Post
    The money goes fast at 12k/month in a nursing home
    Yes, but few people living in nursing homes are there more than a couple of years.

We have a huge nursing home locally--just about all women with white hair in wheelchairs. It's like they're a bunch of clones--looking and dressing so much alike. I went there looking for my aunt one day at lunch, and I like to have never found her.

2. Banned
    Retirees should be looking to withdraw no more than 4% of their total investments per year in order to not outlive their nest egg. And yes, most people can get by with social security and pension with making less than 4% withdrawals per year. The whole ace in the hole is having a house that's paid for.

If you want to read some info on retirement, go on Early-Retirement.Org.

I retired in 2008 and began making $40K withdrawals per year from my IRA Rollovers. So far, I'm up 20% in my investment balances after those withdrawals. I play the stock market semi-aggressively and live a pretty frugal life most of the time. Now if we could just quit traveling internationally, I'd be in good shape.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    Retirees should be looking to withdraw no more than 4% of their total investments per year in order to not outlive their nest egg. And yes, most people can get by with social security and pension with making less than 4% withdrawals per year. The whole ace in the hole is having a house that's paid for.

If you want to read some info on retirement, go on Early-Retirement.Org.

I retired in 2008 and began making $40K withdrawals per year from my IRA Rollovers. So far, I'm up 20% in my investment balances after those withdrawals. I play the stock market semi-aggressively and live a pretty frugal life most of the time. Now if we could just quit traveling internationally, I'd be in good shape.
    Thanks for the link. It looks informative, I appreciate it.
    1993 Tracker Pan fish 16

4. Member
    How much you really "NEED" is not much $$ at all. How much you "WANT" is a personal choice. I always said all I need is potatoes and fish bait. Biggest issue is not having DEBT, IMO Retired at 56 Lovin IT

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by truman lake andy View Post
    Biggest issue is not having DEBT, IMO

Words to live by
    Need a new bow step pad for your boat? Do what I did!
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=712307

Are your boat seats trashed? Fix them yourself and save $1000!
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=754944

6. Banned
    I'm 37 with a 14 year old and a newborn. That's 25 years of salary for me at what in making now, not even a question. I'd clean out my locker tomorrow.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12