Side image sonar.

Can I just fasten my Garmin G20 TM transducer to a trolling motor shaft and point it horizontally for directional side imaging? I'm planning to try this when the ice is out, but I thought someone here could tell me why it will or wont work. Bill

2. Member
    Most likely won't work as planned. Side imaging by default will work best when moving, and generally around 5mph at that. Can you put it on the trolling motor? Absolutely. But you will get much better images putting it on the transom and running it while idling around.

3. Member
    I plan to mount an old trolling motor shaft (no motor just the shaft and mount) on the transom and then I can "aim" the "side scan" where needed, fore, aft or side ways by rotating the shaft in the mount. Going along at 5 miles per hour is no problem. The question is will I get usable images? I have a Striker 4 plus with Chirp and dual band. I should be able to set the distance I am looking out with the depth control, right? Are there any sonar experts out there?

4. Member
    A friend of mine has this setup (from a competitors brand) on his trolling motor, and really like it. I was just asking him the same thing a few weeks back. He told me he uses it mostly for deep banks, seawalls, and docks to pick out cover and fish. I am new to Garmin this year, so waiting to see if I have the same experience, maybe it is a brand thing.
    Jeff Edgarton
    2001 929 CDX