Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

HomePort Walk Through

This is a continuation of the other homeport thread here

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=711552

I simply wanted to start another to fill in the beginning of the instructions. I'm in a hurry, so if you guys have any questions or notice I missed something, let me know and I'll add it. When i get set up with a screen recording app and mic I may do a video walk through as well.

This is just a quick guide on how to get your waypoints into homeport, do your edits and get them back to the card.

For starters you need to export your waypoints from your unit to an sd card. These steps will depend on what unit you have, so please refer to your owner's manual. For any unit that may not have a sd card slot, please refer to your owner's manual as well.

- When you open homeport for the first time, it will look similar to this. No data, no folder, etc. You may need to find your local lake and zoom in if you wish

- Insert the sd card you used to export your waypoints from your unit. you should now see it listed under DEVICES

- You may find another way that you prefer to do things here, but this is what I do. In the upper left corner, under library, right click 'my collection' and select 'new list folder'. Name this folder whatever makes sense to you. This will simply make a new folder that you name, so you have a dedicated place to import your waypoints to.

*** - At this point you have a couple of different options on how to get the waypoints into the folder. You can either drag and drop

- A file explorer window will now open and you will need to go to your sd card and find the .gpx file they was saved to the card. With my card this file can be found in the Garmin\UserData folder. Yours may be in a different location. When you find the file simply double click it and it will import into the folder you have selected

- Now you will see your .gpx file within the folder

*** - Now you can edit whatever you want, or simply use this method to do a backup. I always save a copy of the .gpx file to multiple locations as well just to be safe. I don't usually take the time on the water to change waypoint names, icons, etc. I use homeport once I get home to do all of that. I'll make my edits, and then export the edited file back to my sd card. When I go out for my next trip, I'll delete my waypoints

- Once you get done with editing, do the following to export back to the card

- select the .gpx file you have been working with

- select file (top menu bar) export

- Select the location you want to save the file to. You can choose the sd card at this point. I always keep a backup any time I edit a file, so I save to my backup folder and then copy and paste to the card

- You must put the file into the UserData folder

When I first starting using homeport, I seem to remember whatever I was doing was putting the file into the wrong folder with the wrong format. It was putting a file into the gpx folder instead of the UserData folder and my 7612 was not seeing it. So I played with it until I figured out this method. Others may have a different way of doing things

Hopefully this makes sense and helps you guys. It seems much more complicated than it really is once you get the hang of it. If you need any help or have any questions, just ask
    Last edited by TroyBoy30; 05-11-2016 at 08:40 AM.

2. Banned
    here is one of the incomplete sections from the thread above....it wont let me add the other

I added *** to those incomplete sections above

- Now you can edit whatever you want, or simply use this method as a backup. I always save a copy of the .gpx file to multiple locations as well just to be save. I don't ussually take the time on the water to change waypoint names, icons, etc. I use homeport once I get home to do all of that. I'll make my edits, then export the edited file back to my sd card. When I go out for my next trip, I'll delete my waypoints from the unit and import the new file from the card. Again your preferred method may be different.
    Last edited by TroyBoy30; 05-11-2016 at 08:41 AM.

3. Banned
    Last edited by TroyBoy30; 05-11-2016 at 08:38 AM.

4. Banned
    ok it's as complete as the board will let me get it. I'll provide a link to the word doc if anyone wants it

5. Member
    Thanks Troy. That cleared up a couple of things for me.

Oddly - I still dont have a "User Data" folder on my 7610 even after doing several Import and Export cycles. My GPX files are just sitting in the Garmin folder. I have no idea what Im doing differently, but it works.

One question - I exported 4 different waypoints individually and ended up with 4 different GPX files. Are all your waypoints normally stored in a single GPX file? Should I have exported a folder from Homeport instead of doing them one at a time? These are waypoints I created in Homeport first.
    Smokercraft Phantom 202 Yamaha F115/Merc 9.9
    Garmin 7610xsv/GT51M-TM/Panoptix PS21/LiveScope
    Why am I hanging out here when I could be fishing.....

6. Banned
    I combine everything into 1 .gpx file. you can see above that my file is almost 2200k. Thats 1000's of waypoints for lanier. ive never tried multiple versions, but I think you can use the manage card selection during import to the unit to select individual files. you can also simply combine them all into 1 with homeport

7. Member
    I'll try that. It would be simpler to track and save them for sure.

Thanks. I'm gonna try and do a little home port for the first time in a year or so. I remember having a lot of questions. This will help.

Nice guide! I still can't figure out how to enable depth numbers on my charts without having to mouse over a contour line :/

10. Member
    Thanks for the great guide. I just used Homeport for the 1st time and was really impressed. 1 question what is difference in AMD and GPX file format? I used GPX for saving and transferring

Thanks.

11. Member
    Thanks for the Tutorial

Can you import the Ultra card and use it on Homeport to get a better look at the contours?

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DanR View Post
    Nice guide! I still can't figure out how to enable depth numbers on my charts without having to mouse over a contour line :/
    Has anyone figured this out? It sucks not having the depths labeled!

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vols824 View Post
    Thanks for the Tutorial

Can you import the Ultra card and use it on Homeport to get a better look at the contours?
    The Homeport site says you can:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/maps...prod64242.html

14. Member
    I just used Homeport for the 1st time tonight. I downloaded the HD maps onto a SD card and then my waypoints. Once I got Homeport opened up the map automatically recognized and displayed the HD maps correctly. I then followed Your directions exactly and imported the waypoints, created a new folder and put them in it. I then began changing the symbols and saved everything and exported back to the SD card. I then took the card to my unit and had it overwrite all waypoints. For some reason the symbols did not change. Not sure what happened. Anyone have trouble with loading them back into the unit?

I even went back and put the card back into my computer and opened Homeport and it shows the waypoint symbols that I changed as they should be.

15. Banned
    homeport has symbols that the units do not support. happens to me as well. the unit will change them on it's own

16. Member
    Ahh maybe thats what happened I will check on that

Thanks

17. Banned
    ive got mine set in homeport to all kinds of fancy symbols. the unit changes all of the non supported icons to grey boxes

18. Member
    Can you import custom maps done with Quickdraw to Homeport?

19. Member
    Not at this time. In the future - who knows?

20. Member
    Well done Troy, now when you going to send me your GPX file on Lanier??????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast