Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My Xpress is a dog!

I had a small club tournament this week and finally got to see another Xpress on the water the same time as mine.
    He smoked me out of the hole, top end and his rode way higher out of the water than mine.

My boat: 2008 X19 Yamaha F150 ten inch pro high jacker 25 trophy (not a plus)

His boat 2013 X19 Yamaha hpdi 175 six in setback 23 powertech three blade (didn't catch the model number)

I understand the 25 hp and mine being a fourstroke is a difference but after seeing his ride nice and high, I realize I need more lift.

Where do I start on getting this dog to run rather than plow water?

Thanks in advance
    \" If you ain\'t first, you\'re last!\"

2. Member
    just checked, I'm six inches below pad. That's really low isn't ? Don't have water pressure gauge. What's a safe distance going up on motor?

3. Member
    I think you would be plenty safe at 3 3/4" to 3 1/2". I was running 3 3/4" w/ only a 6" jack plate before I got my gauge. Once I installed it I discovered I was still running around 20 psi wide open... But, a gauge is the only way to know for sure that you're in the safe range for your motor.
    2007 Xpress H18, 2007 Yamaha 150 V-Max, 23p Powertech TRO4 & 6" Manual Jack Plate

4. Banned
    You're running a 25 pitch on a 150? That's too big of a wheel. My F200 and my V-Day 200 turn 25's.

5. Member
    I purchased the boat with the 25p trophy on it. It also came with a spare powertech tro23. Should I put on the 23 and raise the motor to 4"? With the 25 trophy and the motor height as is , it will run 56.8 mph gps wot. Are you suggesting that I may see 60?

6. Banned
    By all means try the 23, that's a more proper pitch for your motor. Raise that plate up to 3 ½ or 4" and see how she runs. Be really careful without a water pressure gauge...

Is that a GPS speed? What sort of rpm's are you getting at WOT?

7. Member
    install a gauge first. Super simple and cheap. Then raise the plate.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oncebitten View Post
    By all means try the 23, that's a more proper pitch for your motor. Raise that plate up to 3 ½ or 4" and see how she runs. Be really careful without a water pressure gauge...

Is that a GPS speed? What sort of rpm's are you getting at WOT?
    5400 rpm wot and yes gps

That 25 seems really big for a 4 blade and a 150. You raise the motor to 3.5" below and you will gain +/-300 rpms. You need to turn 6000. Water pressure won't be an issue. I had 15-20psi running 3.5" below. You will see more lift with less motor dragging in the water and it will be an entirely different boat

10. Member
    What electronics are you running on your boat? You can buy a simple plug and play system and see water pressure on you unit, or have a WP gauge installed. Best thing to do is to raise the motor 1/4" at a time until you lose either speed or water pressure (below 15 PSI) Once you lose either WOT speed or water pressure, drop it back down 1/4" and lock it in.

11. Member
    I'm running an old lowrance 332. Are you talking about nmea 2000? That sends water pressure as well? If so, that would be a selling point for me in purchasing a new fishfinder for sure.

12. Member
    'discloco' ....... Chris Totty / aka 'MrTotty' ( http://www.bbcboards.net/member.php?u=43964 ) has a X19 w/ F150. I know at one time he had a lot of time tweaking his setup. You might try PM'ing him. I got a feeling that whatever information he shares with you will save you a lot of time and money.

I can grant you one thing though, he's not running a 25" ....... unless he's swapped to a 175 or 200 and I didn't know it.

Good Luck.
    '09 Ranger Z520 Silverado Edition / '09 Evinrude ETEC 250 HO
    '15 Xpress HD16DBX / Merc 59ci

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by discloco View Post
    I'm running an old lowrance 332. Are you talking about nmea 2000? That sends water pressure as well? If so, that would be a selling point for me in purchasing a new fishfinder for sure.
    Yes, almost all newer electronics (even the older LCX) have the ability to display engine stats. It's simple enough, depending on what you want to see. The engine connection, a NMEA 2K "backbone" and the sensor you want, like a water pressure sensor
    http://www.lowrance.com/Global/Lowra...Connection.pdf

14. Member
    Update:

I threw on the PT tro23. Raised the jack plate to 4" below pad. Motor hit 6000 well before full trim. Boat still doesn't lift as expected. Barely 50 mph gps! Still too much boat in the water. This shit is driving me nuts! I now have a rooster tail higher than the cowling. I purchased a water pressure gauge and will be installing this week. Just don't know what gauge to remove, lol. I think I'll take out the battery voltmeter.

1) hook/dent in hull causing the bow to be pulled down
    2) an extreme amount of weight in the front of the boat
    3) motor is turning 6000 rpms but your prop isn't. (If possible)
    4) you are extremely unlucky bad have two really messed up props

16. Member
    I’m running a 2 stroke so this may not apply to you but this is my 2 cents. Try a cavitation ring if you’re not running one, it’s a must have on a small barrel prop like the tro4, trophy. I have a tro4 that i ran for a while on my x19 it ran ok after i had mark add a little cup to it. If you’re looking for big lift run a three blade 23p tempest or TXP. This I know for sure I have ran tempest, TXP, TRO4, POWER TECH, Yamaha T-1, AND TROPHY, I hit 60 once with an empty boat it was just a good day I guess. Bottom line is unless I’m missing something 55/56 is all you can expect out of a X19 with A 150 with a fishing load and it takes a lot of work to get there. My x19 and I like the trophy the performance is seconded to none for us.

17. Member
    I had a 4 blade on a h-56 without a jackplate & a 135 mariner & it didn't lift well at all & only ran 51 gps. I added a 6 inch Vance plate & switched to a 24 turbo 3 blade set at 4 inches below & ran 58 gps with 2 & a heavy load with 22 psi water pressure at wot. The prop wasn't very good either & had 17 % slip. I don't know how much more there is left in your rig, but i think there is a little more left in it myself. As seapickle mentioned about a heavy load in front end mine was very weight sensitive when it came to adding tackle etc up front. I know the 2 aren't the same hull, but just to show how much a little tweaking made a huge difference on mine.

18. Banned
    It's possible your flotation foam could be waterlogged and adding a ton of weight. Any commercial scales in your area where you could weigh your rig?

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oncebitten View Post
    It's possible your flotation foam could be waterlogged and adding a ton of weight. Any commercial scales in your area where you could weigh your rig?
    I might try and get it weighed. Tackle was three rods and a very small bag of tackle. Some one mentioned dents? Like what type of dent in hull and where could be pulling the nose down?

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Young View Post
    I had a 4 blade on a h-56 without a jackplate & a 135 mariner & it didn't lift well at all & only ran 51 gps. I added a 6 inch Vance plate & switched to a 24 turbo 3 blade set at 4 inches below & ran 58 gps with 2 & a heavy load with 22 psi water pressure at wot. The prop wasn't very good either & had 17 % slip. I don't know how much more there is left in your rig, but i think there is a little more left in it myself. As seapickle mentioned about a heavy load in front end mine was very weight sensitive when it came to adding tackle etc up front. I know the 2 aren't the same hull, but just to show how much a little tweaking made a huge difference on mine.

Im running 10" pro hi jacker plate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast