Prop suggestion for 2016 18 TRX w/ 150 Mercury Optimax

I bought my Triton brand new and it came with a Tempest 21" prop. My boat seems somewhat slow out of the hole and I was told I might consider going to a 21" prop. Any comments / thoughts?

I have a 189 TRX with 150 pro xs and it is for sure not slow out of the hole and I am running a 23p tempest plus. I will check my pad to prop height for u tomm. I think its around 3.25". I have a 6" jackplate and with full tank, livewells and two people in the boat I am still able to get to 60 fairly easy at about 5700 rpm and it comes out of the hole just fine. Thinking about raising to 3" and try a 24p tempest. But the 21p tempest u are running u should have no problems coming out of the hole.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dgilliamcfm View Post
    I bought my Triton brand new and it came with a Tempest 21" prop. My boat seems somewhat slow out of the hole and I was told I might consider going to a 21" prop. Any comments / thoughts?
    22 pitch tempest plus but as the other guy said i would check my prop to pad measurement should be around 3 3/4"
    2015 Triton 19 XS
    225 Pro XS
    10" Z-LOCK MANUAL JACK PLATE
    DUAL POWER POLES

4. Member
    Start pulling one of the vent plugs out of the prop.

5. Banned
    I run a 21P Tempest Plus with 3 large PVS plugs and prop to pad at 3.5". Quite fast out of the hole and will do 60 MPH. I couldn't imagine running a 23P. Even Croxton didn't recommend me getting a 23P.

Just re-read my original post and see I stated I was running a 21p tempest and thinking of going to a 21p....I meant I was considering going to a 23p Tempest or Fury. I need to measure my prop to pad, but the current specifics are that I'm topping at 58 on the gps at roughly 5,800rpms with a tab over 15psi. Thats with two adult boats at about 270 total weight, a full tank of gas and normal load of tackle. With that, I think it is still slow and my hole shot is takes forever. I've had a few guys ride with me and each made the same comment about my slow hole shot, slow speed and feeling that my boat never really gets up on plane. I have just emailed all of this to Mark Croxton and am awaiting his advice. Thanks for the remarks!

7. Banned
    You're not going to get much more than that. Two people doing 58 in that boat with a 150 in the hot water/air is pretty damn good if you ask me.

Maybe you need some larger PVS plugs to get your holeshot in order.

....just measured and my prop to pad measurement is 4 1/4". Based on the above comments, it looks as if I could raise my motor up another 1" or so? The truth is I don't really care about being the fastest boat or anything like that. I really just want to get the "performance" that I should get, which I'm not totally sure of what my expectations should be? This is my first fiberglass bass boat and as I read this forum, there is a huge gap in speeds listed, so I'm trying to wade through everything and gather accurate data. Again, I really appreciate the feedback!

9. Banned
    60 is about the max you are going to get with your setup. 61-62 on a really good day, loaded light, one person, one console, empty well and cool temps. Hull design, weight lend to what we can expect from our platforms. If you get more than that out of it be thankful you got a unicorn in a heard of horses.

Raising your motor up will help a little with hole shot and some top end. But if you're already pushing max RPM, 5850, then you could theoretically go up a pitch. Or send the prop off to Croxton to have a little pitch added, maybe tweaked a little for added stern lift. Just watch your water pressure. Don't want to go below 12 at WOT, really should be 15 or higher just to be safe. Go up in 1/4" increments until it's dialed in. Too high and you'll have prop blow out.

Sure, other boats with a 150 can run faster, but they're usually smaller, narrower and not built to the same quality/toughness of a Triton.

Again, good info.....thanks Dave! An easy test is to move jp in 1/4' increments, which I am going to do. Next step is to change to 23p Tempest Plus, but that might have to wait...$$$. Since I started this thread, once I get some info from moving the jp, I'll post my results.