Green alarm wire--talons

Hey guys, my 12 ft talons will be here Thursday and i am trying to get everything ready for a quick install.
    I have a Yamaha 250 SHO and would like to know what wire to splice into for the deployment alarm if motor is started.
    Do i need to splice under console at key switch or in battery-bilge area?
    I'm thinking a yellow wire from what i've been able to find online. Is this right?

2. Member
    Connect to the ignition switch under the dash, cause you want the alarm to alert you as soon as the ignition switch comes on.

3. Member
    ok but what color wire am I looking for?

On my Javelin with a Evinrude I spliced into the purple wire at the ignition switch. To find the wire I needed I removed my ignition switch. I turned my key to the on position but not all the way to the start position...(hopefully it made sense the way I explained that) I took a volt meter and touched the ground to a screw on my dash panel. The reason I did not use the ground coming to the key switch is because there is multiple wires in a tight area so I got ground from a screw on my dash panel. I took the positive lead and started touching the wire leads where they attach to the ignition switch. When I found a wire that had 12 V with the key on I knew what wire I needed to get my power from. In my case it was the purple wire.

You can do what you want but I did not splice into my wire at the key switch I use a wire terminal and attached it to my ignition switch. The wire that runs from the Talon to the key switch is only a couple feet long. I got the correct size wire and extended it so it was long enough to reach my dash. On my ignition switch the wires are secured to the post by a wire terminal and that goes over the threaded post and its secured by a nut. I put a wire terminal on my wire from the talon and attached it to the post with a nut...you can splice if you want and there should be no issue but that is what I done.

Just use a volt meter and find a wire that is hot when the key is in the on position. As long as it only has power when the key is on it really does not matter where you get the power from. Some people have spliced into the hot wire that goes to one of their gauges. It will work as long as that gauge does not have power until the key is in the on position. Don't get hung up on what color of wire to tap into and where to tap into a wire...if you know how to use a volt meter you can easily find 12 V that is controlled by turning on the key

FYI...I have the alarm hooked up on both my Talons. There has been a couple of times when I have had my Talons down and started my big motor and the alarm always went off. However I do have two things I do not like about the alarm. 1st. the volume is low in my opinion. I will admit my hearing is not the best but the volume could be higher. 2nd The alarm goes off for a few seconds and then it stops making any sound. In my opinion it should go off until the Talon is retracted or for several seconds. It may be me with my weak hearing but 3-5 seconds is not long enough for an alarm. It should be 15 seconds and/or louder. Please do not let my 2 complaints persuade you into not hooking yours up...by all means hook it up because any alarm is better than no alarm at all

Good read, sir...
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

6. Member
    This was posted a while in the Mercury Board "Rather than cutting/splicing in the keyswitch harness... you can pick up the Purple wire on one of your analog instruments".. Crimp on a ring terminal . As soon as I turn the key and hold before starting when the test beep goes off, start.the engine..

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 6BOOMER View Post
    This was posted a while in the Mercury Board "Rather than cutting/splicing in the keyswitch harness... you can pick up the Purple wire on one of your analog instruments".. Crimp on a ring terminal . As soon as I turn the key and hold before starting when the test beep goes off, start.the engine..
    This is what I did on my last boat, it worked well. As soon as I get the time I will be doing the same on my Ranger

8. Member
    I don't even use the alarm wire, I just made it a habit to glance and see if I have any blue lights on when I turn to get in the drivers seat. It becomes second nature after a little while.

9. Member
    I found I had several wires under my dash that had connectors but were not hooked up to anything. I tested them until I found an ignition hot one and plugged into to it.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by daleco78 View Post
    Hey guys, my 12 ft talons will be here Thursday and i am trying to get everything ready for a quick install.
    I have a Yamaha 250 SHO and would like to know what wire to splice into for the deployment alarm if motor is started.
    Do i need to splice under console at key switch or in battery-bilge area?
    I'm thinking a yellow wire from what i've been able to find online. Is this right?
    Dale, industry standard on a hot with key on is purple. The Skeeter should adhere to that with wiring under the dash. There is probably not anything in the bilge area, However, as we discussed, under the cowl of the SHO there maybe a purple wire that is used for diagnostic purposes. It would have a bullet connector with nothing connected to it. Test it for hot with key on. I've used it on Mercurys, just make sure the size is OK to carry the alarm (same size as the wire you're connecting to it). Thanks for letting us help you.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

11. Member
    My Yamaha 250 SHO uses a Yellow wire that I spliced into and alarm works perfect. Talons are installed and ready for use. Thank You---Jones Trolling Motor
    Ordered Monday, received Thursday and only being able to work on them a couple hours at a time i finished this morning. Looks Awesome!!!!

12. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    We have a owners gallery in this forum. Its a sticky thread at the top...post a picture

13. Member
    Pics now in owners thread

14. Member
    Was this yellow wire in the cowling? Just got a talon and have a Yamaha Sho...hoping I don’t have to run that alarm wire all the way to the console in my Z520...

[B][I]Jeff