Difference between the 2016 Z520C and 2016 Z520?

Is there any difference other than what comes standard and what's an option? I can't tell looking at Ranger's website.

2. Member
    Upgraded electronics. Prepackaged color schemes. Little things here and there. The z520 will save you a little in the beginning but you'll want to do some upgrades and it will probably cost the same after you do that. Fortrex differences is one thing I see immediately.
    Joey Aderhold

Thanks

4. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    The Z520 will save you a lot in the beginning (base price), and even after upgrades it will still be significantly less expensive than a comparably equipped Z520C. There are a few items on the 520C that are difficult to add to a 520, like padded front deck, and these few items significantly increase the price difference. You have to ask yourself whether those few items are worth thousands to you. I have an older (2012) Z520, before the advent of the 520C. It has all the "extras" on it, but if I could remove a few of those extras and save $2-3, I certainly would. I believe Rsnger even has a little extra factored into the price of the Z520C just for the "ain't it cool" factor. Same principle as the vehicle manufacturers and their premium models, like the GM Denali series. Add up all you're getting extra, then look at the model just below it, equipped similarly, and ask yourself whether you'd pay that premium if the extras weren't already installed.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

5. Member
    Dealer told me comparing a base z520 to the base z520c was about $8000 difference in the price.

The non C boats comes with a padded deck standard.

There are cosmetic differences that may or may not mean much to you, stainless steel accents on the foot rests, around the console, etc.. Some of them you can add easily (like the windshield decal on the C boats). You also get custom colors included in the price of the C boats where you have to pay with a non C and the non c doesn't get the top cap strip/accent.

I believe I read some posts on here that said the hull, construction, seats are the same now with C and non C.

The Z520 C and non C are more alike than the other boats (519 and 518). When I did my 519 in February even with all the upgrades I did the C was $2 or $3k more (with no troller and no electronics). I think the only thing I didn't get vs the stock C was the keypad and the compartment fans (I might be missing more) and the cosmetic things. I did a ton of upgrades, dual axle trailer, custom color, jackplate, mercmonitor, black bullet wheels, etc.

In hindsight the one thing I wish I had is the compartment fans. I thought it was sort of gimmicky but if I put wet dock lines in a compartment and shut it they are still pretty damp the next day.

7. Member
    I know this is an old post although I have a similar questions and didn't want to clutter the forum. I'm looking at a 16' Z520. It's a great looking boat and very lightly used with only 30hrs. I haven't had a chance to see it in person although I was curious what things the C has that you non C owners wished you had... if any?

Do the non C boats have the locker vent fans? And what about a padded front deck? I'm not too concerned with the windshield decal, ss accents on the foot rests, etc.

8. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    The two things you specifically mention—ventilated lockers and padded deck—are the main things the non-C boat does not have, along with the electronic dash switches. I’ve had several Rangers with and without padded deck, and personally (despite my advanced age) cannot tell the difference. As to locker ventilation, if you open your lockers when in storage, no issue. Locker ventilation can also be added aftermarket, though it wouldn’t be quite as simple as just bolting something on. I consider the C package just like buying the highest trim on a car or truck. You buy the highest trim package, and in 1 fell swoop you get all the convenience and appearance features you’d like to have. You also get, and pay for, several other features you’d just as soon do without if push came to shove. And there even seems to be a little added upcharge tacked on at the end. However, it’s only money, and finding a used boat with exactly the options you want (and no extras) can be difficult and time-consuming.

Quote Originally Posted by MidwestTexan View Post
    I know this is an old post although I have a similar questions and didn't want to clutter the forum. I'm looking at a 16' Z520. It's a great looking boat and very lightly used with only 30hrs. I haven't had a chance to see it in person although I was curious what things the C has that you non C owners wished you had... if any?

Do the non C boats have the locker vent fans? And what about a padded front deck? I'm not too concerned with the windshield decal, ss accents on the foot rests, etc.
    It depends on how the original dealer ordered the boat. I bought my 16 520 new from a dealers showroom. It came with vented lockers, padded deck, and electronic dash.
    The main differences between a C and non C, on the boat, are cosmetic trim. The non C does not have the waterline stripe is the biggest that I see. The one option I do not have that comes standard on a C is a pump out livewell.
    My trailer does differ from a C. I do not have chrome wheels, parking brake, or tongue step. But I've seen a few non C boats that have all that. Depends on how it was ordered.

10. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Some excellent experiential reports in this thread, with the upshot being “standard” is usually only set in stone at the precise time and place a new boat is being ordered. My closest Ranger dealer, for example, always orders his stock boats of a certain model—C, non-C, or L—with certain, non-standard features that the vast majority of his customers prefer. Perhaps the best way to approach decisions of “loaded model or base model?” is to carefully compare the current differences between the two versions on Ranger’s site and decide which features would be deal-breakers for you. Within a span of several years, there are likely to be very few features, if any, that are totally new to Ranger boats in 2018 or 2019. If you see a base model that is lacking some features you covet, most of those things can still be added: livewell pumpout, locker ventilation, parking brake, oxygenator. Of course, some would be very difficult to add, or cost more to add than they are worth to you. A little homework goes a long way, but if not having every option would bother you, there’s a fix for that: just buy the Icon.