Mounting PS-30 On Semi V Hull

With the PS-30 I will be losing some forward view.

Reason. Mounting the transducer, because of its horizontal length and the keep it above the bottom edge of the boat the port side of the PS-30 will be above the transom edge bottom, in order for the starboard side to be parallel with the bottom edge.

Reason: Do not want a rooster tail cause by the transducer.

Any thoughts.

2. Member
    Make a bracket that extends back so the transducer sits further away from the hull. You can get short pieces of aluminum channel at a scrap yard that should work.

A more complex option would be some type of hinged bracket with an arm sticking up where you could reach it from in the boat. Then you could fold it up/down when you take off. Something like those old kicker motor brackets that let you raise/lower a kicker motor only much smaller.

Some people have mounted the transducer on an electric or hydrolic trim tab so they could raise it up/down from the front.
    Smokercraft Phantom 202 Yamaha F115/Merc 9.9
    Garmin 7610xsv/GT51M-TM/Panoptix PS21/LiveScope
    Why am I hanging out here when I could be fishing.....

3. Member
    Hummm, the webs we weave

4. Member
    How far back and thanks for the reminder

5. Member
    Im not sure how far back you would need to go. It would depend on the dead rise on the hull and how hi you end up mounting it. I also dont know what the forward scanning angle is on the PS30. As a wild ass guess - 6"-8" - maybe?

One problem just occurred to me with that option though. The further back you go, the more your lower unit will tend to block one side of the beam. I dont know if you use your main engine to troll or a smaller kicker in the back. That might kill the set back idea unless you can raise them up out of the way when using the PS30 and a bow trolling motor.

A hinge or trim tab type of thing might be better.
    Smokercraft Phantom 202 Yamaha F115/Merc 9.9
    Garmin 7610xsv/GT51M-TM/Panoptix PS21/LiveScope
    Why am I hanging out here when I could be fishing.....

6. Member
    I mounted my ps 30 below the bottom of boat. Just enough so that transducer would have clear path. Have not experienced any rooster tailing. A caveat with that is I only have a 20 HP tiller steer motor.
    Helix Mega 10 SI G2N , ILink
    Garmin 1040 XS / Garmin 1242 xsv with Panoptix Down VU PS 30 W/ GCV 10 networked with PS 31. Boat Rig

Echomap Ultra 106 SV with Livescope 12 . Ice Rig

7. Member

PS-30 on transom

Here is the position settled on, weak two foot rooster tail so I can deal with that. Hope it helps
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Member
    Wondering how this is working out for you? I have my PS 30 on a stick currently but thinking of moving it to the transom. I have a V hull walleye boat so will have a more extreme situation. Id like to not have anything sticking below the hull that could bang on a stump or rock, however Id like to get full forward angle of the sonar.

Seems like I would need a bracket to mount it further back the it could be above the hull bottom? Does anyone have pictures of a mount like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Treeguyus View Post
    Here is the position settled on, weak two foot rooster tail so I can deal with that. Hope it helps

9. Member

10. Member
    Well that might be an option too, but I was hoping to space it out from the transom, then have it above the bottom of the hull and have it permanently mounted.

Have other transduers and the motor to work around too though.

11. Member
    Ideally Id like to be able to see under the front of my 18ft boat in 15ft of water with the PS30 transom mounted. Will it work correctly if mounted at an angle like this guy did? Or can I get enough transmit forward angle mounting it flat?

12. Member
    Here is another mount like this with the PS30 angled forward. Is anybody running it mounted like this?

13. Member