Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pedestals coming unscrewed

My seat pedestals come unscrewed constantly. I have to tighten them multiple times during a fishing trip. Anyone have any ideas on how to keep them tight?
    I remove them after I'm done fishing and for storage. Keeping them tight and still be able to remove them is what I'm looking for.

2. Member
    You may be able to rig up a lock washer kind of arrangement. Maybe try some rubber material such as an inner tube. Tourque it down tight and it should compress a little and give you a good bite.

Mine come loose too, This is the first boat that Ive had that problem with. I just tighten them up every so often
    2022 Xpress H17 - Yamaha SHO 90

4. Member
    My back seat pedestal doesn't but my front butt seat pedestal does. I just check it every so often.

5. Member
    Tighten and put a little lube under the spring and top of pedestal and a little bees wax on the threads worked great for me.
    RT188 Camo 115 Yamha SHO

6. Member
    Both of mine came would come loose every time I used them. It seems like a problem with the Rangers and the seat pedestals.

2023 Ranger RT188P
    2023 Mercury Pro XS 115
    Garmin 126SV (2), 93SV, LVS34
    Minn Kota Ultrex

Every tin boat I've had has had issues with the screws coming loose. Sea ark, Lowe , and. Xpress. The Xpress were loose when I got the boat I haven't had it in the water yet as it is getting some updates. I've always checked things over once a month and tighten down anything that needs it.

8. Member
    I know that the seat post would have to be retightened several times during a single trip to the lake. I've tried several different things to keep it from happening but nothing works.

2023 Ranger RT188P
    2023 Mercury Pro XS 115
    Minn Kota Ultrex

The Ranger seat post won't stay tight because they are not threading into a nut. They are threading into a flat washer that is welded on the bottom of the deck pedestal. The washer just covers one thread groove where as a nut will catch a bunch of threads. I tightened the post good then reached under the decks and put a 3/4 in. nut on the seat post and snugged the nut up good with a wrench. Problem solved, post are secure and tight. They don't wobble, and they have never loosened up again.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jimco View Post
    The Ranger seat post won't stay tight because they are not threading into a nut. They are threading into a flat washer that is welded on the bottom of the deck pedestal. The washer just covers one thread groove where as a nut will catch a bunch of threads. I tightened the post good then reached under the decks and put a 3/4 in. nut on the seat post and snugged the nut up good with a wrench. Problem solved, post are secure and tight. They don't wobble, and they have never loosened up again.
    good idea

11. Member
    The seat mounts in my boat have a large nut welded to the bottom of it where the threaded post is inserted.
    Last edited by blueultra2; 05-01-2016 at 04:53 PM.

2023 Ranger RT188P
    2023 Mercury Pro XS 115
    Minn Kota Ultrex

The 2013 and 2014 models had a problem with the seat posts freezing up to the point that it took a pipe wrench to break them loose. I had that problem with my 2014 and now I have the problem of the seat posts loosening up on my 2016. Whatever they did to solve the freezing problem brought on the loosening problem but it is not severe so I am ok with it.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

Quote Originally Posted by blueultra2 View Post
    The seat mounts in my boat have a large nut welded to the bottom of it where the threaded post is inserted.
    I thought my pedestals in my boat had a nut also until I actually reached under and felt the flat washer welded to the bottom. It was really frustrating to have to keep tightening the seat post all day long. I even tightened them with a pipe wrench and they would still loosen up.
    Since I put the 3/4 in. nuts from underneath, problem solved.

14. Member
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try some of them. I was thinking about trying some painters tape on the threads then tighten it down.
    My boat is a 2013 Tracker Pro Team 175 TXW.

Quote Originally Posted by Basskisser View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try some of them. I was thinking about trying some painters tape on the threads then tighten it down.
    My boat is a 2013 Tracker Pro Team 175 TXW.
    Sorry _ none of my previous post applies. I jumped to the conclusion that you had a Ranger. My Bad

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    Sorry _ none of my previous post applies. I jumped to the conclusion that you had a Ranger. My Bad
    My fault. I should've specified my boat brand/model in the first post.

Quote Originally Posted by jimco View Post
    That is a great idea. Only issue would be if you use a boat cover mine is too tight i have to remove the pedistals on mine.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

18. Member
    I don't know why they didn't use the clip-lock bases like the use in their glass boats. A threaded seat pedestal makes no sense to me. It's always going to come loose unless you only spin to your right while sitting in the seat. And the unthreaded version just wobbles in the base.

2023 Ranger RT188P
    2023 Mercury Pro XS 115
    Minn Kota Ultrex

Why not Loctite. The blue allows removal with simple hand tools, like a strap wrench.
    http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/10/...r-Blue-242.htm
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    Why not Loctite. The blue allows removal with simple hand tools, like a strap wrench.
    http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/10/...r-Blue-242.htm

I would give this a shot. You should be able to bust it loose with a pipewrench later. Just make sure you do not use the wrong stuff!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast