8' Blades - take apart

Guys,

I have a question about taking apart my 8' blades. I would like to powder coat them a different color and was wondering if any of you have taken yours apart. Any do's and don'ts that you found while doing so?

Appreciate the feedback!

Darrin
    Darrin J. Engstrom
    Musky Hunt Guide Service
    Chippewa Falls, WI 54279
    http://www.muskyhunt.com

2. BBC SPONSOR
    Dealers have a spreader tool which makes things easier. Make sure your Powder Coater stays light on the Powder.. The Blades have some tight tolerances... See link for help. Pay attention to bushing design.

https://hydrillagear.com/wp-content/...1_11.13.13.pdf
    Last edited by Hydrilla Gear; 04-27-2016 at 11:06 AM.

3. Member
    What about a vinyl wrap instead of a powder coat? Won't be as durable over time, but much easier than taking them apart. Just a thought of insight.

Ranger z520 // Mercury 250 Pro XS
    12ft BT Talons/112 Ultrex/Hbird 360

4. Member
    Thanks for the idea.

You have a recommendation of where to get them done?
    Darrin J. Engstrom
    Musky Hunt Guide Service
    Chippewa Falls, WI 54279

5. Member
    Shallow Water Customz does some that I know of, I'm sure some others do as well. http://www.shallowwatercustomz.com/p...wer-pole-wrap/

Their website isn't that great, but they have a ton of colors looks like. I have never used them personally, just have heard of others that have and thought it was worth a recommendation to ya. Probably easiest to contact them.

6. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Why not hydrodip them be happy to give you a quote.

7. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by mn_bowhunter View Post
    What about a vinyl wrap instead of a powder coat? Won't be as durable over time, but much easier than taking them apart. Just a thought of insight.
    You could. I have seen many pro's with Wrapped blades. The relief holes in the blades design make it a real choir to wrap and over time it begins to look like crud just my opinion.. They look good from far but up close...not so much.. Maybe you could wrap the face and not the portion with the holes just a thought.

8. Member
    Good insight Rich. I'm sure over time they would not look that great - I'm guessing for us Northern guys who only get to use our boats 7 months out of the year that hopefully he'd be able to get a couple years out of a wrap if he so chose. Powder Coat, probably forever! Honestly I'm not sure about a wrap either just thought I would give the OP an option to think about rather than dismantling the blades. I would think that the wraps come die or laser cut to accommodate the holes in the blades? I'd want to know that 100% before I made a purchase if I was in OP's position.

I've never seen a power pole vinyl wrap in person - just heard about the shallow water customs thing because of Zack Birge and the pictures looked pretty good. Obviously - powder coat would last a lot longer, but vinyl wrap a lot more affordable and no dismantling required. Hopefully the OP is satisfied with whatever he ends up choosing and turns out great!

9. Member
    Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions. If I do it we will go with powder coat as one of our sponsors is a powder coat guy.

I have other items on the boat that are already powder coated so we would want to keep the same color for consistency.

I will let you know what we decide and show you pictures once we are done.

Thanks again,
    Darrin
    Darrin J. Engstrom
    Musky Hunt Guide Service
    Chippewa Falls, WI 54279

10. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin Engstrom View Post
    Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions. If I do it we will go with powder coat as one of our sponsors is a powder coat guy.

I have other items on the boat that are already powder coated so we would want to keep the same color for consistency.

I will let you know what we decide and show you pictures once we are done.

Thanks again,
    Darrin

Let me know if you need any other help or insight

Rich

11. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by mn_bowhunter View Post
    Good insight Rich. I'm sure over time they would not look that great - I'm guessing for us Northern guys who only get to use our boats 7 months out of the year that hopefully he'd be able to get a couple years out of a wrap if he so chose. Powder Coat, probably forever! Honestly I'm not sure about a wrap either just thought I would give the OP an option to think about rather than dismantling the blades. I would think that the wraps come die or laser cut to accommodate the holes in the blades? I'd want to know that 100% before I made a purchase if I was in OP's position.

I've never seen a power pole vinyl wrap in person - just heard about the shallow water customs thing because of Zack Birge and the pictures looked pretty good. Obviously - powder coat would last a lot longer, but vinyl wrap a lot more affordable and no dismantling required. Hopefully the OP is satisfied with whatever he ends up choosing and turns out great!

The wraps via Power Pole do not come die cut. Bobby Lane had a Spider Wire wrap on his BLADE a few years ago.. Each hole looked to be cut by razor...UGH.. a fully wrapping set of blades... I don't see how you could do it. It would take some serious skill and time.

12. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrilla Gear View Post
    You could. I have seen many pro's with Wrapped blades. The relief holes in the blades design make it a real choir to wrap and over time it begins to look like crud just my opinion.. They look good from far but up close...not so much.. Maybe you could wrap the face and not the portion with the holes just a thought.
    exactly why hydrodipping them is a much better option, if you want some sort of design rather then a plain powdercoat color.