Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Lowrance confirmed to me that they are putting out the exact same nmea sentence in the point 1 as they did in the older generation GPS pucks (pre-heading sensor). I validated by installing my older Lowrance GPS puck and can select it in the helix external GPS screen. Problem is that the older GPS puck doesn't give heading sensor and has less accuracy.
    HB CS sent me the following today coincidentally:

Omar,
    I'm sorry but I have not received any more correspondence concerning the Helix recognizing the Lowrance Point1 antenna. As it stands, the problem is still being investigated to determine a root cause and a future solution if possible. We appreciate your patience during this time.

Good Boating & Fishing!

Julie -CRC

----------

To me, it's obviously in the Helix.....but I will continue to digress and wait for a fix.....

2. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    Do you have any other HB units networked to the H10 by chance?

Curious ...
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sfw1960 View Post
    Do you have any other HB units networked to the H10 by chance?

Curious ...
    No other units networked.
    single H10 with nmea2k gateway. The helix unit is able to get heading info along with pitch and roll details from the point 1, just not able to see it in the GPS menu to select it as an external GPS source.

4. Member
    It's been a few more months. Did this ever get resolved? I want to do something similar with my boat.

5. Member
    HB support still has not provided an update or resolution. I have not tried updating the Helix 10 to revision 1.35 yet but see that they added a couple of more NMEA2K readouts in this latest revision. No confirmation from HB support if the 1.35 will allow you to select the Lowrance Point1 as the external source.

I will be trying it out in a few weeks (the upgrade to 1.35) and report back.

6. Member
    I went through something similar a while back. I now have both the Point 1 and the humminbird HS antenna on my boat (point 1 for lowrance NMEA gauge and humminbird for my helix -- totally separate networks). It was a frustrating experience for sure. I really wish HB would improve their NMEA2K compatibility.

7. Banned
    The core series has always been nmea light

8. Member
    Well, I updated the helix 10 to the latest update today 1.35 and guess what?... still no beno.......helix will not display the point1 as an external gps...I can see heading info, pitch and roll on the nmea gauge view, but helix will only display its internal gps.

Disappointing....HB support still "looking into a solution"... even though they confirmed the same issue.

9. Member
    I have another issue: Helix 12 GEN2 (latest software) doesn't manage to take heading from Point-1 through AS ETH NMEA2K (altough it says it takes - the donut says it doesn't:). There was no such an issue with GEN1! What shoul I try?
    PS At the same time this unit can take GPS and heading from AS GPS HS compas of the bow unit (Helix GEN1), but it doesn't work for me because the bow unit is off most of the time, plus it is 18 feet away from the transducer.
    Last edited by CHOOhonets; 07-17-2017 at 06:31 AM.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CHOOhonets View Post
    I have another issue: Helix 12 GEN2 (latest software) doesn't manage to take heading from Point-1 through AS ETH NMEA2K (altough it says it takes - the donut says it doesn't:). There was no such an issue with GEN1! What shoul I try?
    PS At the same time this unit can take GPS and heading from AS GPS HS compas of the bow unit (Helix GEN1), but it doesn't work for me because the bow unit is off most of the time, plus it is 18 feet away from the transducer.
    Pretty sure at this point the Helix units will not be able to select the Point1 as an external GPS through the NMEA2K gateway (Gen2 included)... not sure why HB can't fix it as it's a standard PGN being passed through... extremely annoying and frustrating to see $1000+ units that can't read standard PGN's for GPS location through NMEA2K, but yet be able to read pitch, roll, heading..etc..etc....

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Omarf4 View Post
    Pretty sure at this point the Helix units will not be able to select the Point1 as an external GPS through the NMEA2K gateway (Gen2 included)... not sure why HB can't fix it as it's a standard PGN being passed through... extremely annoying and frustrating to see $1000+ units that can't read standard PGN's for GPS location through NMEA2K, but yet be able to read pitch, roll, heading..etc..etc....
    I have problems with heading also though...(donut)
    Attached Images Attached Images

12. Banned
    just get the humminbird heading sensor puck. even my solix 15's don't play well with my nmea heading sensor or gps pucks

13. Member
    Thank you, Troy! ONIX work with them well, but seems yes, should go with one more puck (already have AS GPS HS on the bow for 360 and Point-1 on the console).

14. Banned
    i havent had any heading issues with my solix and airmar heading sensor, but they do not like my garmin nmea gps pucks at all. I'm swapping my 2 garmin pucks for bird heading sensor pucks and eliminating the airmar

15. Member
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=331468&page=2
    Found out that I can't get depth information through NMEA2K also! That's crazy:(

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12