Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2015 250 sho bogging down

i only have 8 hrs on my motor but it is bogging down when i get out of hole. doesnt do it every time. any thoughts or experience with this?

2. Member
    First thing you might want to check is proper venting of the fuel tank, are you hearing a ton of pressure when opening the cap? There have been a couple people on here with similar issues due to kinked or improperly run vent lines on top of the gas tank that caused problems.

3. Member
    I am having the same problem with a 2011 225 SHO. I had it at a shop and Yamaha said it was dirty injectors. Cleaned them and replaced fuel filters and now it does it probably 20% of the time instead of 80-85% of the time.

But mentioning venting I have noticed mine to be worse when I have both tanks full of fuel. My problem started last October and gradually got worse over time. Before injectors getting cleaned sometimes I couldn't even get on pad.

Jdavis have you noticed your issues being common with the motor making a different sound upon startup? Kind of like a miss but clears up n under 3 seconds? I swear I hear that before mine boggs down. I cut the key off, count to ten, start it, then punch it and it seems to do better.
    John 16:33
    2016 Tracker Pro Team 195
    2016 Mercury 150 Four Stroke

4. Member
    I would assume you have a hotfoot installed, if its the case, ingage the gear lever all the way down and enjoy your boat!
    your problem is caused by you only just putting the motor in gear, like mentioned, put gear lever all the way forward!

5. Member
    To add to the both off you posted above, the motor idles only on a few cylinders, its a fuel saving thing, by you not ingadeging the gearlever all the way forward the motor is still in the fuel saving mode , threfore tou are trying to plane with some cylinders not working!

6. Member
    I do have a hotfoot installed Frikster, and my throttle is all the way down. I wish it was that simple of a fix but sadly that's not the case for my problem. I do that every time

7. Member
    Hope you get it sorted bud!

8. Member
    You and me both!
    I took it out last night and it still did the same thing. I am going to change the water fuel separator tonight to see if that helps anything.
    Jdavis have you talked to your dealer? Do they have any suggestions?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by T Live151 View Post
    You and me both!
    I took it out last night and it still did the same thing. I am going to change the water fuel separator tonight to see if that helps anything.
    Jdavis have you talked to your dealer? Do they have any suggestions?
    not yet. did it several tmes yesterday but hoping they can clear it up on 20 hr service. ill try the throttle all the way down as i just put it in gear

10. Banned
    Never heard of sho motors running at idle on less than six cylinders. I know mine doesn't. The bugging down is mostlikely timing advance related. Take it back to the dealer. It's an easy fix.

11. Member
    Wouldn't timing do it all the time? Consistently? I changed the water fuel separator tonight and retested. NO DICE
    Mine will do good from the start...fresh off the trailer. Run it, fish for 30 minutes, try to get on pad....bog down. Restart it after counting to ten and then it's good.
    If you come off pad, shut it off, restart and get on pad it goes just fine.
    From what I can tell the sitting time after being ran is an issue.
    Jdavis are our issues similar?

12. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    have you checked the fuel line under the coupling from where it comes out of the tube, if that bend is to sharp it will kink when the motor warms up and the line gets soft.
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

13. Member
    The way you say it has to sit for a little bit makes it sound like your fuel bulb might be bad and losing prime. Then when you start to get up on pad it starves for fuel. Cheap fix to try.

14. Member
    I have looked at all the hoses tonight when I did the water/fuel separator...but that being said I will pay better attention to hot and cold.
    My only question with the lines is why would it not act up when I cut it off for only a few seconds and restart with the engine warm it does just fine?
    Drewtick thank you for the input, jdavis sorry for stealing your thread. I'm just fed up with this issue.
    I will check again this weekend and post. Thanks again everyone

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    The way you say it has to sit for a little bit makes it sound like your fuel bulb might be bad and losing prime. Then when you start to get up on pad it starves for fuel. Cheap fix to try.
    I agree with you kry29 but I don't prime it when I get launch the boat and almost every time from the trailer it hops on pad fine...does that make sense to you? I kmow not everything makes sense but im trying to use some logic. I will probably try that as well this weekend. Thank you for the input

16. Member
    mine does the exact same thing. seems like a fuel management issue to me

17. Member
    Jdavis I changed my primer bulb tonight with one from Napa. Part number is 18-8005EPN or N-2611. Both part numbers were on the package. 3/8 fuel line is what is on mine. I primed it up and checked it and it was firm a half hour later. Fingers crossed for this fix gents. I am going out tomorrow night for a test run.
    Jdavis also if Yamaha says it's thermostats...it isn't them!! I have a fresh set in mine installed by the dealer.

18. Member
    Jdavis, primer bulb didn't fix it. Out here on the lake now. Cleaning filters and injectors tomorrow.

19. Member
    The only "real" problem I have found was today. Tore into it, removed fuel pump to clean screen in the bottom of the tank and it was black!! Cleaned it and now it is white. This is the only problem that I have found this far. I am going tomorrow after church in between rain storms. I will post after.

Jdavis my engine has in the 200's as of hours, it was new to me as of two years ago. This filter hasn't been cleaned to my knowledge.

20. Member
    Black as in small black pieces in there or what? I had a merc with very small black specs in the vst one time and it was fuel hose breaking down internally. Either way sounds like you either have really watered down fuel or some type of breakdown occurring in the fuel system.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast