Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    It could be small pieces of fuel hose. I am going to test tomorrow and order a new filter next week. I will probably do some fuel hose swaps this winter on it. KY29 if it has water in the fuel it isn't from me. I have drained the tanks, sampled the water fuel separator and it is good to go, that's the second time I've changed the separator in 3 months with nothing in it but fuel.
    John 16:33
    2016 Tracker Pro Team 195
    2016 Mercury 150 Four Stroke

2. Member
    The switch that kicks the cylinders out needs to be adjusted its under the shift lever

3. Member
    I was just saying it might be water because I didn't know if the black stuff might have been an algea or something in there. Definitely not if you've done all of that with your fuel but definitely could be fuel line decay. Can you have someone ride with you to see if maybe the fuel lines are collapsing when it's bogging? Do they feel soft or have any soft spots?

4. Member
    Ky29 I definitely understand what your saying and hoses will probably be replaced this winter.
    Onto other news God is good!! my boat didn't mess up once today! It hasnt ran right since March 19. It was the filter screen in the fuel pump. Jdavis bring that up to your dealer. My boat has 4 filters, 1 water fuel separator from the tank, 1 fuel filter on the front of the engine, 1 at the fuel pump, and 1 more in in the bowl before the high pressure fuel pump.

5. Member
    Good to hear. Might need to pin this so atleast people will know where all the filters are

6. Member
    Mine too a doing the same thing and has been. Where is the fuel pump screen located on the SHO?

7. Member
    im at 23 hrs now and have noticed that it only bogs down when its under load and i have run it then set it down and fish for a while then start it and takeoff. seems like a fuel problem because if i idle for a while or dont set very long it wont do it.

8. Member
    I had a similar problem and the Yamaha tech finally came out to the lake to experience it. He said the 4 blade bravo 1 prop was the problem and gave me a 3 blade. It jumps up hard with the Bravo and seems real slow out of the hole with the 3 blade. I still run the Bravo and mine acts up exactly the same as yours. I need to put it back in neutral and rev a few times and then I am back to normal. Mine is a 2010 250 and out of warranty from Yamaha so I just keep it insured for what Yamaha used to through an independent insurance co, that motor is to expensive not too.

9. Member
    I seem to be having a similar problem with my '16 250 SHO. Anyone else have any tips or things to check before i take it to the dealer?

10. Member

2012 Yamaha 250 Sho gas problems

Quote Originally Posted by T Live151 View Post
    Ky29 I definitely understand what your saying and hoses will probably be replaced this winter.
    Onto other news God is good!! my boat didn't mess up once today! It hasnt ran right since March 19. It was the filter screen in the fuel pump. Jdavis bring that up to your dealer. My boat has 4 filters, 1 water fuel separator from the tank, 1 fuel filter on the front of the engine, 1 at the fuel pump, and 1 more in in the bowl before the high pressure fuel pump.
    2012 Yamaha 250 Sho gas problems

11. Member
    Been to dealer and a super tech hasn't found the problem going on 6 months

12. Member
    I have a diagram but I can't get a picture uploaded on here. Send me a private message and I'll send it

13. Member
    Having the same problem they changed the head still having the bogging down allot, been in the shop many weeks, can't fish tournaments etc. what a waste, tech can't fix, they won't tell you what they have changed, yes very intermittent, but lately doing it more, Tech was in the boat and saw it happen, change more parts so they say, still happening, maybe Monday will try again! Yes boat was weighted down all live wells full can't get on plane some times!!!!!!!!! sad

14. Member
    Do these have switch that cut two cylinders out when engaging into gear my hpdi had two of these switches one for kicking cylinders out when idling and one kicking two out for gear engagements I know the sho doesn't cut cylinders out when idling but maybe to get into gear easy mine was out did the boging

15. Member
    Check fuel pump, remember something about a fuel pump failing, grease and black particles in filter. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

16. BBC SPONSOR
    It's the fuel pump. My dealer went so far as to replace the power head and after, I still had the problem. I kept my motor running by pulling the pump and cleaning the on pump filter after each day on the water. I then bought and replaced the fuel pump and it has been perfect since.

I called and passed this information on to Yamaha in Georgia. They should issue a tsb on this if they haven't.

Of note is that the powerhead replacement for the SHO will not include a new fuel pump. So I am guessing that they will all eventually have this problem.

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pbird View Post
    It's the fuel pump. My dealer went so far as to replace the power head and after, I still had the problem. I kept my motor running by pulling the pump and cleaning the on pump filter after each day on the water. I then bought and replaced the fuel pump and it has been perfect since.

I called and passed this information on to Yamaha in Georgia. They should issue a tsb on this if they haven't.

Of note is that the powerhead replacement for the SHO will not include a new fuel pump. So I am guessing that they will all eventually have this problem.
    +1, one of the techs on here mentioned this about a year ago. It was the internal filter in the lift pump that gets clogged up. I believe the fix was to remove the pump and flush it buy running it in reverse.

18. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
    +1, one of the techs on here mentioned this about a year ago. It was the internal filter in the lift pump that gets clogged up. I believe the fix was to remove the pump and flush it buy running it in reverse.
    Thats the short term fix but the grease on the pump filter is coming from the pump. It is either settling out of the pump at rest or being caught by the on pump filter when fuel is circulated by the return fuel system. Either way it is coming from the pump which is not good.

19. Member
    I fought this same issue and read this thread about replacing or cleaning the filter inside the bowl, so I did it and helped for a short and the problem came back. My questions is it part 23 that is considered the fuel pump that you replaced?
    Attached Images Attached Images

20. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by JL View Post
    I fought this same issue and read this thread about replacing or cleaning the filter inside the bowl, so I did it and helped for a short and the problem came back. My questions is it part 23 that is considered the fuel pump that you replaced?
    Yes, part 23. Part 24 is the filter that was continually clogging with greasy residue. The other three filters - big main filter from tank, small filter in water separator on front of powerhead, and fine filter on the input to the pump swirl tank were perfectly clean.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast