Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

USA Who is using high speed baitcasting reels like 8.1:1 or even 9.1:1 ?

Thinking of adding a high speed BC to my arsenal for jigs and flipping style baits. Using 7.1:1 LEWS BC's now - how much would this change my fishing by having a reel that is pulling in an extra 2" or so especially when retrieving jigs or fighting fish? My buddy says worth it- I am not so sure as the 7.1:1 seems to work but the idea of more casts and quicker retrieves could result in more fish over a 8 hour days....thoughts?

2. Member
    I focus more on how much line take-up it has more than the gear ratio anymore. You can have a 15:1 reel and if it only take up 24" of line per turn it doesn't do you any good. I have 6.1 & 6.3 reels that have about 28" per turn and a 7.1 that takes up 30".

There are a couple out there now that are 7.9/8.1 that have close to 34" of take up.

I would focus more on that than a gear ration anymore.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Love my Tatula 8.1:1s
    Yes I have a Pro Staff. No, you can't touch it.

5. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    I'm now cranking square bills on 7.1, and all worm & jigs on 8.1. I drop to 6.4 for 10'-15' crankbaits, spinnerbaits, bladed jigs...5.6 for DD crankbaits. A-mart uses nothing slower than 7.1, except for DD's

6. Member
    I had a Revo Rocket. It was 9.0:1 with 37 inches per turn. Really liked the reel but I lost it on Grand Lake.

I would buy another one but truthfully I have so many 7.1:1 reels (31-33 inches per turn) I just use those. There's honestly never been a time when I was like "man, I wish my reel was faster"

7. Member
    The rocket is awesome for topwater and flipping and pitching.

I'll be using a Quantum Speed Freak 8:1 this year for the first time, can't wait to see how it performs :)

The pros use them because they troll their 110 trolling motors on high all day covering a lot ground. The high gear ratio/line retrieve is to keep up with the boats movement and to keep the baits barely moving. The 'Honey Badger' mentioned it at the weigh in Sunday here in Mountain Home. He said he was reeling as fast as he could but barely moving the bait he was fishing with. Almost sounded like he needed more inches per rev.

The gear ratio to line/inches reeled in kinda go hand in hand.....don't they? The gears are all relatively the same per ratio, as is the diameter of the reel/spool.
    2017 Ranger RT188, Dual Console, Crystal Red Metallic, Mercury 115 Pro XS Four Stroke, Command Thrust with Tempest 24P, 52 MPH GPS @ 5200 RPM
    Motor Guide 80 lb Xi5 Pin Point/GPS , Lowrance HDS 7 w/Totalscan @ Console, Lowrance Elite 7 TI @ Bow; Romans 6:23

10. Member
    I'm adding the JDM version of the Zillion SV TWS 9.1:1 to my lineup this year for my frog/flip/punch setup. at just over 38 IPT with an SV spool I'm excited to put it to work.

11. Derek McCullough
    Quote Originally Posted by glfgd82 View Post
    I'm adding the JDM version of the Zillion SV TWS 9.1:1 to my lineup this year for my frog/flip/punch setup. at just over 38 IPT with an SV spool I'm excited to put it to work.
    I have the same reel on a Tatula frog rod I use for flipping and it's awesome!

12. Member
    Spool width and spool diameter play a major role in the IPT. Take the LFS versions of the Lews. It takes a 7.5 gear to pick 31" with an LFS where a 7.1 gear picks up 31" on the Super Duty. The difference is in width and diameter of the spool.

Revo Rocket 9.1 burning 1.0 squarebills in shallow water has been golden for me.
    Stroker DC21 Mercury 250 XB

14. Member
    May be different here but the high speed reel is just hype. There is no need for a reel that moves the bait that fast. I do not own a reel over 6.8:1 and I promise you I've never seen a time where I thought a faster reel would have helped. I still fish crankbaits on 5.1 reels and most everything else is either 5.1 or 6.3. It is just a marketing ploy to make more money. I catch 700-900 fish a year and my tournament winnings pay for my fishing. I don't think a faster reel would help one bit.

15. Derek McCullough
    Quote Originally Posted by g2072 View Post
    May be different here but the high speed reel is just hype. There is no need for a reel that moves the bait that fast. I do not own a reel over 6.8:1 and I promise you I've never seen a time where I thought a faster reel would have helped. I still fish crankbaits on 5.1 reels and most everything else is either 5.1 or 6.3. It is just a marketing ploy to make more money. I catch 700-900 fish a year and my tournament winnings pay for my fishing. I don't think a faster reel would help one bit.
    Well pat you on the back! lol But I assure you there are times when a high speed reel is a necessity, for me any way. When it comes to flipping and covering water you can be so much more efficient using a high speed reel, also when a a big fish makes a run towards you it's a great tool to have when need to get the slack in quick. It really has nothing to do with moving the bait fast in the strike zone, it's getting the bait into and out of the strike zone as fast as possible.

16. Member
    Haha. Wow post like this make me laugh and show the lack of knowledge you have on reels. Derek is correct, there are times it defiantly helps. Not saying that they are a must but defiantly can help.

17. Member
    League City, TX/Lake Sam Rayburn (Rayburn Country)
    I have a Tatula thats 8 or 9 to 1 I use some

I have 2 Quantum speed freak reels, I love them. Not so much for retrieving a lure, but to get the lure in to make the next cast.

Now that the water is in the mid 60s, I'm throwing a hard jerkbait with a Zillion 9.1 and love it

20. Member
    I have 2 revo rockets. Great for topwater, flukes, and soft plastics. But baits the provide resistance, even jigs, I find too much resistance on a normal retrieve. I use the 7.1 reels for those.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast