Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Prop suggestions for the new ProXS 4 stroke on a RT188.

Getting real close to ordering a RT188. My dealer got in a couple of the new 115 hp ProXS 4 strokes this week. Sounds like they will turn more rpm's than the normal 4 stroke. 6300 rpm's I believe is what he said. So will this require a prop or pitch change from the Laser II or X7 that most have been running and recommending? I will have to decide on having it ordered with a SS prop or with out if I need to buy something different than what they send on it. I will have to ask/look this week to see what prop and pitch they are sending on them.
    2015 RT188 Mercury 4 Stroke Laser II 21P
    Helix 12/360 Imaging/Dual Helix 10's/Ultrex

2. Member
    My 115 4s came from the factory with a 20p LasorII running 6200rpm. I had some cup added this winter and it now runs 5800rpm. I'm in the 3rd hole and have a 4" setback. Ran 49.6 all day long yesterday.

Looks like some pretty good numbers. I don't make much for long runs anymore but I do fish fast and move around a lot compared to most crappie guys. So the hole shot will be more important than trying to milk another mph or two out of it for me.

The Pro XS 4 stroke will have the larger gear case and will take the large hub props like a 150 horse engine. The Spitfire X7 and some Laser II are small hub props. Check out what people are running on the 150 4 stroke.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeterbait View Post
    The Pro XS 4 stroke will have the larger gear case and will take the large hub props like a 150 horse engine. The Spitfire X7 and Laser II are small hub props. Check out what people are running on the 150 4 stroke.
    Actually I believe they are making it with standard and command thrust gearcase like the old fourstroke. At least if Im reading their website correct.

6. Member
    The Pro XS 4 stroke will have the larger gear case and will take the large hub props like a 150 horse engine. The Spitfire X7 and some Laser II are small hub props. Check out what people are running on the 150 4 stroke.

If this is the case the tempest and the fury?

I run a Tempest Plus on my current boat with good results on overall performance. I'll have to check in on which style it will take. The sell of my current rig fell through so back to trying to get it sold before ordering a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by danfromwindsor View Post
    Actually I believe they are making it with standard and command thrust gearcase like the old fourstroke. At least if Im reading their website correct.
    Ranger only delivers the 115 4S with the standard gearcase. So you don't have to consider the large prop hub. So the top two choices for a prop based on others who own that boat and engine combination is the 20P Laser ll or the 19P X7. The Laser you may want to consider having it cupped.

Eat, Sleep, Hunt & Fish

2010 Tracker Tournament V18 18' 3"
    Mercury 115 Optimax, Mercury Spitfire X7 Prop 19P
    Minn Kota 70b Thrust Maxxum
    6 inch CMC Pro Hi-Jacker
    Lowrance Elite 7 TI (Bow)
    Lowrance HDS7 GEN 3 Touch (Console)
    Smartcraft Merc Monitor (Basic)

Sounds good. Was just wondering if the few extra rpm's the new motor turns would make a difference in pitch selection. As long as it gets a good hole shot and does push the max rpm's is main concern.

Not true. Like danfromwindsor posted they will be offered in both versions. The model debuted at the boat show was a standard gearcase actually.

From mercs claims this engine is supposed to be stout so its likely not just a rev limiter change. If that is the case perhaps it can handle a little more pitch as well im not sure. Someone has to be the first to test it out i suppose.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Quote Originally Posted by jigging15 View Post
    Sounds good. Was just wondering if the few extra rpm's the new motor turns would make a difference in pitch selection. As long as it gets a good hole shot and does push the max rpm's is main concern.
    I don't believe in this case it has that much to do with it. Whether it is the 2S OptiMax, Pro XS or the 4S the most commonly seen props across the board on the RT188 is 19 to 21P with most folks settling on the 19P and 20P depending whether it is a 3 blade or 4 bladed prop.

Eat, Sleep, Hunt & Fish

2010 Tracker Tournament V18 18' 3"
    Mercury 115 Optimax, Mercury Spitfire X7 Prop 19P
    Minn Kota 70b Thrust Maxxum
    6 inch CMC Pro Hi-Jacker
    Lowrance Elite 7 TI (Bow)
    Lowrance HDS7 GEN 3 Touch (Console)
    Smartcraft Merc Monitor (Basic)

Quote Originally Posted by krr6581 View Post
    I don't believe in this case it has that much to do with it. Whether it is the 2S OptiMax, Pro XS or the 4S the most commonly seen props across the board on the RT188 is 19 to 21P with most folks settling on the 19P and 20P depending whether it is a 3 blade or 4 bladed prop.
    I have to agree. And if the motor could handle a little more be just as easy to have a good prop guy work over the 19 x7 or the 20 laser to dial them in just right. Idk if a jack plate and if this engine is in fact quite a bit more snappy like they claim it may handle a bigger prop but nobody knows at the moment.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

13. Member
    Just took delivery of RT188 with 115 Pro XS 4s and it came from factory with lazer II 20P. This motor/prop combo will surprise many people. Getting 50+ on gauge during break in trimmed (during my 1 minute wot).

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro Excess View Post
    Just took delivery of RT188 with 115 Pro XS 4s and it came from factory with lazer II 20P. This motor/prop combo will surprise many people. Getting 50+ on gauge during break in trimmed (during my 1 minute wot).
    Cant wait to hear numbers after break in with gps speeds. Did you get a setback plate or jackplate?

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro Excess View Post
    That is pretty sweet. We love pictures here

I would like to see pics of the boat also and some top speed numbers after break in.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

17. Member
    I will post more numbers as I get through break in. No setback or jackplate.

18. Member
    Pics soon! Very impressed with boat and motor combo.

19. Member
    The CT has the larger gear and case, but that's designed for the larger boats. Get the standard 2.07 gears and a X7 19"
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

20. Member
    I don't trust the factory analog speed gauges. My speedometer reads well into 60mph when I'm going 47 mph.
    2019 Skeeter ZX225

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast