12 Foot Talon Won't Deploy Past Second Stage

I just bought a set of used 12' Talons that work well and are very quiet....except one only extends to 8'. When I got the talons, I also received some "extra parts" that appear to be the clips that hold each stage in the retracted position. The previous owner said that if they won't deploy, it most likely means these clips need changed. Does anybody know of a video, or instructions on how to do this? I have searched and I can't find anything on it.

After the first two stages go down, it just stops and clicks like the other one does when it hits the bottom. When I retract the talon, the spike goes in smoothly, and then the second stage vibrates quite a bit when retracting (I notice this is in the laid down position, but didn't feel it on the water yesterday).

To be honest, I fish mostly in shallow places...so 12' is probably overkill anyway. I used them yesterday, and even with the one pole not working, absolutely loved them...however, I would like them both to work like they should.

Thanks for any help.

2. Member
    Sounds like the mechanical latch is stopping the 3rd stage from coming out. It could be broken or it may have debris in it and keeping it from working properly. The mechanical latch is inside the 3rd stage. You can see it in the opening on the bottom and side of the main extrusion. Deploy the talon and watch to see if it is actuating all the way when the second stage is fully extracted. If it is not then the third stage will not extract. Clean it out if it has debris.

Thanks...that is what it was. Once I loosened it up it deployed, and has deployed since. The guy I bought it from gave me extra latches and rivets and said if it jams up like that it might need replaced...I just can't find instructions on how to do that.

4. Member
    When third stage is deployed you will get a clearer view of the latch. All you need is a 1/8 punch to remove the pin that holds the latched and a 1/8 drill bit to drill the pop rivet out. That latch should not have to be replaced very often unless it is broken. Most of the time when it does not work it is because it has trash build up behind it. You might look at the plate that cover everything up on the bottom of the talon where all the stages come out. It could be bent. It is easy to replace. Drill the four pop rivets out of the third stage and it comes right off. There are 2 on the top and one on either side of the third stage. See diagram below it shows all the parts.

https://motors.johnsonoutdoors.com/P...ike_And_Cables

Thank you, after I loosened up that latch it seems to be working good now. I will make sure to keep that thing clean, and hopefully won't have to replace it.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzard05 View Post
    Thank you, after I loosened up that latch it seems to be working good now. I will make sure to keep that thing clean, and hopefully won't have to replace it.