Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Great Bass Book Read: High Percentage Fishing

Looking for a great paperback read (only 124 pages) on some truths about bass fishing (and relates to other species as well)? High Percentage Fishing by Josh Alwine (2016) separates the "Old Sayings from the Truth". Sometimes they cross, sometimes they don't. All his data is backed by data. I bought it via Amazon for about $15 ($13+ shipping).

His is research focused on the habits of big bass and includes research on:
    Weather ("Water temperature has a much more significant impact on catch rates than barometric pressure in most cases"), ("Sunny and partly cloudy conditions significantly outperformed...while overcast conditions underperformed")
    Moon Myths ....or not
    Fishing Pressure ("the single greatest casual factor influencing catch rates")
    When to Fish
    Where to Fish ("prime spots on many commercially available maps very often turn out to be great fishing spots")
    What to Fish With (Soft plastics account for nearly 75% of all Texas ShareLunkers caught") but don't sell your spinnerbaits & hard plastics.
    Bait Color ("When in doubt throw black")

The above provides a taste of what data is in this book but there is more.
    Kinda like Buck Perry's book on Spoonplugging....you get more out of it the more you re-read it.
    Hope you check it out....because it can make you a more successful fisherman.
    Harleytimes
    Triton SF21
    Honda 200hp

Thanks for the heads-up, been looking for another good bass fishing read that has been recently published. There are some good books out there for sure, but very little has been written recently.

I can vouch for the throw black ... from soft plastics to a Mann's Minus 1 that I spray painted solid black. It flat out works in all conditions day or night
    Ranting incoherently

4. Banned
    I've told my best friend several times that if I were to limit myself to a black trick worm and any way I wanted to rig it I'd probably have my best season ever.

Just ordered the book along with Infisherman 1 and 2...thnx for the tip,been wanting something new to read myself.

6. Member
    I'm the author, I'm glad you guys have enjoyed the book. If you have any questions I'd be happy to answer them on the thread or in a PM. Tight Lines!

-Josh

Quote Originally Posted by Jpurdue View Post
    I'm the author, I'm glad you guys have enjoyed the book. If you have any questions I'd be happy to answer them on the thread or in a PM. Tight Lines!
    -Josh
    Hi Josh. What is your background?

I'm about half way through...great book. Reinforced some things I'd always considered baloney in bass fishng. Open my eyes to some things I'd never really considered. Thanks for a good read Josh...

9. BBC SPONSOR
    Will have to check it out.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lund1625 View Post
    Hi Josh. What is your background?
    Professionally? Engineer, statistician, (Purdue), MBA (Marquette), I run a couple manufacturing plants in the South now. In terms of fishing I grew up in the midwest, spent a lot of time fishing Indiana/Wisconsin. I've been in Texas for a while now though. Primarily Freshwater, but I do a few salt water trips every year as well. The book is almost exclusively about Largemouth Bass fishing.

Wow that's cool of you to show up here. I hope you sell a lot of books but be aware there may be some members who buy it only to try and correct your grammar.
    You can lead a horticulture,
    but you can't make her think.

12. Member
    Just ordered one from Barnes and Noble. They have free shipping on $25 and a 20% off code on the website today.

13. Member
    I have read about half of it pretty good so far. I hear a lot about funnels and triangles for fish movement can you go more into what makes a good funnel
    thanks
    Jeremy From Indy
    2019 PolarKraft TX 195 Pro
    2019 Suzuki 200SS

14. Member
    I've sat down with John Hope before. He's the guy who coined the term funnel in regards to big bass. John will tell you that an ideal funnel will be as narrow as possible at it's end, in a perfect world it might not be any wider than a doorway entrance. Big bass (over 7lbs) will suspend over the first drop during the day and follow the funnels into their feeding grounds as sunset approaches. John studied over 50 fish over 7lbs for nearly 15 years on a variety of lakes (in Texas) and observed this behavior repeatedly. So, a good funnel will be as narrow as possible at its end, terminating in 8-10 feet of water ideally, with available structure/cover that holds prey fish such as weeds, timber, or rocks.

15. Member
    Ive read alot of John Hopes studies but it would still be helpful to see what an example of a funnel looks like. I believe I have an idea (opposite of a point?) but an illustration of an example would be helpful to me since I am a visual person.

16. Member

I pulled this image from TFF on the subject.. Is this correct? I would have just called this a creek channel.

17. Banned
    IL >Tinley Park & Shawnee N.F. Lakes Explorer. Help..
    I just ordered it from ebay.. Thanks

18. Member
    It's a funnel, but it is not a particularly great one. It's fairly wide, and it doesn't appear to terminate into anything that is likely to hold prey fish. I've got a lot of great examples of funnels, but most are on lakes I still fish a lot. I took a second here and tried to find a decent one on Fork for you. It's not the best example, but it's a little better. Note it's fairly narrow, and it terminates into some interesting structure/cover. There is an island, a point, a road bed, a couple little bays, and likely timber in the area. Add in some cabbage and this spot could be dynamite. Big fish are creatures of habit, they have small home ranges and they do basically the same things day in and day out. Funnels are just the "trail" that they take from their "bedrooms" to their "kitchens." Fishing a funnel is just a method to improve your odds of having your bait in the right spot at the right time. Not all that different then putting a deer stand next to a known trail.

Attached Images Attached Images

19. Member
    Just downloaded it from Amazon Kindle, thanks for the heads up!

20. Member
    I ordered the book through Kindle a couple weeks ago. Its a good read when I remember that its on my phone.

Hey Josh do you ever fish Sheldon Reservoir over by beltway 8 and 90?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast