Motor mounted to jack plate question

I just got my atlas 6" hyd jack plate installed on my ranger 620 and got it home from dealer, 3hrs away, I noticed we. I got home they didn't use any flat washers on the 4 bolts inside of the plate connecting motor to plate, I'm pretty sure they should have, will it be okay like this? Or should I get some washers and do it myself? Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

LETS FISH IT!!

2. Member
    Does Atlas have instructions?

I just installed my 10" Atlas. Flat washers must be used and if it is a Mercury, special hardened washers on engine side. Torque to 90 lbs/ft.

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash

North End of Beautiful Norfork Lake...MO/AR Border
    You might have a tough time putting a washer there, looks like the bolt hole is to close to the radius, I guess you could grind off some of the washer

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rangerbobber View Post
    You might have a tough time putting a washer there, looks like the bolt hole is to close to the radius, I guess you could grind off some of the washer
    No, there's plenty of room for washers, looked at some pics of my old boat with same plate had washers, just looked at my buddies boat has washers, I guess the tech didn't feel like going to find some.

LETS FISH IT!!

6. Member
    yes should have the hardend washers that mercury supplies with the bolt kit very sloppy work thats why i always say want something done right do it yourself

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger z520 View Post
    yes should have the hardend washers that mercury supplies with the bolt kit very sloppy work thats why i always say want something done right do it yourself
    You got that right, I also noticed on the inside of the jackplate where the jackplate is mounted to the transom, the bottom bolts, there's 2 bolts on each side, instead of using the right size washers there, he used washers that were too big and overlapped the other washers and tightened down so they don't sit flush!! I guess I will do it myself and make it right.

LETS FISH IT!!

8. Banned
    SB, I would call them and see if they can at least help out some. Maybe supply the correct washers all around. Be polite when you call, and explain your understanding of the install. I'm not saying that you need to tow back down there, but they should provide the correct washers etc

9. Member
    Will do, thanks guys.

LETS FISH IT!!

10. Member
    So i have a few more questions, I'm going to call dealer tomorrow and get correct washers that i need and i probably need longer bottom bolts and i should tell them i want my 200$ back for redoing there work., Should i change out this big washer that overlaps the other washer, as it doesn't sit flush on the plate, these are the transom bolts so i don't want to break the seal..

Also, what is the correct way to mount the ranger cover bracket on the bolts with a verado? I have to put a washer on the other side so this bolt will be too short the way it is with the bracket, the dealer put a washer in between the bracket and motor then just used the locknut over the bracket to torque it down but the bracket sits in there at a angle do to the recessed slots not the right way i don't believe, My plan was to put the washer on the other side, get 1" longer bolts, put the washer in the slot then then the locknut, then the bracket then another nut, the only problem is that when the verado is fully turned it already is hitting the bolt. so whats the correct way? thanks for the help.

LETS FISH IT!!

Deleted, I'm tired,lol
    Last edited by bass-action; 04-24-2016 at 05:36 PM.
    2016 BassCat Cougar FTD

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger z520 View Post
    Yes with out a doubt you need those washers, they come with a jack plate bolt kit that Ranger uses, just got my demo in and the bolts, washers and nuts r all there for me to install my G2.

Sorry looking at the wrong bolt. Should have looked closer. But I don't think the bracket for the cover is right.the way you said you want to do it is the way mine is.
    2016 BassCat Cougar FTD

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bass-action View Post
    Was this the techs first day working on boats? Those bolts are too short! That Ranger cover bracket is not right! Those bolts should be long enough to install washer and nut,then bracket with another nut. The other bolts,the nylon is barely on there. I would be upset with that install and would definitely be looking on the inside of transom to make sure that is correct and hopefully sealed.
    must have been first day my luck I guess, that's what I was planning on doing with the cover bracket and longer bolts, but , the motor hydraulic cylinder already is hitting the nut/bolt at full turn.
    Last edited by Sundby; 04-24-2016 at 05:50 PM.

LETS FISH IT!!

15. Member
    I'm sorry, but that is the sloppiest install I have seen. This was a Ranger dealer that did this project for you? That workmanship can't be tolerated, at all!! I would demand a significant refund and they re-do the job CORRECTLY!!! But, if you do the work yourself, remember that the bolts, nuts and washers need to be stainless steel!!

Jo

16. Member
    Yeah, ranger dealer, only 2 in the state of ND, Both are 300 miles away. I will re do it myself and let them know my disappointment, don't want to haul back there, I just need the correct parts.

LETS FISH IT!!