Triton 189 dcf 03'gas tank question...main & aux

I picked up a Triton walleye boat with only 49.3 hours on her 200 optimax w only .2 hours overs 4000 rpm and not a mark on the boat or trailer. The carpet still looks new it! It has ray marine electronics, sirius weather with radar and the dealer put in 3 new interstates the morning I picker er' up. The ole' boy that had it just never used it.

It has a switch for main or aux tanks, but I don't see where the gas gauge itself would switch to the aux tank. I haven't had her out on the water, maybe it changes and reads either tank that the manual switch is moved to, but seems unlikely as it is just a ball handle.
    Does anyone have any experience with this fuel system?

As well, should I put a 4 or 6" jack plate on it? I will be fishing Saginaw Bay for walleyes, a few bass tournaments, and even some salmon fishing out of Ludington after I get all of my Traxtech rod holders on it.

Thanks!
    Captn Doug
    Aboard The Walleye Xpress
    Xpress Fishing Charters, LLc
    Angler Qwest 826 ProTroll w 250 Suzuki
    2014 Ranger 621 Yamaha 300 and 9.9

2. Member
    There is no sending unit in the small tank. That tank is meant for a gas kicker motor. How ever i use the small tank in my 205 as a reserve. I put 5 gal. in and have it just in case i should run low in the big tank. I also have a Merc. smart craft gauge that shows how much gas i have used. I removed the gas gauge and installed the smart craft gauge in its place. Wiredog

3. Member
    Thanks Dog! Was the smartcraft gauge a direct replacement?
    Captn Doug

4. Member
    Yes it fit right in the hole for the gas gauge. It also gives you more info. such as water temp and water pressure, rpms, gal. of gas used, gal. per hour of gas used, and more. Oh and i have an 8 inch jack plate. If i was to do over i would go with a 6 inch. Wiredog

5. Member
    Great WDog, that was going to be my next question...what about a plate? I've set up many bass boats and traveled all over doing it. I enjoy getting the most out of performance within reason. That'll be my next move. In the mean time I may try to look for a smart gauge for an 03 200 opti.
    Thanks again! Tite lines!
    Captn Doug

6. Member
    Sorry i did`nt get back here sooner, i think i payed a little over $200 for the monitor and the cable that gos to the motor. that was for new ones. Got mine from Sherms Marine but i`m sure that Don on the Merc. board can help you out. Wiredog