Honda Recon for kids?

I'm planning to get a quad for me and am probably going to get my kids a quad also. Does anyone have any experience with the Honda Recon? When I was a kid, I rode a Kawasaki Bayou 220 and it was as tough and dependable as anything I've had...too bad they don't make them anymore. I was thinking about the recon as it seems to be a similar setup and should last forever.

I think the recon would be a great quad. I've got a rancher and it's been awesome. Honda atvs are solid but their recon is especially bulletproof because of its simplicity. Probably the closest thing to the old bulletproof 300 that they used to make.

3. Member
    The recon is a great bike. If you don't want the racks on it you can get them the 250ex. It is basically the same bike without racks. The only negative I've seen from the recon or 250ex is that they are really cold natured.

4. Member
    We got a Honda Recon for my son and he loved it, as he has outgrown it now. Ramboc statement is correct, it's almost bullet proof. Ours has been to the ATV trails many times and has been an great all around purchase for him. Good luck.

5. Member
    Thanks for the feedback! I think as soon as we get our shop finished, I'm gonna pull the trigger on a new Recon

6. Banned
    One of the best little quads out there! VERY VERY bullet proof!!!
    I've owned around 30 quads, including a half dozen or so Recon 250's. They are GREAT quads!
    The ES (electric shift) is kind of nice for a kid.

7. T Dub
    Exactly what I will buy for my little girl when she's old enough

8. Member
    Just make sure your kids wear safety equipment, especially a helmet.

9. Member
    Kymco Mongoose 250

I bought my 9 year old daughter this one https://www.kidsatvsale.com/power-wh...-thing-review/ this summer. Fully automatic, seems built really well, and very comfortable to ride. It is by no means a tearem up wheelie riding quad, I can't make it pop a wheelie. New price isn't much cheaper then a Honda but used price is good. Heck I took it to Little Sahara a few weeks ago and rode it around following all the kids without paddles and it climbed everything they did with my lard butt on it.

I sold my daughters LT80 to get this she was just getting to big for it.
    Last edited by paiujw; 10-15-2018 at 05:37 AM.

10. Member
    Would not get the Electric shift. Have seen a bunch of them go out. Knowing kids, it will be around at least some mud and water, once it gets in that box it is nothing but trouble. Other than that you can’t beat the bullet proof of a manual shift plus the new ones are so easy any one can operate it.

11. Banned
    The Recon is great, quite a bit better than the 220 Bayou you had, and just as tough.