Ranger Trail bunks

I just redid the bunks on my Ranger 2014 z521c and noticed the boat sits in the center bunks and makes contact only on the port 6 ft bunk there is a 3/8 gap on the starboard side and its not the way the boat is loaded its on most Ranger trailers just nobody notices, I have checked with carpeted bunks and with plain 2x6 don't matter I was told just the center bunks support the boat and the outer ones are just for a guide, I have never had a boat that doesn't sit on all bunks for support, trust and believe its true and I not the first to figure this out, its just not talked about much I have measured the wood and explored every scenario, its just the way it is and when you have carpet its thick and soft so you wont notice it but its there, shimming the bunk boards corrected the issue for me. that's the hull truth.

2. Member
    My 13 520c is the same way. So far no problems.
    Gun Control..... Is hitting your target every time

3. Member
    I installed gatorbaks and that's how I found the issue it's not the bunk covers either as they. Are consistent.

4. Member
    I installed gatorbaks on my 2008 and it is the same way. I just crank down the starboard side first and then the port, no issues yet. Only solution that I know of would be to shim the starboard side between the bunk and bracket to get it to mate with the hull.

5. Member
    That's exactly what I did I used a 3/8 thick plastic cutting board and a compound miter saw works well

6. Member
    Ttt

You guys don't have enough to do in your lives.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

8. Member
    Amen!
    1997 Ranger 482vs
    2013 150HO Etec
    Bassmaster Classic Edition

9. Member
    Guess if all I ever did was tow to the lake and use my boat I would never notice when things are bad till it is catastrophic, I maintain everything and take care of my equipment so I don't have any break downs or problems which keep me from doing what I so much enjoy. I don't have to count on a stealership to BS me about the repairs that can be prevented by simple maintenance and I for one will not get those dreaded blister which cost $4500.00 out of my pocket, if you ever replace your bunks you might find something you don't want to see or expect, so for all reading protect your investment and don't be one of the people stuck on the road broken down or on the water, preventative maintenance will add a sense of security and piece of mind. My old Triton 2002 TR 21 had zero mechanical or electrical or trailer problems for 13 yrs and I ran it like a scalded dog.

10. Member
    So are you trying to say that if you install gatorbaks that you should put a 3/8 inch shim on the side bunks so that the bunks touch the boat?

Quote Originally Posted by TopgunZ521C View Post
    I just redid the bunks on my Ranger 2014 z521c and noticed the boat sits in the center bunks and makes contact only on the port 6 ft bunk there is a 3/8 gap on the starboard side and its not the way the boat is loaded its on most Ranger trailers just nobody notices, I have checked with carpeted bunks and with plain 2x6 don't matter I was told just the center bunks support the boat and the outer ones are just for a guide, I have never had a boat that doesn't sit on all bunks for support, trust and believe its true and I not the first to figure this out, its just not talked about much I have measured the wood and explored every scenario, its just the way it is and when you have carpet its thick and soft so you wont notice it but its there, shimming the bunk boards corrected the issue for me. that's the hull truth.

11. Member
    Ranger has sent me bunk brackets that will give 1/4 inch adjustments they have 2 holes in the brackets for adjusting the height of the bunks on the 6 ft outer bunks, if they are not touching the hull this is their fix. If you were to remove the carpet off the bunks and never remove the bunks, and place the boat back on the wood bunks you will see that only one side will make contact with the hull, this is why shims will make the correction in the contact of the hull. I have never owned a trailer that supported a hull only on the center bunks, the outer bunks always support the hull as well to evenly distribute hull support. This post is just to help anybody who has experienced the same issue, my trailer loads great now and the load weight is evenly distributed on all bunks. If you have carpet you'll never see the difference cause carpet hides the issue as its thick, and there are many others besides myself who know of this issue, so yes shims will cure the issue and correct the contact to the hull. Hope this helps anyone who finds this issue in the future.

12. Member
    My Ranger 361 dits high on the port side and lower on the driver side so do I shim it when I get ready to replace the bunk carpet?

My 14 trailer was same way on a 621. Somebody messed up bad back then. New bunk brackets take car of it.