Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cwilt View Post
    On page 1 post #5 i showed a pic that the tower/winch is 2 inches away from the swing away so there is no way for me to move it forward.
    As I said, it will require a welder. The winch stand will need to be modified. After you install the Talon, figure out where the boat needs to be ( how much more forward ) to get the correct tongue weight. Once you figure out where the boat needs to be, a half way decent fabricator can figure out how to modify the winch stand for you.
    2003 520VX 225 Optimax

2. Member
    OK, I went and looked, and I have the same winch tower, and it is adjustable. The tower is 2 part. The bottom section bolts to the trailer, and the top has the winch on it. They are joined at the 45 degree plates where they meet. The top section has 3 drilled holes, but the bottom section has 12 drilled holes for adjustment. On yours the 2 are connected with bolts through the top and bottom holes of the top section. You need to remove those bolts and slide the top section up several holes and replace the bolts. You will have to use the middle hole, and the bottom hole of the top section. Moving the top section up several holes will move the bumper roller forward, but it will also move it up some (because of the 45 degree angle). If that creates a problem - making the bumper hit the boat too high, them you can remove the bump/stop roller, and re-drill it so it connects lower. You may have to cut away the excess on the arms that mount the bump stop roller, but that's all the modification that would be needed. All of this can be done with a socket set, ratchet - open end wrench to back it up, and possibly a drill with a 3/8" bit, and hack saw. Should take 30 minutes at most. As a word of caution - don't try to pull the boat forward on the trailer dry with the winch. Probably won't do it, and may break out your bow eye. It needs to be floated. By the way, I still recommend putting weight on the front deck and pulling it to check if that cures the problem before you do anything. Hope this helps.
    Bryan O' Z521-250ProXS V8
    Total Recreation Products Inc.
    Commercial Park and Playground Equipment
    totalrecreation.net

Thanks Bryan. Thats what i did last weekend, i first cut the bow roller support down 2 inches. Then drilled a hole for the bolt and reinstalled the bow roller/support. Next i raised the top section up to almost the last position and installed both bolts. Brought the boat to a local pond and drove it onto the trailer. I gained approximately 3.5 inches forward. Then took it on the highway for a test and got to 70 again with no sway. I did not want to modify it but i really had no choice, it was pretty dangerous. Thanks for the help.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

Ok gents, need a little advice on what to do. Went to lake kissimmee (4hr drive) this weekend and the trailer is now swaying above 60 mph. It started this after i put a 6 inch jack plate on. Also as other vehicles pass me the wind sway is very evident. The bow winch support is not adjustable. I know i shifted the weight aft. What are my options?
    need to move boat forwards, get the weight more on hitch, too much on rear

5. Member
    If the boat is already as far forward as it will go then it sounds like the tongue is too high. The boat trailer should be completely level when mounted to the vehicle.
    2004 Ranger 521vx Yamaha 250 SHO

6. Member
    It sounds like the OP solved the problem so this is just for my own education.

Could tractor weights right in the triangle where the two sides of the trailer join have maybe solved this issue?

Quote Originally Posted by fishinFamily View Post

Could tractor weights right in the triangle where the two sides of the trailer join have maybe solved this issue?
    Depends on the weight of them. He probably needed 100 pounds or so
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

8. Member
    Hmmm. I think that would work then. I think you can get a suitcase weight that's 100 lbs or more. Then you just have to figure out how to attach it.

9. Member
    image.jpg

Sway control hitch??
    2022 Skeeter ZX150 Color Option 2

Modifying the front bow roller worked awesome. Drove (2 hours) to Okeechobee today and had it up to 70 for most of the trip...moving the boat 3.5 inches on the trailer fixed the problem. Seems better now than before i added all the weight on the back. Glad i had the talon was blowing around 20 mph on the lake today.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

11. Member
    Thanks Bryan. Thats what i did last weekend, i first cut the bow roller support down 2 inches. Then drilled a hole for the bolt and reinstalled the bow roller/support. Next i raised the top section up to almost the last position and installed both bolts. Brought the boat to a local pond and drove it onto the trailer. I gained approximately 3.5 inches forward. Then took it on the highway for a test and got to 70 again with no sway. I did not want to modify it but i really had no choice, it was pretty dangerous. Thanks for the help.
    Good job! Tongue weight was what you needed, and you got it done.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fishinFamily View Post

Buddy did that to his Bullet trailer.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123