Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Curious why my Opti hardly uses any oil....

2001 Opti 200
    OT483270

Came with used 19' Triton I purchased three years ago. Not used much first two years. Perhaps 150 miles per GPS the first two years. Retired....used quite a bit last year....around 350 gps miles.

I don't remember but I doubt the oil reservoir was completely full three years ago. After the use noted above, the reservoir is still half full. I've seen several threads here where folks are talking about using oil by the gallons.

Is this normal? If not, should I be concerned about something? Motor starts up first crank every Spring and runs well every time out.

2. BBC SPONSOR
    Sounds normal....350 miles a year isn't all that much.

I run 6-8,000 miles per year and burn a decent amount of oil but not as much as you would think.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

3. Member
    Thanks....lol....6,000-8,000 miles. I think I could spend every waking moment from April to November on the water and I wouldn't come close to that.

4. Member
    Also, keep in mind oil consumption is directly related to fuel consumed and Optimax engines are at least 30% more fuel efficient than non-Optis. Run your Opti at or near WOT and you'll see some oil consumption.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

5. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by rickjs View Post
    Thanks....lol....6,000-8,000 miles. I think I could spend every waking moment from April to November on the water and I wouldn't come close to that.
    The joys of fishing a river system
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

Yep sounds about right. I'm like Tim, I live on the Ohio River and have ran over 100 miles in a day. Before you forget, I'd go ahead and top it back off before it gets too low and causes problems with the pick up drawing air. That can happen going over waves etc...if it gets to or below 1/3 tank.

Charlie
    /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.htc.sense.browser/files/TMP

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    Also, keep in mind oil consumption is directly related to fuel consumed and Optimax engines are at least 30% more fuel efficient than non-Optis. Run your Opti at or near WOT and you'll see some oil consumption.
    Oil consumption is not AT ALL related to fuel consumed. Oil and fuel do not mix, and there is no "ratio" program.

Oil delivery is based on engine RPM and load, combined with throttle position. One other variable is how fast the throttle is advanced (a sudden snap of the throttle delivers a "50-shot" oil pump count... anticipating WOT will be the target).

So it's entirely possible to have one guy that runs a fair amount of low-to-mid RPM's, and operates conservatively (and another that is Mr. Happy Foot and like to make mid or high RPM runs) use CONSIDERABLY different amounts of oil.

Especially the "Mr. Happy Foot" variable.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Deleted...
    Last edited by chasesfish; 11-10-2017 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Wanted reply with quote

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Oil consumption is not AT ALL related to fuel consumed. Oil and fuel do not mix, and there is no "ratio" program.

Oil delivery is based on engine RPM and load, combined with throttle position. One other variable is how fast the throttle is advanced (a sudden snap of the throttle delivers a "50-shot" oil pump count... anticipating WOT will be the target).

So it's entirely possible to have one guy that runs a fair amount of low-to-mid RPM's, and operates conservatively (and another that is Mr. Happy Foot and like to make mid or high RPM runs) use CONSIDERABLY different amounts of oil.

Don I have a new Mercury 200 ProXS S/N 2B523195 and now have 25 hours on it. Believe it or not, I have run 4.5 gallons of Optimaxoil in it so far! I have been having issues since it was broken in. It won't stay running when first started up in the morning. It runs rough, the plugs are fouling etc. My question to you is "does this seem to be extreme oil use for 25 hours"? I have a friend who says his new 250 ProXS has burned 1.5 gallons of oil in 35 hours of operation.
    I have had the motor in for this problem constantly since new and the Merc technicians are not able to diagnose the problem so far. I just realized the oilconsumption problem and have not mentioned it to them before but am scheduled to bring it again and will discuss this with them. I would appreciate your opinion on this amount of oil being consumed in 25 hours. The ECM controls this so do you think this is ECM related?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Powell View Post
    Sounds normal....350 miles a year isn't all that much.

I run 6-8,000 miles per year and burn a decent amount of oil but not as much as you would think.
    You beast you lol. 8,000 miles..

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chasesfish View Post
    Don I have a new Mercury 200 ProXS S/N 2B523195 and now have 25 hours on it. Believe it or not, I have run 4.5 gallons of Optimaxoil in it so far! I have been having issues since it was broken in. It won't stay running when first started up in the morning. It runs rough, the plugs are fouling etc. My question to you is "does this seem to be extreme oil use for 25 hours"? I have a friend who says his new 250 ProXS has burned 1.5 gallons of oil in 35 hours of operation.
    I have had the motor in for this problem constantly since new and the Merc technicians are not able to diagnose the problem so far. I just realized the oilconsumption problem and have not mentioned it to them before but am scheduled to bring it again and will discuss this with them. I would appreciate your opinion on this amount of oil being consumed in 25 hours. The ECM controls this so do you think this is ECM related?
    Your motor will use DOUBLE OIL, until the Break-in clock expires. The Break-In period will be extended IF the ECM does NOT see the Proper RPM and Load. Your should have the Dealer verify with a CDS that the Break-In clock has indeed expired. If the clock has expired you should NOW monitor your oil usage from this point on.

Your oil usage, does NOT compare Apples to Apples with your "friend" with the 250 ProXS.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Your motor will use DOUBLE OIL, until the Break-in clock expires. The Break-In period will be extended IF the ECM does NOT see the Proper RPM and Load. Your should have the Dealer verify with a CDS that the Break-In clock has indeed expired. If the clock has expired you should NOW monitor your oil usage from this point on.

Your oil usage, does NOT compare Apples to Apples with your "friend" with the 250 ProXS.
    It's been in for repairs 6 times now with new fuel rails, plugs etc. If the technicians have not determined that by now, that would surprise me. I broke it in "exactly" like the book said to so I don't know if the clock has expired or not. I'll have them check that for sure. How many hours would have to go by before that "clock" expires?

13. Member
    4 hrs. IF the correct parameters are met. IF the correct parameters were not met, then the clock won't expire.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    4 hrs. IF the correct parameters are met. IF the correct parameters were not met, then the clock won't expire.
    Savage I just thought about this subject and realized something. I have a Mercury Monitor w/level 2 software so I had an "alarm" the entire time the engine was in break-in. When I checked the alarm it said "engine break in".
    After the 4 hours were up, this alarm went away so I guess that answers the question about whether it should be double oiling. I'll provide update when I bring it in.

15. Member
    So then you can NOT include the amount of oil used, during your Break-In period, (a figure that you don't know) when making the assumption that your motor is possibly using a "extreme" amount of oil for the first 25 hours.

You need to note the current hours NOW, then use exactly one gallon of oil, then record the hour reading again, to see the TRUE amount of oil being used in a given number of hours.

16. Member
    This thread is providing some reassurance....I have a 2015 225 Pro XS with a jet pump. It got to the point where I ran the engine in the driveway and removed the cap from the engine-mounted oil tank. After a minute or so, sure enough, it overflowed and I put the cap back on.

17. Member
    I have a 16' Pro XS and it guzzles the oil. I ran 13 gallons through it this year and probably only 6-7 tanks of gas. It's a pig. My buddy throws one gallon in his every 1-2 months.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eatmywake View Post
    I have a 16' Pro XS and it guzzles the oil. I ran 13 gallons through it this year and probably only 6-7 tanks of gas. It's a pig. My buddy throws one gallon in his every 1-2 months.
    This proves nothing.....two different boats, with two different operators.

I have a new to me Basscat Cougar with a 2016 250 ProXS and I keep checking the oil tank to refill. It seems to use way less oil than my previous boat that was a Basscat Pantera with a 2010 200 ProXS. Both run fine and I have no reason to worry. If it has lasted this long, it is normal for your engine ans the way you drive.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

I'm HAPPY most of the time....as mine uses a CONSIDERABLE amount of oil.
    However the results of to much oil vs not enough could be CONSIDERABLY different..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast