Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Mercury 150 4 stroke motor support other than motor tote to the trailer roller

Has anyone actually found a motor support device that will work with the 150 4 stroke. Someone suggested a my wedge, but the motor has a single ram trim system with no way to attache the my wedge. Thanks.

2. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    Old school transom saver for me.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

As far as I can determine the old transom saver is the only design that will work on the new Merc 4 strokes at this time.

4. Member
    The universal M-ywedge will work it snaps over the single ram and you wont wear the paint off your lower unit.

Quote Originally Posted by saltonman View Post
    The universal M-ywedge will work it snaps over the single ram and you wont wear the paint off your lower unit.
    Thanks, that is what I was looking for.

6. Member
    http://www.m-ywedge.com/instructions.htm

Attached Images Attached Images
    Egret Moccasin 210 Mercury 225

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Be very careful with using that type of device. There is a potential of seal damage.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

It also does nothing to stabilize the engines left to right movement against the steering.

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Be very careful with using that type of device. There is a potential of seal damage.
    Yea i dont like the looks of that thing at all. Just asking for trouble and like skeeter said no way to lock the steering if you have cable steering say on the smaller 4 strokes.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

On hyd steering you have to use steering clips, as you do on many other systems. Motormate is about the only one that is rock solid and does not require steering clips. On my particular boat, a traditional motor toter will be really long, and will probably require steering clips also. A long motor toter is like putting drum brakes on a new Corvette, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Don, can you explain further about the potential for seal damage? What would cause the damage with this type of device?

Thanks, just curious.
    Pat Leach

USAF MSgt Retired

1992 Procraft 180 Pro
    2016 Mercury 150 Four Stroke
    2018 Minn Kota Ulterra
    Helix 7 SI/GPS
    Helix 7 Sonar/GPS

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Any contact between the "device" and the sealing face of the ram can result in crushing or damage to the lips of the outer seal. Have also seen several that actually gouged the aluminum cap (distorting it to the point that a seal would not function, even when replaced).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Don,
    Thanks for the info, I'm looking for a replacement to the standard motor support since Motormate won't work on 4 stokes, and thought this might be the answer. Maybe not.
    Pat Leach

USAF MSgt Retired

1992 Procraft 180 Pro
    2018 Minn Kota Ulterra
    Helix 7 SI/GPS
    Helix 7 Sonar/GPS

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alabamaphoenix View Post
    Has anyone actually found a motor support device that will work with the 150 4 stroke. Someone suggested a my wedge, but the motor has a single ram trim system with no way to attache the my wedge. Thanks.
    Why not use what Mercury recommends for their motors?

Quote Originally Posted by Bsully View Post
    Why not use what Mercury recommends for their motors?
    And that would be?

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alabamaphoenix View Post
    And that would be?
    As of this time.... there is not much available to recommend (other than the old "stick arm v-block").

Wish I had more time... since I've got a suitable idea in mind (but no time to develop and test a prototype).

17. Member
    Is there any legit downsides to the traditional transom saver? I fail to see why that would be a valid option.

18. Member
    The problem with the old school stick arm supports is they mark the heck out of the lower unit and eventually wear through the paint.
    2015 Ranger Z118C w/150 Mercury 4s

Also, the transmit shock from the trailer straight to the transom via the motor. As tore up as the roads are here in Texas that is a bunch of shock. I don't know if it is truly an issue but it is a concern. I'm not worried about paint wearing off, I'll do that myself on the lake.
    Pat Leach

USAF MSgt Retired

1992 Procraft 180 Pro
    2018 Minn Kota Ulterra
    Helix 7 SI/GPS
    Helix 7 Sonar/GPS

20. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by texasbass1 View Post
    Also, the transmit shock from the trailer straight to the transom via the motor. As tore up as the roads are here in Texas that is a bunch of shock. I don't know if it is truly an issue but it is a concern. I'm not worried about paint wearing off, I'll do that myself on the lake.
    +1 on the shock being transferred.

If you get the chance sometime.... follow a buddy's boat that has one of those down a bumpy road, and watch how much the boat/engine move "independently" from the trailer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast