Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 201pro View Post
    I trim mine different than Finlander. Mark will tell you the same thing. My 201 needs to be trimmed really high at first, then once at speed, I bump the trim down a few bumps. It lets the hull get air under the hull and then it pops up on pad. You can feel it when it pops up and it gains a couple mph.

same on my hull, I start trimming when the boat starts moving
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

2. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Finlander View Post
    That sounds about right. The last few MPH tick up slowly. I would keep it a 50% trim until the boat reaches max speed then bump it for gains until you lose bite. That will mark your high trim angle and you could put a sliver of tape on the gauge as a reminder. Now you need to find some chop, the 201 will deliver more mph with a little more air under the hull and it can handle heavier chop than any other bass boat I've ever owned.

How many RPM at WOT?
    My ride is about the same. 5900 - 6000 rpm WOT

I trim mine different than Finlander. Mark will tell you the same thing. My 201 needs to be trimmed really high at first, then once at speed, I bump the trim down a few bumps. It lets the hull get air under the hull and then it pops up on pad. You can feel it when it pops up and it gains a couple mph.
    What do you mean by trim high? Not tucked in at take off??!!!

I filled the livewells and no go. Took out half the water and it was a go. I now put half plugs in the two of the open holes, and full plugs in the remaining two holes. Gonna try again at 2.5 ptp.
    Maple syrup... I put that sh*t on everything!
    '09 Stratos 201 XL EVO DC | 250 Pro XS | Razor 4 25P | 6" JP | 10' Talons Gen 2 | 112# Ultrex | Lowrance C12 x 4 | AT | '16 RAM Rebel

3. Member
    vent the prop for a full load good hole shot. you can always back off the throttle on a little on light load. cooler air coming will also make motor more powerful and need less venting.

trim high is after he is up on pad, he then backs motor down to a more forward thrust position. always fully tuck motor on take off
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Something to consider. A hole shot plate should help lift the hull during initial planing. Used to run a hydrafoil on my 90’s boats with good success. They would lift good but also dig causing boat to list until fin cleared the water. The hole shot plate wouldn’t have this problem.
    2012 Ranger Z519 Comanche - Merc. 225 Pro XS - 24 Razor 4 XL/25 Tempest Plus

5. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    vent the prop for a full load good hole shot. you can always back off the throttle on a little on light load. cooler air coming will also make motor more powerful and need less venting.

trim high is after he is up on pad, he then backs motor down to a more forward thrust position. always fully tuck motor on take off
    It's the venting that I'm having a problem with. Here is my set-up now:

Blade 1 Blade 2 Blade 3 Blade 4
    PVS 1 1/2 P 1/2 P
    PVS 2 1/2 1/2 P 1/2

PVS 1 – closest to LU
    PVS 2 – behind PVS 1

1/2 = plug with hole
    P = solid cap
    '09 Stratos 201 XL EVO DC | 250 Pro XS | Razor 4 25P | 6" JP | 10' Talons Gen 2 | 112# Ultrex | Lowrance C12 x 4 | AT | '16 RAM Rebel

Like I said before...Venting is problematic and may not deliver the optimum goods. Ideally the venting aerates the prop allowing more low end rpms then at speed the water pressure seals the vent but it doesn't always work perfectly, lots of tinkering. In order to make everything balanced you will ideally want each port to be equal on all blades which is hard to achieve.

If it where my EVO, I would plug them all and get my lift from a hole shot plate. Its a giant trim tab located under the jack plate and it delivers the goods. Saw some videos on a Stroker!

Talk to some of these guys.

Atlas Holeshot plate?
    Last edited by Finlander; 07-29-2019 at 02:58 PM.

7. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    Like I said before...Venting is problematic and may not deliver the optimum goods. Ideally the venting aerates the prop allowing more low end rpms then at speed the water pressure seals the vent but it doesn't always work perfectly, lots of tinkering. In order to make everything balanced you will ideally want each port to be equal on all blades which is hard to achieve.

If it where my EVO, I would plug them all and get my lift from a hole shot plate. Its a giant trim tab located under the jack plate and it delivers the goods. Saw some videos on a Stroker!

Talk to some of these guys.

Atlas Holeshot plate?
    I had an Atlas 8" HJP and plate on my 295... wish I had kept them.

I have a 6" Slide Master now. Gonna fab a plate.

8. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    Like I said before...Venting is problematic and may not deliver the optimum goods....
    You said it!

I had a chat with Mark yesterday and he told me to start here:

Blade 1 Blade 2 Blade 3 Blade 4
    PVS 1 O O O O
    PVS 2 P P P P

PVS 1 – closest to LU
    PVS 2 – behind PVS 1

O = open
    P = solid cap

We'll see how it goes.

(I'm still looking into an 8" Atlas HJP with HSP)

PS: move top row of table one column to the right

Thats right in the middle of the test band. Since its a 4 blade I would also be looking for blow out or cavitation during the turns. High bank turns, speed and trim variables not withstanding, I would expect to stay well hooked during these manouvers. If you feel any break at all it may be attributed to the open ports. It is not just the hole shot you need to be checking and I would pushing things to break loose so there will be no surprises later.

It ultimately comes done to owner satisfaction, when you are finally happy with it...go fishing!

10. Member
    Every boat is diff. Just go out and try it. Trim down, hammer it and see what the rpms do.
    Should spool up to around 3500 rpm. If too low, give it a little more venting. If too high, plug off a little
    more. It takes testing. If it blows out enough to loose grip as it falls over, needs less venting. Can’t just guess at it, you will just have to play with the plugs. It is all dependent on the load you have and how you pack it.
    I have had a little blowout right when it falls over on plane with every prop I have used besides a 4 blade and my Yamaha doesn’t seem to like a four blade. But just a quick feather and it’s fine. Or just let it slip and it catches back immediately.
    Since you have full and med plugs, you should be able to get really close with those 8 holes to shoot out of the hole.

11. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    Every boat is diff. Just go out and try it. Trim down, hammer it and see what the rpms do.
    Should spool up to around 3500 rpm. If too low, give it a little more venting. If too high, plug off a little
    more. It takes testing. If it blows out enough to loose grip as it falls over, needs less venting. Can’t just guess at it, you will just have to play with the plugs. It is all dependent on the load you have and how you pack it.
    I have had a little blowout right when it falls over on plane with every prop I have used besides a 4 blade and my Yamaha doesn’t seem to like a four blade. But just a quick feather and it’s fine. Or just let it slip and it catches back immediately.
    Since you have full and med plugs, you should be able to get really close with those 8 holes to shoot out of the hole.
    That's what was happening to me with the convoluted vent set up that I inherited from the previous owner. It worked great until I added weight, so I need to start over.

I'll be back!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12