Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Chatterbait/ Bladed Jig Rod

So it seems that the way to go is with some type of mod action with a good bit of backbone,

Whats everyone using?

I've been using a Hammer 7' Heavy and a Loomis IMX 853 JWR. I'd rather use the Hammer for the more Mod action but it usually has a bottom contact bait tied on so I use the Loomis a lot
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

3. Member
    Daiwa Zillion 7'2" MH Glass rod....Lots of power and good flex to keep them hooked up

Picked up a Kistler Helium III Light/Medium Heavy Fast 7' 3" casting rod. Has more flex than a traditional MH and should be a good blade bait rod.

5. Member
    I use an "old" Fenwick Fenglass rod, MTCF 70MH, 1/2-1 1/4oz. Nice tip with a lot of back bone.

6. Member
    Kistler KLX blades, buzz, & chatter

7. Member
    Falcon Bucoo trap caster works very well for me. Very rarely loose a fish.

8. Member
    Cashion (7'1 MH) Michael Neal Chatterbait rod.

9. Member
    G. Loomis NRX

I personally use the 843C NRX for bladed jigs. I will never get rid of this rod because it has everything you could possible want in a bladed jig rod: sensitivity, good backbone, and a medium soft tip. This rod is originally built for finesse flipping and pitching, but it works so well with bladed jigs. You really get what you pay for with these rods. So if you're willing to spend the extra cash, I promise you won't find a better rod for bladed jigs!

10. Member
    Depending on where I'm fishing and amount of cover, I've used anything from a Megabass Western Flip, Orochi XX Spinnerbait Special, Endurance 755, Max 703cb and Diesel 705cb. The main similarity on all these rods is a moderate to fast action.

11. Member
    Check out the ALX line, built in your home state. I use a Buzz7 http://www.alxrods.com/ikos/

12. Member
    Have you ever tried a composite rod? I have been using one for about two years now and its awesome i like Power Tackles composite it has a good back bone for throwing bladed jigs and spinnerbaits i was a little worried at first but it grow on me and it worked awesome for it

I'm surprised so many are using softer composite and glass crankbait type rods for this technique. I think of a chatterbait as just another type of spinnerbait. I like to throw them into cover and through reeds and such. I use an old nothing fancy BPS Extreme 7' medium heavy. The single hook bait has no problem staying buttoned up on the stiffer rod.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

14. Member
    Powell 734

The Megabass XX Diablo Spec R is an awesome vibrating jig rod, and just an awesome rod in general. It's extremely versatile, one of those rods you can pick up just about any "normal" bass fishing lure and fish effectively on it. I've fished jigs, t-rigs, lipless cranks, square bills, mid-depth cranks, top waters, spinner baits, buzz baits, vibrating jigs, senkos, and more all on this rod.

http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main...oducts_id=5397

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    The Megabass XX Diablo Spec R is an awesome vibrating jig rod, and just an awesome rod in general. It's extremely versatile, one of those rods you can pick up just about any "normal" bass fishing lure and fish effectively on it. I've fished jigs, t-rigs, lipless cranks, square bills, mid-depth cranks, top waters, spinner baits, buzz baits, vibrating jigs, senkos, and more all on this rod.

http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main...oducts_id=5397
    Gary,

would you describe the DSR as mod/fast or fast? Do you feel it maxes out around 3/4oz or could it push up to 1oz?

Also, did you ever fish the F5-72xrc Diablo that the Spec R was supposed to be based on? I've always wanted the F5-72xrc based off of some reviews and reports from Aaron Martens from several years back (plus I always liked the minimalistic look of the RC line) but it is very difficult to find. However, the RC line did not seem very popular and I have heard nothing but good things about the XX line.
    TIA

Hey Pat - it's definitely on the mod/fast side. Moving baits, one ounce isn't a problem at all. I've thrown the Megabass I-Jack on it and it handles it great. Yes, I had the XRC and loved the taper, but didn't like the blank at all. It was one of the few "dead" feeling Megabass blanks I've fished, so it didn't remain part of the collection. The XX Diablo Spec R took many of the same "ultimate versatility" characteristics of the old F5-72XRC and put them into what I consider a superior blank in the XX line. I don't think anyone would be disappointed in the XX Diablo Spec R who is looking for a super versatile medium heavy rod.

Quote Originally Posted by somerdink View Post
    Have you ever tried a composite rod? I have been using one for about two years now and its awesome i like Power Tackles composite it has a good back bone for throwing bladed jigs and spinnerbaits i was a little worried at first but it grow on me and it worked awesome for it
    I personally use a blended rod as well. Dobyns 765 glass. They are coming out with a 736 glass very soon as well. It is aimed at a bladed jig rod.

I like the blended due to the vibration transmitted on a full graphite is a bit extreme, and the blend allows you to use braid and still be able to have the fish take the bait without it pulling away. I saw Brett Hite mentioned this last year about fishing bladed jigs as well.

I do like the blend to keep fish buttoned up and control them without totally overpowering and ripping baits out. I also use the same rod to mid level cranks, 8-16'. I get plenty of feel with the blend, the fish kind of hook themselves really....just turn and reel. Rarely lose a fish on the 765glass or the 705glass. Plenty of power in the 765glass as well. Im sure the new 736glass will be a good one.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerFan View Post
    I'm surprised so many are using softer composite and glass crankbait type rods for this technique. I think of a chatterbait as just another type of spinnerbait. I like to throw them into cover and through reeds and such. I use an old nothing fancy BPS Extreme 7' medium heavy. The single hook bait has no problem staying buttoned up on the stiffer rod.
    I used to think exactly like you. After watching Brett Hites seminar I switched to a composite rod and haven't looked back

Quote Originally Posted by Jocephus View Post
    I used to think exactly like you. After watching Brett Hites seminar I switched to a composite rod and haven't looked back
    Where would one find this Brett Hite seminar you speak of?
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast