Thread: Peter Schiff

Peter Schiff

Anyone here watch his show, or read his book ?
    What are your opinions , thughts on his predicions ?

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    My thoughts in general are that people who really know what the market will do are going to be too busy to write books or make shows.

He totally whiffed on the market recovery this spring, so I expect him to be making excuses for that soon. IMO he mostly says the same things some economists are saying but with more drama.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    I had no idea who he is, but after looking at his books he seams to be a sky is falling kind of person. The sky is falling crowd gets it right now and then, but their timing has to be perfect.

What exactly are some of his predictions?
    Thanos was the hero

4. Member
    he predicted the 2006 -20011 depression long before any others. there is footage of foks on cnbc laughing at him. Art Laffer for one. He started a fund for investors to short the housing boom. The movie now out " The Big Short" is about him.

5. Member
    There were a lot of people that saw the housing bust coming. I worked in a law firm in Fort Lauderdale and I saw it coming in 2006 so we started a foreclosure practice during the boom. The problem with shorting the housing market like they did in the big short is you would need to have a lot of money to do it. They bought tons of credit default swaps and those cost a lot in premiums to hold so you are paying out cash while you wait for the event to occur. In addition most of the funds were likely private type funds that would have required you to be an accredited investor and to invest a large sum and keep it frozen in the fund with no exit for a period of time. It was a big risk they took and it paid off but most people do not have the means to make those type of investments. Even when they were proved right they almost never got paid because if the govt. hadn't of stepped in to bailout AIG and others, there would have been no assets to payoff these swaps.