250 pro verado setback

Hi, I have a 2014 ranger 620 with 250 pro verado #2b028186 I'm having a atlas hyd jackplate installed, ranger says don't go over 6" setback, would I benefit going with the 6" or 4", I didn't know if it was a good idea to put that verado back 6", let me know what to do!? Thanks for your help.

LETS FISH IT!!

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    There is right at 5" setback in the Verado mid (itself).

That means a 4" plate will result in 9" setback (approximately).

A 6" plate will result in 12" setback (approximately).

I agree with Ranger on this one... 4" would be sufficient, 6" MAX.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Ranger says go with 6", so 6 it is. Thanks

LETS FISH IT!!

4. Member
    After another call to ranger they now told me I could not go with a 6" they do not recommend it with the 250 verado, this is not what they told me before, I called my ranger dealer and they were not aware of this all the ranger 620s with verados they order and put jackplates on they order with 6". I'm Confused.

LETS FISH IT!!

5. Member
    In the 12 years the Verado has been out, the only boat (of any type) I have ever seen with a jackplate that wasn't 4" was a 210 Procraft that Bassboat Magazine setup for the comparison between it and the 250 XS and in that comparison they stacked a couple of different plates together to get the absolute best top end.

I would go with what Ranger says and not worry about it after that.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    There is right at 5" setback in the Verado mid (itself).

That means a 4" plate will result in 9" setback (approximately).

A 6" plate will result in 12" setback (approximately).

I agree with Ranger on this one... 4" would be sufficient, 6" MAX.
    See above.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor