Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Used boat purchase from dealer, motor blows first time out.....

!!!!!!!
    Last edited by jatkins1981; 04-23-2016 at 07:59 PM.

2. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Id be pissed! They could offer you a new motor at cost, or offer to rebuild for labor costs only.. I wouldnt let this go.

3. Member
    Sorry for your bad luck. No, you aren't out of line at all in my opinion for the following reason.

Once you contacted them about this situation and they indicated they would try and help they should have done just that.

If they weren't going to try and help they never should have made the offer at all.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jatkins1981 View Post
    I know there's no warranties on used boat purchases
    Game over. I do wish you the best, but this IS a possibility when buying used without a warranty.
    FYI, Progressive offers outboard coverage for such terrible events ... a rider on your marine policy.

5. Member
    I have insurance through progressive on the boat through worldwide , but my policy didn't say anything about coverage on the motor blowing?

6. Member
    The motor could have been rebuilt before the dealer took the boat in, and therefore would have no knowledge of the rebuild. It is unfortunate, but no blame for the issue is on the dealer i would think. Best of luck on the rebuild and hope you get to enjoy the new boat!
    Last edited by linesider 159; 04-03-2016 at 11:12 PM.
    2007 Sterling 22xs-Yamaha 250-Dual 10 foot blades-Ipilot-Bobs Jack plate-HDS 8 (SOLD)
    2016 Sterling 220XS: (SOLD)
    2008 SCB Topcat 250 XS (SOLD)
    Current:
    2014 SCB Stingray Sport Merc 300XS
    2018 ES Custom Revolution 25 Merc 400R

7. Member
    I really wasnt pissed about the situation , more so sick to my stomach, definitely wanted to puke, this is the nicest boat I've owned and was so excited about it and then pow!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by linesider 159 View Post
    You said yourself it was a used purchase. You also tested it to your liking. The motor could have been rebuilt before the dealer took the boat in, and therefore would have no knowledge of the rebuild. It is unfortunate, but no blame for the issue is on the dealer

not really blaming the dealer, just kinda bummed they didn't make an effort to do something, anything really, like they were avoiding me by not returning my calls or emails.

9. Banned
    Tough situation to be in but really what do you expect them to do for you...say I'm sorry?

10. Member
    I have insurance through progressive on the boat through worldwide , but my policy didn't say anything about coverage on the motor blowing?
    It is a rider (additional coverage) to a marine policy. Your agent should have recommended it to you.
    https://www.progressive.com/newsroom...opulsion-plus/

11. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    It is a rider (additional coverage) to a marine policy. Your agent should have recommended it to you.
    https://www.progressive.com/newsroom...opulsion-plus/
    That says it will pay for your lower unit. Not a blown motor.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

12. Member
    something similar happened to a buddy of mine and the dealer(who is a big sponsor on here) completely rebuilt the engine i think if he did have to pay anything it was just a couple of the parts replaced at cost no labor or anything. but they did take care of him!
    Murray State Alum
    2007 Champion 210 with all the toys

13. Member
    not really blaming the dealer, just kinda bummed they didn't make an effort to do something, anything really, like they were avoiding me by not returning my calls or emails.
    I understand, maybe stop by and just ask if they had further considered it? Assuming they are local of course. Hope it all gets sorted out for you. Nothing worse than getting your new boat and having an issue. Good luck!
    2007 Sterling 22xs-Yamaha 250-Dual 10 foot blades-Ipilot-Bobs Jack plate-HDS 8 (SOLD)
    2016 Sterling 220XS: (SOLD)
    2008 SCB Topcat 250 XS (SOLD)
    Current:
    2014 SCB Stingray Sport Merc 300XS
    2018 ES Custom Revolution 25 Merc 400R

14. JayMcCormack
    If it blew first time out I would expect them to be good to their word and help you out. I fully understand that a used boat with no warranty is buyer beware but.... first time out???

Every major auto dealer has a goodwill account that they use for situations like this, I would hope marine dealers do as well. I wouldn't expect a brand new motor or anything like that but would expect them to at least share in the costs to rebuild it. If they did it in house I would expect them to provide free labour and perhaps I would pay for (some of) the parts. Since you have had it fixed elsewhere I would think they could foot half the bill or at the very least provide a significant goodwill gesture (oil, parts, something else they stock that could benefit you) to somewhat offset your troubles.

Be calm, be reasonable (as you have) but also be persistent, a blown engine the first time out is not right or just bad luck.

15. Member
    I would make a stop and calmly have a discussion with the powers that be not necessarily about the motor but how you are being treated...Then get to the discussion of the motor and see if they will do anything for you.

16. Member
    Go there in person and speak with them eye to eye.

17. Member
    There's blew and there's blew. Did it burn a piston or three or throw a rod or what? Is it propped properly, did it have a new water pump? It may have been worked on with parts out of spec in the opinion of your new best friend, but will it happen again? Cause and effect. I'm not a fan of fixing an outboard with a .010 piston mixed with standard used ones, but it's approved by some.
    What kind of motor, EFI, direct injected, carb's?

18. Member
    depending on year you could have gotten a 3rd party warranty.

good luck. i hope someone at that dealership puts effort in to help you out.

19. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    A lot of dealers will offer a 30 or 90 day warranty on used boats I'm assuming they did not. I know Brech's does on any used ones.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

20. Member
    I think you are being too kind not mentioning names. If they continue with the lack of return communication, in my opinion, that would warrant letting others know who they are? ( not sure BBC rules on this?) I would think they would be open to helping with this issue... if they are not even willing to discuss with you, you would be doing others a favor by letting us know who they are? I found in my years in the boat business things are not always as it seems when it comes to what customers publicly complain about. But if all things are as you say, I would feel like they should at least be willing to discuss and help out with this.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast