From bass boat to Pontoon?

Anyone done this? How is it? Maybe pontoon and small tin rig?

Love my pontoon but its for cruising, skiing, and having fun. The bass boat is for work. lol

I have a BassCat Sabre FTD, and just bought a 22' South Bay pontoon. Talk about a learning curve. Took a bit to learn to maneuver the pontoon after having driven smaller boats for years. For room and comfort you can't beat a pontoon. And we fish out of ours regularly.
    Installed a Deckhand 40 pontoon anchor system with a 30b anchor. Find a spot, drop anchor, and fish a while. It will work in interim until I get an Xi5 installed.
    That said, I'm planning on having a fishing kayak for the lakehouse so I can do some early morning/late evening fishing without having to deal with the pontoon.
    If you're planning to fish different lakes with cover I'd suggest a small rig in addition to the pontoon. They're not right for every fishing situation for sure.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

4. Member
    i bought a new Bennington 22 ft fishing pontoon right before i retired couple years ago, wireless trolling motor on the front, 2 fishing chairs in the front, 2 in the rear, added some rod holders for crappie fishing with the grandkids, added a Lowrance unit on the front, it has 3 livewells, and i use it just like a bassboat, but living on the lake makes it so easy, just walk out to the dock and get in it and go.

5. Member
    A small glass rig or a tin rig would be good. I have an 18ft barge and a 17ft bass boat

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    I have a BassCat Sabre FTD, and just bought a 22' South Bay pontoon. Talk about a learning curve. Took a bit to learn to maneuver the pontoon after having driven smaller boats for years. For room and comfort you can't beat a pontoon. And we fish out of ours regularly.
    Installed a Deckhand 40 pontoon anchor system with a 30b anchor. Find a spot, drop anchor, and fish a while. It will work in interim until I get an Xi5 installed.
    That said, I'm planning on having a fishing kayak for the lakehouse so I can do some early morning/late evening fishing without having to deal with the pontoon.
    If you're planning to fish different lakes with cover I'd suggest a small rig in addition to the pontoon. They're not right for every fishing situation for sure.
    I have a 22' G3 Fish & Cruise with an Xi5 (80lb/GPS/54") on it and its great, especially the anchor mode.
    2017 Nitro Z21, 300XS, 24p Fury and Bravo1 XS 26p & 27p, 12' Talons, Gen3 12's, SonicHub2, 3DScan and 112 Ultrex and Fortrex.
    2017 Ranger Reata 223F, Mercury 150 Four Stroke, HDS12 Gen3, TotalScan, and Xi5

Quote Originally Posted by texasfisher View Post
    I have a 22' G3 Fish & Cruise with an Xi5 (80lb/GPS/54") on it and its great, especially the anchor mode.
    Exactly the TM I want on my South Bay. May have to wait until next season. My wife likes to fish too. I figure it will work itself out when she realizes having a TM is much easier when you want wet a hook.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"