Jig & Hollow Bodied Frog Rod?

Narrowed it down to the new Dobyns DX 745C HP, or the Megabass Perfect Pitch. I have read good things about both the previous DX 745C and the Perfect Pitch (hoping new DX line will perform the same.) The only thing I did not see a lot of comment on, is how well the Perfect Pitch can cast jigs. Max jig will be 3/8 oz + trailer. Both handle hollow bodied frogs well from what I have read. Right now it is a toss up between the two and thought I would ask any users who may have used either or both of these rods their opinions, just to gather more info from experienced users before I made a decision either way. Thanks.

2. Banned
    Dont rule out the irod 704 or 754 genesis 2 rods. Very light, versatile and sensitive. You could also look at the air series for the type of money youre looking at.

3. Member
    I can't comment on the dx 745c hp, but it looks awesome and sounds like they've upgraded it over the previous dx. I have a perfect pitch for frogs/jigs and it casts both really well. It will cast 3/8 plus trailer just fine. I used to own a 743dx and wasn't crazy about the sensitivity, but I've read the new hp models are more sensitive. The xx line is plenty sensitive in my hands.

The perfect pitch was a good frog rod but was dead IMO as far as sensitivity goes for jigs. I honestly have to throw another hat in the ring with the 7' 3" Kistler KLX jig, creature and worm rod. By far the best jig rod I've owned. Will work perfectly as a frog rod this year as well. Also cheaper than the XX :)

The Perfect Pitch is very, very far from dead in my hands with regard to sensitivity. In fact, it's impressive how crisp that rod is considering the power it has. It's also a truly great frog rod. If you're looking to pull double duty for jigs and frogs, the XX is definitely hard to beat in it's price range.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    The Perfect Pitch is very, very far from dead in my hands with regard to sensitivity. In fact, it's impressive how crisp that rod is considering the power it has. It's also a truly great frog rod. If you're looking to pull double duty for jigs and frogs, the XX is definitely hard to beat in it's price range.
    What he said.

Just stating on an opinion based on my experiences...I encourage anyone who hasn't tried both to do so to form their own opinion too :)

Quote Originally Posted by fluke1987 View Post
    Just stating on an opinion based on my experiences...I encourage anyone who hasn't tried both to do so to form their own opinion too :)
    Same here

I have a DX745 and 744 and love them for jigs but for frogs I still prefer the Champion 736. FYI The new HPs are about .5 power more than the old DX.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meleagris1 View Post
    I have a DX745 and 744 and love them for jigs but for frogs I still prefer the Champion 736. FYI The new HPs are about .5 power more than the old DX.
    Spot on. I've owned both versions of the DX745 and it is the best rod I've used for jigs but when the frog bite is on I'm using my Champion 736c. It has a very different tip and action compared to the 745. I also use the 736 for a light pitchin stick with a lot of success.

11. Member
    To pull double duty like that for a jig and a frog rod. I have a perfect pitch xx for jigs and its a great rod. Havent used it for a frog rod though because for me its got too much of a moderate tip. I have not used a dobyns rod except for their crankbait rods and they are ok rods. In my opinion you should at least look at a Diawa Tatula Frog rod, I think its 7'4". . Its cheaper than the others mentioned and I must say is probably my favorite rod. For both pitching jigs and frogs. Hollow body and ribbits. One can be had for less that $150 and fishes like a much higher dollar rod. At least go find one and check it out.
    '06 Gambler 2100
    '06 Mercury Racing 250XS