Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
  1. Member
    Do u gotta do a oil prime after you change o ring also?

2. Member
    Yes.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Yes.
    Is there a procedure for this, or should a certified mechanic perform?

2018 LEGEND 211R | 250 MERC PROXS

4. Member
    Mercury Dealer, unless you have a Scan Tool for Mercury Optimax motors.

I made a half arse attempt to replace oring. Looking at Viceroy's post #49, the solenoid pin appears to just pull off. It was pretty tight and I didn't want to pry or scratch plunger pin with pliers. Is there a trick to separate plunger pin from pump body?

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash

6. Member
    07 250 Pro XS with 440 hours. I noticed recently when working on t stats, my pump is starting to weep just a bit out of the front over. Will probably do something with it this winter. Not a part I want to gamble with.

7. Member
    My motor info - 150 opti 1B044209 aprox 450-500 hours. No idea how long its been leaking but has been for quite some time seeing the mess in the cowlings I got

I saw a few oil pump posts reporting that the body of the brass tube portion cracked on their oil pump so I decided to pull mine apart... mine was leaking a bit but was going to leave it until it got worse until i saw those other posts.

After taking it all apart I can instantly tell the O ring was worn out... not due to deteriorating but it ends up being squished and ovaled causing it to eventually leak. I am guessing the o ring tends to oval out due to the pulse of the pin that pushes the plunger.

You have a basic O ring on a part that seals an area on a part that "vibrates" / technically moves" as the pin pushes and releases the plunger (pressure on and off o ring constantly). Over time its no wonder these pumps leak as the o ring looses its form and hardness.

I know there's pics already on here but figure ill post the ones i took anyways..

Im half temped to run a bead of sealant along the back casing however Im worried that doing so and holding the oil leaking past the o ring into the solenoid area may not be a good thing either.

This is the pin that im assuming pulses with the solenoid that works the plunger.

plunger

Solenoid ?

oil passage

The o so awesome O ring we all love
    Last edited by ride.race.live; 01-16-2019 at 08:06 AM.
    2004 Ranger Reata 180vs 8" rapid jack magnum CCM reeds 21P tempest plus- 2005 150 optimax 1B044209

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Silicone:

Don't forget there are seven (7) o-rings involved in that plunger as well.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    I fail to understand attempting to rebuild an oil pump on a high dollar boat motor that obviously isn't designed to be rebuilt in the first place, to each his own I guess. Reminds me of fellow Harley riders who have a $30,000 Harley and a $20 helmet. I have seen race car drivers on dirt with a $50,000 car and a $50.00 helmet but as I said to each his own. I believe in saving money, don't get me wrong but not in these respects. Sorry for the rant, cabin fever I guess.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Silicone:

Don't forget there are seven (7) o-rings involved in that plunger as well.

Yea Don, I wouldn't take the chance with the silicone.. ( i call it silicone but its engine sealant I use to mate engine case halves etc) the oil passages are way to small to risk it to that extent.

I did a inspection of those small 7 o rings. ofcourse you can only see so much visually.... they sit pretty freely around the plunger so they kind of "float" in place. abit of an odd design.

Flybynight...

I wouldnt buy a 20$ helmet... but I also woulnt buy a 800$ helmet when I can get one with the same safety ratings for $150....

These oil pump leaks is a money grab in a lot of ways... 700$ replacement due to a seal leaking is nuts. I get that the "piston" and solenoid are non serviceable but could be replaced separately mind you if one of those goes your in for a lot more then just an oil pump....

i know it was mentioned earlier on here... but if you have a leaking crank seal.. or an air leak somewhere else.. you dont go replacing the whole motor (unless it grenaded already) you would replace that seal / gasket... why should this oil pump be any different ?

You may say why risk it for the oil pump.... why risk it changing a crank seal? or any other seal.. if that seal leaks or is faulty guess what your going to be left with a pile of scrap too.. so at what point do you say is it worth just replacing the whole motor the second something goes wrong with a component...

Changing the o ring on the oil pump takes less time and is 20X easier then swapping reed's on this motor... these oil pumps are a VERY basic design too. the plunger is even "heart shaped" to prevent you from putting it back together wrong. The biggest thing you need to worry about is proper hose installation
    2004 Ranger Reata 180vs 8" rapid jack magnum CCM reeds 21P tempest plus- 2005 150 optimax 1B044209

Just got my new pump from Don for my 2015 250 ProXs. Sucks that I’m out of warranty by time frame. I only have 55hrs on it. I called Mercury about it sence it seems to be a none problem. Every last person I know with a ProXs has had a leaking oil pump. Mercury wouldn’t do anything at all to help me. I tried to get them to pay half and that was a joke then I asked if they could pay 1/4 and answer was still no. Kinda put a real sour taste in my mouth after being a loyal Mercury owner.
    2000 520vx Ranger
    250 PRO XS
    SERIAL#2B115788/ 25P Fury 4/ 25P Fury 3 blade

12. Member
    I bought a new oil pump and it leaked doing the oil prime.

No friggin way!!! Really??? At least you have 1 year warranty on it if you bought new from Mercury dealer and have your receipt

Quote Originally Posted by Rickp View Post

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketman6965 View Post
    No friggin way!!! Really??? At least you have 1 year warranty on it if you bought new from Mercury dealer and have your receipt

A LOT of people do tune ups / fixes on the off season (permitting its not a fix you need right away)... so by the time you go through 1 season of use.. the warranty is over.. and MOST people dont ever put that many hours on their main motor in a single season (depending on where you live and ofcourse how much you go out)

I did A LOT of digging through google etc and I can say that A LOT of these pumps do leak... not to mention I can imagine A LOT of people will NEVER notice it leaking unless they do their own servicing and notice that area being oily. Heck the only reason I noticed mine leaking was because I read about it on here and looked. Not the easiest thing to spot if your not looking for it. I could also guarantee even paying a dealership / service by a shop that oil pump wont be inspected unless there's a specific reason too (IE changing oil lines etc) After recent findings Don and others on here may end up doing a quick inspection knowing now that good few people do end up with leaking pumps... but yea

From what ive been reading there is still plenty of people that just decide to let it go on here as it just seems to be a common occurrence as more and more people are noticing a trend with this issue and checking it for themselves also good few people reported some pumps leaking new out of the box (not just Rickp from this post) and some leaking within a season etc.

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickp View Post
    Your dealer should take care of something like that- and it would be quite unusual.

Guys- we all know to check for oil leaks under the cowling. Those of us who service engines have been doing this for years (some of us for decades).

We've let this thread run it's course- those who wish to post on it need to take the time to review the Forum Announcements. If rants and tirades continue to be posted, we will bring the thread to a close.

Constructive and helpful is what we're looking for.
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 01-18-2019 at 05:04 PM.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

2000 520vx Ranger
    250 PRO XS
    SERIAL#2B115788/ 25P Fury 4/ 25P Fury 3 blade

17. Member
    I have an 06 225 optimax and plan on replacing the large o-ring with McMaster Carr # 5267T95. Has anyone been replacing the smaller plunger o-rings while the pump is apart?

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dougaka View Post
    I have an 06 225 optimax and plan on replacing the large o-ring with McMaster Carr # 5267T95. Has anyone been replacing the smaller plunger o-rings while the pump is apart?
    While some here have replaced o-rings, some with success, some unsuccessful, this is not a method that we support.

If you need further assistance, Please take a few moments to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Information when you open a separate post for your engine. Thanks!

I figured it out and changed oring on my 300XS 1E052618. I will post back results after a few outings. Usually run motor about an hour every Monday. I vary speeds from idle to over 85 but am mostly on my trolling motor fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketman6965 View Post
    I made a half arse attempt to replace oring. Looking at Viceroy's post #49, the solenoid pin appears to just pull off. It was pretty tight and I didn't want to pry or scratch plunger pin with pliers. Is there a trick to separate plunger pin from pump body?

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash

20. Member

O-Ring Specifications

Dear friend

I'm Brazilian and I don't have access to all the original parts for my engine, I have to order and wait to arrive.

I have the same problem, oil pump leaking and I will try to replace the o-ring.

Please inform me of the specifications of the o-ring you used (measurements) so that I can buy one from another manufacturer here in Brazil. If you used a Mercury o-ring, please also let me know the partnumber.

My engine: Optimax 135 HP model 1135D73HY

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ride.race.live View Post
    My motor info - 150 opti 1B044209 aprox 450-500 hours. No idea how long its been leaking but has been for quite some time seeing the mess in the cowlings I got

I saw a few oil pump posts reporting that the body of the brass tube portion cracked on their oil pump so I decided to pull mine apart... mine was leaking a bit but was going to leave it until it got worse until i saw those other posts.

After taking it all apart I can instantly tell the O ring was worn out... not due to deteriorating but it ends up being squished and ovaled causing it to eventually leak. I am guessing the o ring tends to oval out due to the pulse of the pin that pushes the plunger.

You have a basic O ring on a part that seals an area on a part that "vibrates" / technically moves" as the pin pushes and releases the plunger (pressure on and off o ring constantly). Over time its no wonder these pumps leak as the o ring looses its form and hardness.

I know there's pics already on here but figure ill post the ones i took anyways..

Im half temped to run a bead of sealant along the back casing however Im worried that doing so and holding the oil leaking past the o ring into the solenoid area may not be a good thing either.

The o so awesome O ring we all love

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast