Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mine has about 30 to 35 hours on it... Leaks about 2 or 3 drops from one of the 3 Allen headed bolts on the silver plate every 2 hours or so..I'm gonna take it off and see what's leaking
    2013 Pre-Johnny Ranger RT 178
    115 PRO XS
    Due to the increase of ammunition prices... There will be no warning shots
    Honda certified Master technician 33 Years

2. Member
    2009 - 228 hours. A few drops by the Allen head. Seems way too common and I would have never noticed it if I wasn't looking for something else...... My guess is that it had been doing it for a while and most of us don't even notice unless/until it is leaking enough to leave a slick or leak out from the lower cowling. Approx $675 for parts and labor.

A bit ridiculous that a new (very expensive) part is the only fix.....

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger RT View Post
    Man..i cant believe somebody hasn't took one off and disassembled it just to see whats up....
    I did. Just now.

There is only one seal that could cause leaking. It's a 3mm thick O-ring that sits in a groove with a 43mm external diameter, and a 35mm internal diameter.

I'll post the pictures shortly. There's no rocket science going on here. Just a solenoid that repeatedly reciprocated against a plate that has 7 shafts that pump the oil. The shafts themselves have o-rings installed into the tips that forms a check valve.

Unless the solenoid itself fails, I can't think of one good reason to replace the pump.

Quote Originally Posted by Viceroy View Post
    I did. Just now.

There is only one seal that could cause leaking. It's a 3mm thick O-ring that sits in a groove with a 43mm external diameter, and a 35mm internal diameter.

I'll post the pictures shortly. There's no rocket science going on here. Just a solenoid that repeatedly reciprocated against a plate that has 7 shafts that pump the oil. The shafts themselves have o-rings installed into the tips that forms a check valve.

Unless the solenoid itself fails, I can't think of one good reason to replace the pump.
    Yeah.. I put a o-ring in mine to... Been a while now and still no leaks
    115 PRO XS

5. Member
    My 2010 250xs at about 275 hours oil pump was replaced. Was leaking out the bottom :(
    21XRD Bullet, Mercury 250XS
    Helix 10 SI
    Helix 10 DI
    Helix 5 (GPS only)

20XRD Bullet, 2.4L Bridgeport Merc
    899ci HD SI
    859ci HD DI

6. BBC SPONSOR
    I have 87 hrs on mine. So far not leaks yet but I check everytime I have the cowl off.

7. Member
    I have a 2009 250 pro xs with 700 hours on it and it has been leaking oil at the oil pump cover since I do not know when. I first notice it at around 300 hours. Same as others have stated, drips at allen bolt heads on cover of pump. I talked to two different merc mechanics and both told me that more leak than don't. No offical sampling but it is clearly a very common issue but does not seem to really affect the operation of the engine. I am not losing enough to measure, but enough to cause the mid section to need cleaning periodically. I am not replacing a 500 dollar part with another one that is probably going to do the same. Merc needs to fix it though, and stop ingoring it.
    " If you are going to be stupid, you have got to be tough!"

8. Member
    I bought my 2007 225 ProXS with 106 hrs on it and the oil pump had already been replaced. Same reason. A drip on the bottom of pump.

9. Member

Thumbs Up

Here's the whole thing apart:

When you first open it up, here is the solenoid magnet:

Here is the other end, looking at the solenoid pin and pump body:

Once you remove the solenoid pin and plate, there's that pesky O-ring.

The groove that holds the O-ring, and the plunger plate back side.

The front of the plunger plate, with plungers, and plunger O-rings.

The pump body with the plungers removed:

There you have it. Just pop a few screws and replace ome O-ring, and your leaking oil pump problems are over.

10. Member
    Pics post is pending moderator approval right now.

11. Member
    '08 175 leaking now.

12. Member
    I feel like that's sketchy ground.

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Astyle954 View Post
    I feel like that's sketchy ground.
    I have to agree. While it might be tempting to replace one leaking o-ring, there are others that are likely deteriorated as well, and the potential of wear in the body, plunger, and then of course, the potential of improper assembly resulting in improper oil delivery.

I strongly discourage folks from attempting to travel this repair route. Replacing the pump with a new one is a wise decision.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

14. Member
    To each their own.

I've never replaced an entire component just because one seal was leaking, and every parts of the pump is ridiculously simple and easy to inspect and test with it apart.

I had another engine with a weeping crank seal. I replaced the seal, not the engine.

For those who want to drop hundreds instead of singles, Mercury will not be bashful to take your money.

For those who feel confident in their ability to inspect a cave-man simple pump, there's a good way to save hundreds of dollars.

15. Member
    Yes sir, no intent to say you were ignorant or carless to do so. I am pretty confident in my abilities as well. I just do not know enough about this particular component and do not know exactly why it is recommended to replace rather than rebuild. I just know that such a vital pump as this will be replaced in Greenville at European marine if the unfortunate event were to occur.

Quote Originally Posted by Viceroy View Post
    To each their own.

I've never replaced an entire component just because one seal was leaking, and every parts of the pump is ridiculously simple and easy to inspect and test with it apart.

I had another engine with a weeping crank seal. I replaced the seal, not the engine.

For those who want to drop hundreds instead of singles, Mercury will not be bashful to take your money.

For those who feel confident in their ability to inspect a cave-man simple pump, there's a good way to save hundreds of dollars.
    nice pics of the repair.. A lot of good info
    115 PRO XS

17. Member
    Yes,2009 250 Pro XS 451 been leaking for six months. Same area lower right lobe of solenoid area.

18. Banned
    could not be easer and more straight forward repair.

19. Member
    Has anyone completed this repair, o-ring only?? and how many hours do you have since and any leaks?
    ’13 21 HP, 250 ProXS, 10” Atlas, twin Power Poles, 25p Croxtonized Tempest, 2 1/2 PTP, 1/2 tank fuel, driver, all gear, empty wells, 74.7 in 102 deg heat.

20. Member
    yes, 2008 ,225 replaced at 380 hours

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast