Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Interesting question- but again would require a HUGE sampling to determine anything (including the oil-possibility).

It does happen from time to time, however (just like any other electrical or mechanical component).

Don't see (actually have never seen) an electrical or mechanical failure in this particular pump.
    Don, if you have not seen an electrical of mechanical failure, do you know what is causing the leak? The reason I ask mine is leaking...SN#1B720687

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    No sir... I do not. Will continue to watch for commonalities... so far, nothing that stands out (although it's very difficult with such a small sampling, as described above).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Thanks Don, I was just thinking that if it is not a mechanical failure it must be an internal seal or oring or something like that. I understand that you have said before the pump is not serviceable so it has to be replaced. It is a shame to see so many of these high priced oil pumps having to be replaced because of something as simple as a seal if that is all it is.

4. Member
    Yes. 2011 Opti. Been to the same mechanic 4 times before he identified as an oil pump problem. He kept telling me that it was hoses. It's actually at another place being replaced right now. Luckily, my warranty expires at the end of this month.

5. Member
    09 with 580-600 hrs mine need to be replaced.
    2009 24' Lake & Bay bay boat
    Yamaha f300
    21 OFX 3 blade croxton 5900@59mph

6. Ken Braun
    can you see it leaking around the pump? Just want to know what to look for? Thanks K.B.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Braun View Post
    can you see it leaking around the pump? Just want to know what to look for? Thanks K.B.
    Mine had oil dripping off of the bottom right corner of the oil pump looking at it from the front of the motor.

8. Member
    2011 250 proxs, serial number 1B861555. Looking for oil pump part number. Registered a new account with Don and cannot find the part number on his site. Can anybody help? Noticed yesterday when cleaning thermostats and doing other maintenance that mine is leaking. Motor has 364 hours. Thanks

9. Member
    My 02 had a problem. After many attempts to fix the problem, it was finally figured out that the metal had porosity. Seepage was on the back of pump that was flush to mount. Only way to see it was to loosen the pump and have motor running. Merc did replace it for me.
    518 DVX

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by castforcash View Post
    2011 250 proxs, serial number 1B861555. Looking for oil pump part number. Registered a new account with Don and cannot find the part number on his site. Can anybody help? Noticed yesterday when cleaning thermostats and doing other maintenance that mine is leaking. Motor has 364 hours. Thanks
    Call Rhonda.....

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TNTriton View Post
    Anyone have problems with their oil pumps on their Optimax or am I just that unlucky? I have an 03 225 Optimax with 350 hours and this is the second oil pump that has started leaking on me. Has anyone else had this issue? Just trying to figure out if it is a common problem.
    Short answer is...yes. 07 300XS did leak after a couple hundred hours.
    2000 Stroker 300XS -Black Creek Lives Matter - Pat Paulsen for Pres.

12. Member
    04,250xs with 270 hrs just had mine replaced it was leaking out of 2 of the three bolts

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by castforcash View Post
    It's in the air-handler section (not the oil injection section, where you might expect it to be).

Rhonda can also assist you directly (email is best):

If you want to order or price Mercury Engine Parts or Accessories...

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

14. Member
    Thank-you Don, much appreciated.

Just wondering if anybody has disassembled a oil pump and seen what was leaking yet
    2013 Pre-Johnny Ranger RT 178
    115 PRO XS
    Due to the increase of ammunition prices... There will be no warning shots
    Honda certified Master technician 33 Years

16. Member
    Yep my 2011 at 229 hours and 5 years, replaced under warranty. My buddies 07 opti with 260 hours is now leaking as well. Seems like the sampling is going pretty strong to say these things will leak after some time on them. My mechanic told me he had 5 others come in a short time after i brought mine to him. We originally were chasing the upper crankshaft seal and replaced that only to end up changing the oil pump. All is good now.

Man..i cant believe somebody hasn't took one off and disassembled it just to see whats up....
    2013 Pre-Johnny Ranger RT 178
    115 PRO XS
    Due to the increase of ammunition prices... There will be no warning shots
    Honda certified Master technician 33 Years

18. Member
    Yes. 2008 250HP ProXs. 145 hours. Bought the replacement from Don and installed it myself. Not a big deal. Had to take it to
    a dealer to prime the new pump though. $35 for that.

question for you guys that have had multiple pumps go out. what oil are you using?

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy Rod View Post
    question for you guys that have had multiple pumps go out. what oil are you using?
    Doesn't matter.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast