2011 MERCURY 150 OPTI

last night while on the water i put my motor in reverse and it engaged but then wouldnt engage back into forwarded or neutral so wouldnt come out of reverse its like the cable broke or something not real motor mechanic savy just wondering if someone can point me in the right direction to find the problem before i start taking things apart 2011 z118 ranger 150hp pro xs

2. Member
    remove cowl see if shift linkage is moving fowards and back if so possible gearcase problem [hope cable just popped off] might better put ser.# in too /hope this helps

3. Member
    So removed the cowl and the pin/rod came unhooked thank God got it hooked back up but worried it's gonna happen again I'm going to post a couple pics if any one sees anything funny looking let me know thanks
    Last edited by johnrt; 03-30-2016 at 01:28 PM.

4. Member

5. Member

6. Member
    IM GUESSINg i want it like photo #2???

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Correct. And you need to snug that nut down just enough to keep the upper retainer from being able to rotate when you push down on the tab at the other end.

BTW... 2.5L Forum is the next one down the list.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Sooo that pin came off again hooked back up just like in photo above but won’t go into forward goes into reverse but it’s like something’s gonna break if try any harder trying to push into forward any ideas?

9. Member
    john try this flip the clip around that holds cable in place start engine ,don't need to shift without running,try it, if still hard may have gearcase problem
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    john try this flip the clip around that holds cable in place start engine ,don't need to shift without running,try it, if still hard may have gearcase problem
    THE BOTTOM DOUBLE u looking clip bellow the wing nut looking holder??

11. Member
    no the clip just under the nut that pops off just spin it around/ put the end of retainer that's pointed slightly to the right in top pic over end of cable
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

12. Member
    ahh man im not sure what you mean

13. Member
    ok in the bottom pic see the clip that came off just spin it around

14. Banned
    Did you get this fixed? I had the same thing happen to me the other day. Doesn't the other end of the upper retainer connect to the shift cable? Question for Don.....I tightened that nut down pretty far (showing 4-5 or so threads), would that be ok? The white gasket still has some play.

15. Member
    think he did,yes other end