Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Funny story Pat. Love.it.
    Mark Blackburn

89'184DCR, ProV 150
    Hobbies: bilge diving and standing in traffic.

Hey Paul. Did Steve say why he is getting out of the prop business?
    Mark Blackburn

89'184DCR, ProV 150

Pat what do you think it would do to my performance if I took the jack plate off or changed.to a 6" hydraulic?
    Mark Blackburn

89'184DCR, ProV 150

4. Member
    It's almost impossible to find a used 175, so I will probably go with a 200 when that time comes. I never fish tournaments anyway. That 184 should haul the mail with a 200.
    2000 Sprint 221 DC Tournament
    2000 Mercury 200 carb
    Humminbird 898c si
    Humminbird 865c
    Lowrance X48

5. Pat Goff
    Slow you down about 3 mph. It'll handle a bit quicker, but you'll lose some lift. Hydraulic will not be any faster than a manual plate, but they are convenient for easing through shallow flats and dropping the motor when it gets really rough.

Quote Originally Posted by texomaman View Post
    Pat what do you think it would do to my performance if I took the jack plate off or changed.to a 6" hydraulic?
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

6. Member
    I have a 88 184. It was set up with a 175 Mariner amd 6" plate with a 23p laser 2 when I got it. It was a good all around boat for fishing and occasionally pulling skiers. When the motor blew I repowered with a 97 2.5 200 efi Merc. I know it's over powered per the tag but these boats handle a 200 no problem. The 2.5s power delivery is amazing compared to the old 2.4 running a 25p Tempest I can GPS in the 70s still getting too many RPM so probably gonna try a 26 or 27.. But I love still having the ride of the 184 but being able to trim up and run with the big boys is awesome. It's like a whole different animal with the 200 on it.

7. Banned
    Hey Paul. Did Steve say why he is getting out of the prop business?
    He sold it. He is making jackplates now. The shop is open but its owned and ran by someone else.

8. Member
    My 200 is bored over some too. I forgot to mention that. It had a bad cylinder when I bought it so the guy I bought it from punched it out a little I can't remember how much exactly. Put in Carbon Fiber reeds and a few other upgrades.

9. Member
    I have recently bought a 91 184SC. Motor blown, swapped with a 150 merc blackmax. Strong engine. 23p Quicksilver prop with a recent rework. Really good cup in edges. 6in plate. Center Prop 5 inches below pad (not offset in back of hull). Boat jumps up on plane, but only runs 52ish at 5k rpm. Entine hull is literally out of water. What am i doing wrong? Seems like 5k rpm is low, 52 is too slow, but boat is lifted and it jusmp outta the hole.

Hope yall might have some insight

10. Pat Goff
    1st: Make sure you're getting full throttle. Simple but common
    2nd: Borrow a known good 23 tempest or yamaha M wheel, then you'll know if it's prop or motor, then you'll know which direction to go.
    3rd: You should be mounted 2nd hole from top?
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

11. Member
    My 175 wouldn't run with the 23p Tempest Champion stamped prop I had. It took off great as soon as it planes out and I started trimming up it blew out. I ran it on my 2.5 200 one day just for grins and it was fine. I got the prop from Dave Schlick he said it would perform better than the lazer 2 but it didn't on my boat for some reason.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Txbasshunter77611 View Post
    It's almost impossible to find a used 175, so I will probably go with a 200 when that time comes. I never fish tournaments anyway. That 184 should haul the mail with a 200.
    Here's a 2005 Opti. with only 125 hours. http://www.anglersportmarine.com/use.../motor/id-1207

The old original Black Max was a hoss. For me personally, anything from the XR2 forward I choose Yamaha. That is just me.
    Mark Blackburn

89'184DCR, ProV 150

14. Member
    i just bought a 89 184sc. If I decide to put a jack plate on it what's the ideal size?

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmgoffjr View Post
    Shhhh, this is probably not widely known...
    The ONLY difference between your 150 and a 200 is the reed block, carb diameter and oil pump. Period. Put on 200 reed block, carbs and oil pump, you now have a 200 yamaha. (stage I kit)
    I love this shi##!

Quote Originally Posted by Aksn905 View Post
    I have recently bought a 91 184SC. Motor blown, swapped with a 150 merc blackmax. Strong engine. 23p Quicksilver prop with a recent rework. Really good cup in edges. 6in plate. Center Prop 5 inches below pad (not offset in back of hull). Boat jumps up on plane, but only runs 52ish at 5k rpm. Entine hull is literally out of water. What am i doing wrong? Seems like 5k rpm is low, 52 is too slow, but boat is lifted and it jusmp outta the hole.

Hope yall might have some insight

Like our fellow member says makes sure your getting full throttle. With the engine off take the air box of and look at your butterfly s in carburetor they should be perfectly horizontal not miss not less #2 if someone had the advance limiter moved that might happen too.
    My engine is stock and I hit 60 with a full tank and me alone. But I have my advance limiter set to stop me at 5400 RPM since I don't want to blow up my engine.
    This past winter on a cold day my little boy and I hit 63 with a 1/4 tank of gas. That's the only time that happened.
    I got a 150 GT
    CATCH N RELEASE

17. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Castinforkeepers View Post
    i just bought a 89 184sc. If I decide to put a jack plate on it what's the ideal size?
    Congrats on the Champion! I'm thinking 6" Rapid Jack, but someone who knows better than I should be along shortly.

I have a question about running a 200 on my 184. I talked.to my mechanic about a stage kit for my Pro V 150. He said he would do it but feels I am better off selling the 150 and buyind a carbureted Yamaha 200. Minimal equipment chang out and more power. Here is my questions for those who have run a 200 on a 184. Am I less likely to experience chine with or without a jack plate running a 200? If the jack plate is a better option what size? I have an 8" manual now with my 150 and I feel like it is too much. Would a 25M or 25P be the best wheel for the motor? I ran a 26 on my old 200 black max on a ranger, no jack plate. It ran like a scalded ass ape but had no, zero, nada hole shot. My mechanic said he could find an old carbureted 200 Yammy and go through it to make sure all is good for less than 2000 and the boat would scream. Thoughts, advice?? I am considering a change next winter. The 60 gps I run now fast but I would like to know I have more power if I need it.
    Mark Blackburn

89'184DCR, ProV 150

I'd call Wayne at HydroTec. He'll really wake up that ProV for ya and answer any and ALL questions ref your engine. Your plate is fine. Chine walk "aint" a bad thing, learn to drive to prevent it and you'll get 100% out of your hull.

20. Member
    Here is the good news Greg. A fish will not pass you at 33 mph.
    True my friend but a guy in a kayak thru his rooster tail on me the other day!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast