Thread: Brake Smell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Brake Smell

Long story short I picked up my boat from the dealer (13 Eyra) last weekend where it was getting warranty repair which entailed removing my entire brake system and reassembling on to a new trailer frame. Nothing whatsoever wrong with the brakes when I took the boat in.

While I was driving home from the dealer (2.5 hr ride) I felt the trailer jump once when I hit the brakes, but didn't think anything of it bc it seemed like a one time occurrence. When I got home I noticed more than normal amount of brake dust and s strong brake smell. Figured maybe or was everything resettling since the entire brake system was taken apart.

went fishing today and the same thing happened. LOTS of brake dust on the back axle wheels (single axle braking) and a strong smell of brakes. not sure how hot they should be, but I reached in and touched the rotors abd they were very hot.

Any advice here? Considering everything was just put back together by the dealer and they are a decent drive away I was just wondering if there were any quick tests I could do myself? Really don't want to drive all the way back to the dealer for this.

Possibly the emergency safety cable has inadvertently been pulled and the brake system is under pressure. Under the front coupler there is a light metal L shaped detent release. Press that to release pressure and check the cable to see if the knuckle or yellow tape is exposed which is the indicator it was pulled.

(1) This happens as often someone steps on the cable when moving between truck and boat. (2) Also people forget to release the cable when unhitching and it gets pulled. (3) The other situation is moving around with a tow motor or tractor and they don't connect the emergency cable, then it gets hung on something and gets pulled inadvertently or it gets hung on the tractor in a bind where they often connect it to the swing arms.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    Possibly the emergency safety cable has inadvertently been pulled and the brake system is under pressure. Under the front coupler there is a light metal L shaped detent release. Press that to release pressure and check the cable to see if the knuckle or yellow tape is exposed which is the indicator it was pulled.

(1) This happens as often someone steps on the cable when moving between truck and boat. (2) Also people forget to release the cable when unhitching and it gets pulled. (3) The other situation is moving around with a tow motor or tractor and they don't connect the emergency cable, then it gets hung on something and gets pulled inadvertently or it gets hung on the tractor in a bind where they often connect it to the swing arms.
    Thanks BCB, will check that in the AM. If it was pulled, how difficult is this to replace? I have an extra breakaway cable from BassCat, so assuming this has all the parts needed? Also, and chance it might just need to be rebled?

We doubt it needs re-bled. You should check the UFP manuals on line regarding routing the cable for replacement if necessary.

5. Member
    We doubt it needs re-bled. You should check the UFP manuals on line regarding routing the cable for replacement if necessary.
    Going to unhook the boat in a few but just had someone pull the boat forward while I listened for rubbing. Sure enough, there is definitely rubbing on the brake pads against rotor while driving. Going to unhook trailer to see if cable has been pulled.

Depress that little tab under the coupler!

Its small and hidden!

7. Member
    And if that's not the problem, look at the brake line as it goes through the trailer tongue to see if it is kinked. A kink prevents the brakes from releasing.

We don't believe a line is easily kinked unless they were kinked in the Pivot Tongue or original manufacture.

9. Member
    I was only able to depress it once while hooked up to the boat, but the once I unhooked,every time I would depress it, it would pop back out into the normal position. I snapped a pic of the cable in the tongue with the L not depressed and I do see a yellow tag. I also checked the brake line in the tongue and no kinks. It's not like the trailer is constantly braking very hard (not can I feel braking behind the truck unless actually hitting the brakes) but wheels covered in brake dust and a strong brake smell certainly tells me the brakes are being over applied.

Attached Images Attached Images

It does not appear to have any issues from your image. Feel heat carefully after you stop and determine if there is too much heat from driving. They do squeak a little at ramps and parking lots in some cases. You will notice that when dry rigs are being towed at events.

11. Member
    Possible caliper needs replacing?

12. Member
    It does not appear to have any issues from your image. Feel heat carefully after you stop and determine if there is too much heat from driving. They do squeak a little at ramps and parking lots in some cases. You will notice that when dry rigs are being towed at events.
    Thanks BCB. I never really listened for this before today, but should you hear the pads rubbing on rotors under normal driving? Could hear it when on my hands and knees listening this AM. Thanks and happy Easter!

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by apdanos View Post
    Possible caliper needs replacing?
    Strange that I never smelled this before, and only did after picking boat up from dealer which is 2.5 hrs away. Doubt the caliber went bad the 4 days the boat was at the dealer?

Call UFP/Dexter Service in Tennessee and see what they have to say.

BCB

15. Member
    Called UFP today and they offered some ideas, but still not sure it's figured out. They said to check to make sure calipers were installed correctly (bleeders on top), and I don't see anything wrong with the way it is installed. I'm wondering if the brakes just need to be rebled. I called my dealer and they said they fully bled them, so not sure why they would need it again.

the one thing I did notice is that it seems like the caliber piston is not depressing.

Attached Images Attached Images

The calipers may not be releasing, though they are depressing if they are taught.

17. Member
    The calipers may not be releasing, though they are depressing if they are taught.
    Agreed. They certainly are depressing, just not releasing. Going to do some more troubleshooting and will let you know if I figure anything out!

18. Member
    I recently had the same problem after purchasing a new truck. The new truck sits a little higher than the old one so I purchased a hitch with a longer drop. Only problem is the trailer was sitting just a little too low and because of that was slightly pushing in on the surge brakes. My wheels were covered in brake dust and were very hot to the touch after only towing for a half hour. I went back to the shorter hitch and problem solved. Good luck with your trailer issue.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pipefitter597 View Post
    I recently had the same problem after purchasing a new truck. The new truck sits a little higher than the old one so I purchased a hitch with a longer drop. Only problem is the trailer was sitting just a little too low and because of that was slightly pushing in on the surge brakes. My wheels were covered in brake dust and were very hot to the touch after only towing for a half hour. I went back to the shorter hitch and problem solved. Good luck with your trailer issue.
    Thats a good idea,but my setup is the exact same as last year. Hitch height has not changed at all, and never had issues before.

20. Banned
    I have a suggestion, take the damn back to the one who did the work and tell them to fix it. You had no brake issues before and now you do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast