2016 Mercury 115 four stroke problem

The motor is basically brand new. It will fire up and die less than 5 seconds later. This motor is on its first tank of gas! What would cause the motor to die like this? It will not stay on no matter what. It fired up just fine and ran earlier. Now it just dies. Any suggestions why this is happening?

2. Banned
    No idea. Maybe your selling dealer can easily troubleshoot the problem.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Probably pulling air (or running out of fuel).

Fuel system on this engine "dead-heads" to the rail... and air must be purged for the engine to run properly.

How low is the fuel level? Is there an external (racor-type) water separating filter?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    The fuel line worked it's way off of the connection to the motor. The crimp was not tight on the hose. It's tight now. Runs great again.

So glad to hear you found it and it was simple to fix. I really wish these motors has a primer bulb. Twice I have had faulty fuel line connectors on different motors in the past and I caught it because of the primer bulb.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The newer VST's (Actually, it's called an FSM or Fuel System Module) do not require (and should not use) a Primer Bulb. Low pressure fuel pump draws fuel in (and if a primer bulb were installed, it would flood the system when pumped).

Solid connections are a must, regardless.
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 04-04-2016 at 07:08 PM.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    The newer VST's do not require (and should not use) a Primer Bulb. Low pressure fuel pump draws fuel in (and if a primer bulb were installed, it would flood the system when pumped).

Solid connections are a must, regardless.
    Don,
    Is this true for ProXS as well? I have a 2014 115 ProXs and it has a primer bulb. I have not had any problems but just curious.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

8. Member
    Curious, vst is an acronym for?
    2015 RT178 - 75HP Mercury Four Stroke

Quote Originally Posted by dwardmba View Post
    Curious, vst is an acronym for?
    I think it stands foe "Vapor Separator Tank". It is where the fuel pump and filter is located

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

10. Member
    Got it, thank you.
    2015 RT178 - 75HP Mercury Four Stroke

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    Don,
    Is this true for ProXS as well? I have a 2014 115 ProXs and it has a primer bulb. I have not had any problems but just curious.
    Bill the system on the optimax is different than the 4 strokes. Your engine DOES require a primer bulb.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The 4-strokes use what we technically refer to as an FSM (Fuel System Module). The later ones have no mechanical float (some of the earlier ones have an electric float switch).