ST v/s LT tire and trailers

Found this article about the types of tires that are available. I thought the article did a good job explaining the difference and why one type over another.

http://rvingwithmarkpolk.com/2012/11...s-vs-lt-tires/
    Last edited by TightLip; 03-23-2016 at 04:30 PM.
    "I see dead people"

2. Member
    I will say this....if you're towing a camp trailer be it a single or tandem axle DO NOT use the cheap POS chinese tires that come on it. I don't care what any salesman of mfg tells you....they are crap and WILL blow out. The best 15" tire available is the Maxxis 8008, spend the money, get a good reliable tire and keep it properly inflated. If you have a bigger 5th wheel that weighs in excess of 12,000 lbs. again, you DO NOT want the chinabombs like Goodyear Marathons (used to be good) Tow Max or any tire that says made in China. The best tire going is the Sailun S637 235-85-16 which I'll admit is also made in China but Sailun is THE top tire mfg. that makes mostly 18 wheeler tires. These tires are beasts, the brand new GY Marathon 235-80-16 tire that I took off my 34.5' Mountaineer weighed 36 lbs., the Sailun S637 weighed 67 lbs. and I swear the sidewall is at least 1" thick. They are an E rated tire @ 3750 and 110 psi and will need a wheel that is marked on the back that it rated fror 110 psi. I bought them from a dealer on ebay that goes by "rustybore", 4 of them cost $700 shipped to my door. Best money I've spent for this 5th wheel.

3. Member
    I agree with the last post on not buying the Chinese tires. I had one blow out on the first trip I took on a big fifth wheel and they were just put on brand new. They were called Hi Run. Stay away from those or you will be sorry. Been there, done that!

4. Banned
    Problem I have is my wheels are 14", tandem, and only about 2" between the tires. I couldn't go up to a 15" wheel if I wanted to. That being said the Hankook RA08 is the best tire for my situation. They're D rated with a load index of 104 and R speed rating. Huge improvement over the stock china bomb's which are C rated and K speed rating.