Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    As another rt owner, I can confidently say you wouldn't be disappointed with the ranger. Like stated, the only thing you'll gain with another boat is speed and rough water ride. Sometimes I wish my boat was faster, but then I remember how inexpensive it is to run that 115. Haha. If you ever make it down to SoCal I'd be happy to take you out and let you get a feel for it on the water.

2. Member
    I know if I was fishing on the Delta I would want the 150. Yes it uses more gas and yes it may cost a little more to maintain, but their are dozens of posts on this forum from Ranger owners who complain about the RT188 or a facsimile of not being rated for a 150. Also, the quality of the Trackers, their customer service and their new designs keep getting better. The fishability on the Tracker is no different than Ranger, Triton or Crestliner. Heck, I don't even know what that really means. All tin boats made today are great boats. You will be happy with whatever you buy. I would definitely take some time to get to know the dealer, base your decision on proximity and how comfortable you feel with them and their service department and then look them up on the internet before you make a decision to get an idea what other people have experienced with them.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrc.in.wi View Post
    Don't forget operating costs. Bigger motor means more gas, oil, maintenance, and more gas to haul it, more wear and tear on tow vehicle.

The one area the bigger motor wins, is the 150 will do what the 115 will do speed wise using 3/4 throttle and get about the same fuel consumption according to Mercurys tests.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

4. Banned
    My Triton X18 is very stable. I'm a big guy and dock fish a lot which means I'm standing by the rail. It doesn't tip at all.

On my way too look at the rt188. Going to go look at the tracker Thurs then make a decision. This has all been great help.

Well went ahead and made a purchase. Thanks for everyone's input. It help with things to think about. Ended up getting the 195 txw. The ranger I looked at was very nice. But after pricing them out, out the door was only a 300 difference over the rt188, and I got a 500 rebate/gift card to BPS and 20% off for 2 yrs on any BPS purchases. That will come in handy when I upgrade to the hds gen 3s and stuff like that. Overall I just really liked the layout a little better on the 195txw.

7. Member
    I don't think the discount is valid for electronics.

8. Member
    That decision is a win win scenario anyways. Both are a good boat.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyghtryder_9 View Post
    Well went ahead and made a purchase. Thanks for everyone's input. It help with things to think about. Ended up getting the 195 txw. The ranger I looked at was very nice. But after pricing them out, out the door was only a 300 difference over the rt188, and I got a 500 rebate/gift card to BPS and 20% off for 2 yrs on any BPS purchases. That will come in handy when I upgrade to the hds gen 3s and stuff like that. Overall I just really liked the layout a little better on the 195txw.
    Congrats on the new rig. Great choice! I was in your shoes 3 years ago deciding between an RT 188 and a PT 190. Went with the Tracker for deeper/more storage and the better riding hull in rough water. I couldn't be happier!! The higher bow is a non-issue (I think some folks want to be in a perfectly flat boat like a glass) but in regards to practicality, there is absolutely no discernible difference when fishing from the bow of my PT 190. If anything, I like being a little higher for sight fishing. Enjoy the rig!

10. Member
    Make sure you post some pics and it would be nice to see a video of it on the water, wide open of course.

11. Member
    Congratulations
    2015 RT178 - 75HP Mercury Four Stroke

12. Member
    Congratulations on the new boat. I'm sure you'll chomping at the bit to get it on the water.

I think you were wise to keep asking questions and going back and forth to make comparisons between the boats. Having taken the time to weigh the pros and cons of the different boats is the best way to get what fits your needs.

Dealer said he has a 195 txw being built right now, so I should get it in about 4 weeks ( which is perfect since I go for acl/pcl reconstruction next week). I'll definitely put some pics and videos up once I get it on the water.

14. Member

USA

Make sure you have room to store it. Heard of a guy who was going to put his boat in his garage, but it wouldn't fit by a foot. Then he had to scramble to find a place to store it.

15. Member
    Since the Tracker is packaged with the 150, you'll pay a swap out fee for the 115. I would not recommend this - the 150 will burn the same gas as the 115 at cruise.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyghtryder_9 View Post
    Congrats on the new boat. Despite what certain ranger owners will tell you, you bought a great boat that will serve you well.

I'm 99% sure your discount card won't work for electronics or trolling motors. Mine didn't when I bought my boat in 2013 but hopefully they've changed it since then.
    2013 Pro Team 190
    2013 Mercury 115 Optimax Pro XS
    Minn Kota 70# Edge
    22p LightSpeed Prop
    Humminbird 898 at console
    Humminbird 598 at bow

Congratulations on a new boat. Have fun.

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxTide View Post
    Since the Tracker is packaged with the 150, you'll pay a swap out fee for the 115. I would not recommend this - the 150 will burn the same gas as the 115 at cruise.
    Not planning on swapping out the 150 four stroke for a 115.

And even if the discount doesn't work on electronics, I do tend to buy a lot of tackle so I will get my use out of it.

19. Member
    It wont take long to burn up $500 on tackle and boat necessities. Nowadays a couple of life vests will eat that up.

20. Member
    both great boats & couldn't go wrong either way. Congratulations!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast