1997 hydro sport 205 R

what do you guys know about this boat? It has a 200 Johnson on it, what is top end speed? does it chin walk? how big is the fuel tank?

52 gallon gas tank under the seat. It shouldn't walk if it's set up right. Top speed 65 to 70
    Russ Heibert
    Wentzville -Lake Ozark Mo.- Brandenburg Ky
    1996 205 LS Hydra Sport 200 Optimax

3. Member
    Top speed I've been able to get is about 58. It fishes really well. If I fine tuned mine, I'd probably have a better hole shot and top end. But that's the exact boat that I have.

4. Member
    Thanks for the info

5. HYDRA SPORT LS205 225HO JER-1 BIG BASS's Avatar
    I have a 1998 LS 205 , with a Johnson 225 HO on the back, 50 gal fuel tank.
    i can run bout 65 mph gps at 5800 5900 rpm. With 2 talons 12' footers on back, with a 10" jackplate.

6. Member
    So far light gear, half tank of gas, and a 4 blade prop is 65.8 mph GPS into the wind. On the way back 1/4 tank of gas and wind to my back 65.8 mph GPS. I'm thinking a 3 blade prop I should hit 68. FYI I have no Jack plate

7. HYDRA SPORT LS205 225HO JER-1 BIG BASS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wack'em & stack'em View Post
    So far light gear, half tank of gas, and a 4 blade prop is 65.8 mph GPS into the wind. On the way back 1/4 tank of gas and wind to my back 65.8 mph GPS. I'm thinking a 3 blade prop I should hit 68. FYI I have no Jack plate
    4 blade prop more stable running better in turns, gets more bite so boat won't slip out from under ya

My dad bought my boat new. The dealership set it up for him. 10" jack plate. 200 intruder 25 shooter prop. (I think a shooter. Might have been a laser) it ran 71 with radar and stable. Over the years it lost some speed. When the motor finally blew up with me a year ago 65 was the best I could get on gps. I put a Mercury on it with a 25 trophy I've hit 71 (gps) but the boat isn't as stable and is very weight sensitive. If I'm loaded. 65 is all I can get. Earl designed that boat for a 10" jack plate
    Russ Heibert

9. Member
    I'm not arguing, but I question why a boat designer or manufacturer would design a boat to have an aftermarket piece put on it to attain maximum performance. Granted, the new boats I can almost understand because they can leave the factory with a plate or they've set their dealers up with a jack plate manufacturer and get kickbacks, etc... But I just don't understand that line of thinking for older boats. If I were to design a boat (which I couldn't even design a cardboard boat) I would want it leaving my factory with everything it needed to attain max performance.

10. Member
    The reason be MONEY,for one.Most people who buy boats,then and now just want a boat set up to fish.A maufactuer can not set up a boat to fit everyones needs and wants

11. Member
    Earl left Hydra- Sports in about 1985,long before they began building LS series boats.He began building Stratos boats way back in the 80s

He started Stratos then he sold out to OMC and part of that deal was he would be ceo over bass boat division. At the time They had Stratos, Javelin and Hydra Sports. That's why you could only get a Johnson or Evinrude on them. He designed the pad That is on all of our boats In 90-91. OMC patten it. It was years ahead of everyone else no ride like it then Then he left in 96 and started Triton.
    Russ Heibert

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mashfan26 View Post
    He started Stratos then he sold out to OMC and part of that deal was he would be ceo over bass boat division. At the time They had Stratos, Javelin and Hydra Sports. That's why you could only get a Johnson or Evinrude on them. He designed the pad That is on all of our boats In 90-91. OMC patten it. It was years ahead of everyone else no ride like it then Then he left in 96 and started Triton.
    I stand corrected,,,Thanks

14. Member
    Would anyone know if my 97 h.s 205 R has wood or fiberglass transom?

15. Member
    I've never had a reason to look at the inner workings of the transom, so I have no clue. But I'm curious as well.

16. Member
    I know Stratos used marine plywood for transom and stringers until 98. I would assume any OMC boat prior to that would contain wood.

17. Member
    I have a 97 205e, wood transom and floor
    Eat, Sleep Fish
    1997 Hydra Sport LS205 - 1998 Johnson FastStrike 175
    Defeated, Tennessee
    Where Smallmouth is King