Thread: New to Garmins

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    The controller in my drone has all that and a lot more - including a built-in autopilot and builtin stabilization and far more advanced software for 1/10th the price. Marine stuff is waaaaaay over priced.

The only reason we dont see cheap copies of the point 1 is the relatively small market for them. Although its hard for me to imagine the drone market is much larger than the boating market.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post
    What carrier and phone do you have? Im with Verizon and the GPS works fine on my LG G3 with data off. I have used the mapping and GPS features when well outside any coverage many times. The GPS also works fine on my older Windows phone that has been disconnected from data and service for a couple of years.

The network thing can increase location accuracy at times but isnt a requirement. The GPS functions are independent.

I also fly RC planes and drones that use GPS sensors for positioning and speed information and holding position and for flying pre-set courses, return to home etc. No network access at all for them and they work fine.

I have a GPS receiver in one of my models that receives every GPS satellite system on the planet at the same time with 10 hz update rate. It cost me $80. Add in a compass chip for about another $30 and an 8 axis gyro for AHRS compensation for another $30 or so and you have everything thats in any boat heading sensor on the market. All you need to add is one more chip to convert the output to NMEA 2000 and a regulator for power. Those wil cost about another $30 or so total.

Or you can buy the whole mess already integrated into a single unit that also has a built in 16 channel programmer to control servos and up to 8 speed controllers and a radio receiver for the motors on the drone plus numerous built in pre-programmed functions. As is, it outputs the data on a Can bus, but that could easily be reprogrammed to output NMEA 2000 instead. They are very close already. That entire unit cost me just over $100 last year. There are better and cheaper ones out now.

Those are retail prices.
    I think you are mis remembering . I'm with verizon and google maps just recently added a "home range area" that you download to your phone that copies a map area that you can access while offline. Your phone gps doesn't work if you don't have data on.

3. Member
    We will have to disagree on that then. Like I said - been there done that and the GPS works fine :)

Google maps may not work when your off the network, but the GPS isnt effected. Try a different mapping program and you will see that your location works just fine as long as its turned ON.

We will have to disagree on that then. Like I said - been there done that and it works fine :)
    I just verified. I turned data off and gps location on. It wouldn't find my location. Turn data on and presto, location found.

We will have to disagree on that then. Like I said - been there done that and the GPS works fine :)

Google maps may not work when your off the network, but the GPS isnt effected. Try a different mapping program and you will see that your location works just fine as long as its turned ON.
    This thread says that in 20-30 minutes gps may lock in without data:
    http://androidforums.com/threads/gps...a-plan.517773/

I'm inclined to believe that from my experience. I've never waited 30 minutes before so I wouldn't know.

6. Member
    I edited my post - try a different mapping program. I use the Nokia HERE mapping program and the Navionics HD boating app and a few others and they work just fine with no data and no cell service at all.

7. Member
    Cell phone GPS chips are not that good generally. Some are better and some are very bad. They especially have a hard time indoors. Its mainly an antenna problem. There just isnt room inside a cell phone for a good GPS antenna. Even if they had a good one, you probably would hold the phone for a good alignment anyway.

Thats why they offer the wifi network add-on to help with location accuracy and speed.

The GPS still works - as well as it can - with no data and no service.

8. Banned

the gps isnt affected but you need a cell signal to draw the map. doesnt do much good to see a blue dot on a blank screen you can download areas for viewing offline though. you also have to rememeber that some devices, like the wifi only ipad, do not even have a gps chip in them. they rely on cell signal to calculate position

9. Member
    My question was does Garmin offer a GPS antenna that provides the same functionality as the Lowrance Point-1? What I'm hearing is they do not.At 899.99 that GPS antenna provides way more than what’s necessary to parallel the functionality of the Point- 1.

It’s interesting a company like Garmin doesn’t have a GPS antenna to compete with Lowrance or Hummingbird. (7600 series is such a fantastic unit.)
    Lowrance GPS ANTENNA LOWRANCE POINT-1 $199.00

Humminbird AS GPS HS | GPS Receivers $199.99

10. Member
    My question was does Garmin offer a GPS antenna that provides the same functionality as the Lowrance Point-1? What I'm hearing is that they do not.At 899.99 that GPS antenna provides way more than what’s necessary to parallel the functionality of the Point- 1.
    It’s interesting a company like Garmin doesn’t have a GPS antenna to compete with Lowrance or Hummingbird. (7600 series is such a fantastic unit.)

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    the gps isnt affected but you need a cell signal to draw the map. doesnt do much good to see a blue dot on a blank screen you can download areas for viewing offline though. you also have to rememeber that some devices, like the wifi only ipad, do not even have a gps chip in them. they rely on cell signal to calculate position
    True, but it also depends on the mapping program. HERE and the Navionics App use downloaded maps, so no wifi or cell service needed.

If you're stuck with that cheap, antiquated iPad stuff, well then.....

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Binder View Post
    My question was does Garmin offer a GPS antenna that provides the same functionality as the Lowrance Point-1? What I'm hearing is that they do not.At 899.99 that GPS antenna provides way more than what’s necessary to parallel the functionality of the Point- 1.

Thats a good point. The Lowrance doesnt have compensation for heavy seas, but mst inland fishermen dont need that.

I also wonder why no one has come out with a cheaper version yet. Even at $199, thats still way over priced these days.

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Binder View Post

if youre worried about cost just use the point 1. NMEA is NMEA

I simply didn't want navico so I went with airmar. they make the garmin heading sensor for them.

https://www.boemarine.com/products/l...nna-map-199-00

you could also use the new Precision-9 compass

http://www.lowrance.com/en-US/Produc...9-Compass.aspx
    Last edited by TroyBoy30; 03-24-2016 at 04:51 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12